forum

How can I learn to play hardrock?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aliexpress Hein
At the moment I play 4 star maps, and I can handle ar 9 or maybe 9.3 if I have to. Lately I've been wanting to play with mods, but just how can I learn hardrock when the hp drain is so high that there's no room for mistakes?
I asked in the chat and of course I got some douche bags underestimating me cuz im a 6 digit :(
Juuuuuuuuul
Same as everything you want to learn : start with easy stuff and up the diff slowly.
Vuelo Eluko
od9.8/10 can feel extremely overwhelming though if you're still getting somewhat subpar acc on od7. Once you start cashing in those 300 katsu's at the end of combos (i.e when the numbers in the circles reset) for the big hp boosts with reasonable consistency, hard rock drain doesn't feel so bad anymore, you realize you can even afford a few misses here and there in most maps without failing. When you're still struggling just to acc though yeah it feels like walking a tightrope and you're struggling to keep from draining out even when you are holding the combo. The ar and cs just makes it worse.

Basically play more and it'll get better.
thewhitewhale
The easiest way to be good at HR is to be good at nomod first. Playing HR should come naturally if your nomod acc is consistently around 99%. The main element of difficulty when first learning HR comes from the high AR, which makes it easy to hit late or miss at first (and then fail because the HP drain is so darn high). I ended up going with HDHR because it's much easier on the eyes. And of course, anyone will fail a lot when starting out with HR. Don't be afraid to play with NF on until you can consistently pass stuff with HR.

Now about the specifics: I personally don't think it's a good idea to learn HR at your rank. It messes up your reading and encourages whack-a-mole gameplay at lower ARs. I personally started really going for HR around rank 90k, and even now I think that was a bit too early. I've got nothing against people who wanna do it anyway though. The best way to learn HR is to first play on maps you've already FCed, preferably 0.5 - 1 stars below your usual nomod level. If you're already familiar with the patterns and rhythms, you can focus more on reading the high AR, then later you can try playing new stuff with HR.
Topic Starter
Aliexpress Hein
Thanks for the tips guys, I guess play more is the best option then :thinking:
Rikii
If HR was easy, everybody would play HR right now.