forum

From Membrane to Mechanical (Help)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sir_download
So yeah, I've been using membrane keyboard for like 5 years till' now for typing jobs and other stuff. I've been also playing osu mania for 2 years now using that same membrane keyboard until last friday. I bought my first mechanical keyboard (RAKK Kimat Xt.2 AE Gateron blue switch) for 51 USD (2,650 Php). But something is wrong and I still feel it. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new keyboard, so bad that even if I replay my favorite maps on osu mania, I barely score an S or something.

Any advice for mechanical keyboard users out there?
Makimoke
The problem might come from the type of switches you're currently using. You went for blue switches, whereas you should have gone for either red or brown, as they don't have that "click" blues have so it's less annoying to play with. Also Gaterons are fine when typing, but are somewhat meh for games, especially rhythm games, in my opinion.

So you have two choices: either send back your keyboard and get some cherry MX Browns (my personal recommendation), using a G710+ with modified keycaps and I've never ever had a problem with it input wise. Way better than my old windows keyboard.

The other choice is just to power it through and play nonstop until you get a feel for your keyboard. It's normal to feel different about a different keyboard, you'll just need to adapt. Type a lot more with it, play around on some training maps, get the limits of your own keyboard before trying to tackle higher difficulties.

I'm sorry I can't give much more advice than that, but let's hope you'll be fine even with only this.
Trialith
As Makimoke said, a problem might occur from the switch type itself. In general, any blue switch has its reset point above the actuation point, which makes multiple fast actions on a single key essentially unstable (read: you can't jack with blues comfortably). If you plan on playing mania even a bit competitively, I'd recommend returning the keyboard and get something with either brown or red switches. If possible, try both of them out and see for yourself which one do you prefer.

I also had the same issue when I first got my mechanical keyboard - I couldn't play anything that was even remotely hard. It's also a matter of getting used to it, a new piece of equipment is generally going to take some time to invest into so you can get the most out of it.

In general, I wouldn't suggest carrying on with this keyboard, unless you're gonna do more typing than playing games.
Topic Starter
sir_download

Makimoke wrote:

The problem might come from the type of switches you're currently using. You went for blue switches, whereas you should have gone for either red or brown, as they don't have that "click" blues have so it's less annoying to play with. Also Gaterons are fine when typing, but are somewhat meh for games, especially rhythm games, in my opinion.

So you have two choices: either send back your keyboard and get some cherry MX Browns (my personal recommendation), using a G710+ with modified keycaps and I've never ever had a problem with it input wise. Way better than my old windows keyboard.

The other choice is just to power it through and play nonstop until you get a feel for your keyboard. It's normal to feel different about a different keyboard, you'll just need to adapt. Type a lot more with it, play around on some training maps, get the limits of your own keyboard before trying to tackle higher difficulties.

I'm sorry I can't give much more advice than that, but let's hope you'll be fine even with only this.

Yeah, probably so. On the brght side, the keyboard is actually capable of swapable switches so I think I would swap the switches for the keys only ( D, F, J, K).
Bobbias
The other thing people aren't discussing in in general the difference in feel of a mech keyboard can throw you off for a while.
Minisora

Bobbias wrote:

The other thing people aren't discussing in in general the difference in feel of a mech keyboard can throw you off for a while.

This right here. I recently switched from membrane to mechanical with red switches a few months ago. I’ve basically been using membrane keyboards for 6/7 years before I switched. My accuracy definitely tanked when I first made the switch, but now I can play comfortably with the mech keyboard.
Bobbias
I played on laptops for around 10 years before switching to a mech kb. It took me quite a while to feel comfortable with my switch from laptops to cherry mx red switches, and my acc is still all over the place. But at least I feel comfortable playing on it now.