forum

[invalid] Can't find .osu folder to make a symliink on mac

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
darsparx
Problem details: I am using the latest release of lazer trying to import my existing beatmaps and have been pointed towards things trying to solve it, but as far as I can tell on Mac(like I tried to state when I realized the issue) this folder doesn't exist anywhere so that I can make a sym-link to it under my user profile. I've been racking my brains for the last 3 hours today and 5 yesterday trying to figure out where the wrapper on mac would create such a folder that somehow I'm missing and can't find even with hidden folders turned on because as far as I can tell it doesn't exist anywhere. (I really have looked all over for what folder I assumed the line of code was looking for and I'm unable to find it, Osu is installed where all mac applications are which is in the Applications folder, and there seems to be no evidence anywhere of the folder I need to make lazer recognize it on MAC)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Lazer 20190.227.0 (latest)

(I know it should be relatively simple but I simply can't find what it's looking for to even make the symlink...)
Death
Lazer is still a work in progress. Issues with it should be posted on GitHub instead of the forums for now.

With my very (very) limited knowledge of what lazer is looking for. I believe it is looking for an osu! folder in /Users/<username> or /Users/<username>/.local/share, or something like that (my macOS knowledge is more limited than my lazer knowledge). If you right click on your current installation and show the package contents, you can probably find the current path to your osu! folder.
Topic Starter
darsparx
Thing is I did, and Peppy didn't think I was reading or something. From what I can tell it's looking in the former, but because of how the mac version is built that doesn't exist. I don't really know to ask it on the github apparently since my issue got immediately closed and then locked after I told peppy I couldn't find the folder the referenced line of code was looking for anywhere on my system so that lazer would find it(ofc the reference material I looked up for that specific thing may have been wrong). From what I could tell it should be in "/Users/<username>" but it's not there, and going digging into the app by showing package contents didn't get me anywhere either(and I'm almost certain if I try to ask again I'll likely get blacklisted from the github after what happened last night in me asking questions about it not working properly on mac and my failed attempts to find such a folder so that it would work properly)

(also I'm sorry if any part of this comes across as rude, I'm terrible at wording things and getting a little frustrated trying to figure this out)
Death
I'm not saying your osu! folder is in /Users/<username> right now, but that is what lazer is looking for to my knowledge.

You should 100% be able to find where your osu! folder is located by digging around in your package contents. I'm not sure what to tell you if you can't find the actual location of your osu! folder through that. Contents > Resources > drive_c > osu!. Not sure if you can create a symlink between one folder and another folder in some app's package contents, but that's where I know you'll find all of your files.

If you can't figure it out, just redownload some maps that you want to play. I really don't think it is worth spending an absurdly long amount of time to figure this out. And again, this subforum is not meant for troubleshooting problems with lazer, so I'm not sure how more there is for me to really add here.
Topic Starter
darsparx
I don't know either. I created it, and swear I tried to say that before I was booted out of doing anything with the issue on the github. I can't imagine what probably few people that do play on mac are going to know to create this, and with how I did it, it didn't work unless I'm just daft. I know good and well it works on the windows version like I tried to say, but it doesn't work at all in the mac version but got basically quieted when I mentioned it on the github or discord as a potential issue. I'm terrible at wording things and scared that I'll mess it up to the point that it'll get me blacklisted from doing anything when I get confident to try and do coding on this >_>