forum

Philosophy of Improvement at Osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gungnir
BACKGROUND:
Before we begin with what I've been doing, let me first link my profile: https://osu.ppy.sh/users/4390199

As of today (March 3rd, 2019) I am ranked 73,852. Of course, that isn't too impressive for those on the upper echelon of the Osu playerbase, but what makes this remarkable is that I jumped from rank 107,920 to 73,852 in Roughly 1 month (37 days) after taking a 3 year break from Osu completely. When I came back to Osu 1 month ago, I could barely play 4.5+ star maps. By "Barely", what I refer to is that I couldn't hold a combo, sometimes I'd die and my accuracy was all over the place. Now I can FC 80-90% of any 4* song, I've FC'd a decent amount of 5* songs, and I can play some (not all) 6* songs decently and few 7* songs without dying.

This isn't bragging, this is credibility. After adopting the philosophies below, I rapidly improved. In a span of 37 days, I jumped up 34,068 ranks.

This isn't some deep life altering idea or belief but it is one that I would like to impose on everyone who reads this. It has been said hundreds of thousands of times but let me say it once more, officially, so I can add myself to the list of people who said it in a post. Play Osu for fun.

I will admit, it's fun to gain ranks. But at the very core of things, what you want definitively (In my opinion) is to:
1. Be able to play for fun and genuinely enjoy maps regardless if you pass or fail
2. Do not care for rank, accuracy or combo count
3. Understand, above all else, every single time you hit a circle, every single time, you are, without a doubt, improving.

Tilt

What holds people back from improvement is tilt. I am an ex-league player (Yes, I quit), who got to platinum before I decided to quit. I won't go into details, but anyone who's played league of legends with the intention to climb understands tilt. Essentially, tilt is an altered state of mind in which you perform worse than you normally do because of a build up of negativity from "bad teammates". For Osu, it's from "Shit misses".

The astute people will already know where I'm going with this but let me introduce an example. If someone practices something with 100% effort every single time, they will most certainly improve faster than if someone gives 50% effort. It's common sense.

Following this example, when a player is "Grinding PP", they are either cycling through maps (Which is a good idea) or spamming 1 single map back to back (Very, very bad). I'll discuss why cycling through maps is good later, but for now, let's bring the example above down to explain. It's common knowledge that the more someone "Spams" a map, the worse they perform. This is because of tilt. The intent to FC a map, the shaking of your hand, the strain of your wrist, your heartbeat in your chest, you're so close, and then X. You miss one. You're frustrated, you're disappointed, you're angry, you want to try again. You didn't take a break, so you decided to restart ASAP and because you did, you're taking the feelings of failure, anger, and disappointment with you.

When you're tilted, you aren't performing at your best. Unfortunately, most players don't recognize tilt and they continue to play for hours while they're tilted. If you're tilted and you're playing maps you know you can do well on and you end up doing worse because of the tilt, the tilt itself worsens. Depending on the severity of tilt, you're playing at a degraded level of skill that you normally play. This can be translated to 50% effort. If the connection hasn't been made yet, then let me make it crystal clear.

Playing on tilt is the same as half-ass playing Osu and can build bad habits and actually regress skill.

Avoiding tilt

Avoiding tilt is the hardest part of improvement because it's in our human nature to be upset or excited when we fail or succeed. However, avoiding tilt is vital in improvement. The best way to avoid tilt is to adopt the philosophy that I stated above. You do not play for rank, do not play for combo, do not play for accuracy, do not focus on statistics. Feel the music, Feel the rhythm, Commit to song and never stop half way especially if you're new. Playing for fun is undoubtedly giving 100% effort and you will begin to improve if you're able to remove tilt from your playing. That said, I wouldn't say I'm tilt proof, but what's important is that I am aware of tilt, and now you are too.

The moment you feel like you're tilting, the moment you're angry or frustrated that you shitmissed, this is what I would do:
1. Change the map. (I don't know the EXACT reason that this helps, but I would say that by changing the song, the pressure of "Man, I shit missed after a 475 combo, I hope I can reach 475 again." because we all know what that feels like. By changing the song, you're starting fresh and the disappointment of the previous song is left behind. At least, it should.)
2. Take a 1-2 minute breather. Let the disappointment fade. Your spent all your focus on that one map, you don't have an infinite supply. Let yourself calm down and revitalize before you try again. I recommend listening part of a song on youtube or just occupying yourself for a little bit of time. I promise you'll get less tilted or avoid tilt completely with this method.

More insight on this topic that I'd like to give as to why we start to perform worse as we repeatedly play a song is this: When we play a song we know we can FC the pressure is increased than compared to if we play a song that we know we cannot. When we get to a high point of the song and we're close to FC'ing the song and we miss, that specific moment becomes an ANCHOR in our minds. We will replay the song, and in the back of our minds our focus is being divided in two as we think about "not shit missing the same part of the song" and as a result, shit miss in an earlier part of the song because of our diverted attention. From there, the cycle continues and gets worse. Avoid this situation by referring to the above.

Autopilot vs Focused

No, not the mod Autopilot.

I believe there are 2 kinds of playing. Autopilot and Focused. As I played Osu's and reflected on what it means to be "good", I began to see that there were 2 different kinds of play that were somewhat related to each other. It is hard to explain these concepts but I will try my best. Autopilot is a reactionary kind of playing where a player sees a circle and simply reacts, allowing muscle memory to dictate the movement. Focused is the kind of play that every single person who ever played Osu played at when they first began. The conscious effort to see the circle, analyze the approach rate, then react to the approach circle. I believe that these 2 play styles are another large reason why players aren't improving.

The important part of Autopilot playing is that it forms bad habits. As I played those maps with crazy jumps, I found myself not even thinking as I went and hit those jumps. Of course, it's a good feeling to hit crazy jumps and find that it was effortless. Your mentality becomes used to that kind of playing, a reactionary, thoughtless flick of the wrist and tap. This kind of playing is prevalent on very fast based jump maps. I believe anyone who reads this can attest to that kind of feeling of playing Osu thoughtlessly.

But remember, the keyword is muscle memory. To play on autopilot, you have to first get to a good enough skill level where you have developed muscle memory in the first place. Once you begin to play on autopilot, you cease to play with a Focused play style.

Let us say that you are able to play 5* songs. You got good enough to the point where you can play them decently, but you've hit a wall and no matter what song you play or how much you play, you just can't improve or you're improving very slowly. Why is that? More likely than not, you're playing on Autopilot. It may not be clear exactly what I mean still to some of you, but let's put it this way. When you play a jump map, mind you, the most difficult one you're able to play, are you focusing on EVERY SINGLE JUMP (Your eyes follow every single one and look directly at every single circle or do you just mindlessly, reaction-based, flick your cursor to each jump without even noticing/timing the approach circle without much thought?

It sounds crazy right? To be able to focus and time every single approach circle when the circles are popping up all over the screen and very quickly one after the other and at AR 9 or AR 10 for some of you. But that in itself is Focused playing. For a lot of you, doing what I just described is going to be very hard, for some of you, you already might be doing that. Those of you that say, that's impossible, the jumps are too fast, are the ones that have an Autopilot dominated play style and are the ones that are stuck at their current level of playing. Most common among these kinds of players is that when they play slower maps, they are EXTREMELY inaccurate and cannot play them accurately even though they can play much higher difficulty, faster maps. If you are this kind of player, then this is the remedy to fix it.

To break it down simply:
Autopilot - Muscle memory, reaction based, thoughtless.
Focused - Analytically, timing, conscious effort.

As you play on Autopilot at a decent level, the moment you step into higher level maps, if you're relying on reaction alone and you aren't timing it then you're inaccurate and you're subconsciously learning how to play based on reaction, not rhythm. You are therefore building bad habits that will come back to bite you. I can attest to this completely.

However, if you play with a Focused play style, you will begin to find that 'fast' becomes 'slow'. Your timing improves significantly because as you stare at each circle and time each approach circle, you're training not just your accuracy, but your reaction since you have to time it correctly. If you drop the reactionary play style and begin to hone your focus, you will undoubtedly improve and find that you will begin to be able to play faster and faster maps with more accuracy.

Another interesting thing as that as your Focused play style improves, so to does your Autopilot play style. But as your Autopilot play style improves, your Focused does not. This is important because the only true way to improve is by playing with a Focused play style.

Why Focused play actually works

Assuming you read above, this will be quick.

What do you learn when playing on Autopilot?

You learn how to simply react. As you play harder and harder maps, your habits get worse. You begin to rely on speed and that is why people with Autopilot dominated play styles cannot play slower maps or are stuck at their current level. Whether you realize it or not, you aren't training to get better even though you can play hard maps. You can play 5* songs or 6* songs, but you can't play them well. You also can't play 4* songs accurately even though they are literally easier than 5* and 6* stars.

By playing with a Focused play style, you are training yourself to rely on the approach circle. You are training yourself not just to react, but to see, analyze, and then react. You are training your mind to 'see' the approach circles and over time, you will build the habit of tapping only when the approach circle reaches the circle. Amazingly, your muscle memory improves and then adapts to the fact that you are focusing on the approach circle and you can actually Autopilot accurately (But only up to the point of your current skill level, not beyond it.) To improve, you must constantly always be playing with a Focused play style.

I hope you read those 4 drop downs. That's all I have to say on the matter of improvement. Anything else is redundant. I hope I opened up some of your guys minds. This is my first post so feel free to flame me.

As a final note: IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANT THAT PLAYING OSU FOR FUN IS A REQUIREMENT. THE MOMENT YOU TILT, YOU STOP IMPROVING. THE MOMENT YOU PLAY ON AUTOPILOT, YOU STOP IMPROVING.

Edit: Approximately 2 months since Hiatus, 3/29/2019, Rank 58,407
Edit2: 3 months since Hiatus, 5/1/2019, Rank 41,793
Vuelo Eluko
the next woobowiz inc
- euphoria -
all of this is so true and relatable holy shit...

to add on, i feel that improvement should be treated as a process, not a result. improvement shouldn't be forced and should come naturally instead. ultimately, its about having fun. you improve way quicker when you enjoy what you're doing.
mulraf
also let's face it: you'll probably not become the next cookiezi. you'll probably not even become a 3 digit, maybe not a 4 digit either (in std, in other gamemodes it'll be easier of course but that's another topic). no matter how hard you try. maybe you'll make it but the competition is extremely hard and not everyone can be the best. so it's good if you're enjoying the game even without ranking up. that's what games are for in the end.
"You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want" - Gingistoteles Freecupernikus
My Angel Jeremy
good post
Topic Starter
Gungnir

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

the next woobowiz inc

Who's woobowiz?
Vuelo Eluko

mulraf wrote:

also let's face it: you'll probably not become the next cookiezi. you'll probably not even become a 3 digit, maybe not a 4 digit either (in std, in other gamemodes it'll be easier of course but that's another topic). no matter how hard you try. maybe you'll make it but the competition is extremely hard and not everyone can be the best. so it's good if you're enjoying the game even without ranking up. that's what games are for in the end.
"You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want" - Gingistoteles Freecupernikus
4 digit really shouldn't be that unobtainable. Just keep playing, 3 digit or higher takes exceptional dedication and skill though, I think it's easy to underestimate just how much skill it takes; I have seen some truly incredible players from my perspective fall from 3 digits to 1k.

Seems to move a lot slower nowadays too which is nice, I was dropping sometimes as much as 40-50 ranks per day when i was rank ~7k, 20-30 if i was lucky. it was nearly impossible to keep up, but now that decay seems to have tapered off immensely based on the graphs I've peeked at.
SpasticSurgeon
Similar rank bros
mulraf

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

4 digit really shouldn't be that unobtainable. Just keep playing

- 5 digit, joined 2013, 45k plays to another 5 digit, joined 2012, 60k plays

i mean yes it's easier than getting to 3 digits for sure but i don't think we can say getting to 4 digits is easily doable as 5 digits after so many years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ tbh much respect to everyone who makes it that far.
Seat Ibiza TDI
PLS enjoy game
Ideal

mulraf wrote:

disagree with everything except the last 2 sentences
Almost
You missed the part about being so tilted that you should just take a break. Also, I would recommend people to check out the books The Mental Game of Poker 1 and 2 as it gives a better approach to dealing with tilt.