forum

Am I jumping a gun here? Am I rushing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
circlejerker
Alright! So for context, I'm a new-ish player. 851pp or so with meh accuracy, picked up the game about 2 to 3 months ago (only just got my first tablet in late December, started actually playing in November despite having the account long before then.) with the objective of finding a game to play that was a ton of fun while still feeling fairly rewarding. I've started to dip my fingers into 5* maps a few weeks back (although, for memes, I attempted a 6* and somehow, someway actually completed it. TV-Size, yeah, but I like that little achievement for what it is, and it's to it's credit a REALLY fun map..)

Went back to 4* and found myself enjoying myself just as much as I would have if I had found a fun 5* map, and even found that my consistency across the board was a decent bit better after playing a few of the songs that I did.

So yeah, title. Don't wanna gimp myself in some way that could come to bite me in the neck later, but at the same time, I don't wanna be stuck playing some songs that are just too easy, either..
Synyster
The things I've seen that works best for me is to find the star rating you're most comfortable with and stick with that. But only stick with it until it becomes too easy but also always try to play songs out of your comfort zone. Back when I was you're rank I was playing 4.5-4.9*'s and some where challenging. So always challenge yourself but not too much. (playing songs that are way out of you're comfort zones 6*, 7*'s etc) Just enjoy the game as much as you can. Try to remember that the game is made for having fun with a little competitiveness to it.
Topic Starter
circlejerker
Oh, definitely. The game's just too much fun to take it to the point of supr srsness, but yeah, I couldn't help but wonder if I was dipping too far in. Anywho, thank ya's!
illyTheKid
Personally, I've decided that any map I get lower than 90% accuracy is too hard for me so I've started playing 3* maps focusing on accuracy and slowly advancing forward. Only now getting in to lower end 5* maps. I used to play maps way above my comfort zone when I started and saw absolute 0 increase in skill, only wasted time.
Vuelo Eluko
Take this with a grain of salt because I am bad at this game, though I have been around for a long time and watched a lot of players rise and stall:

You can play stuff in your comfort zone and be on basically same "star skill" forever but with high consistency and acc
You can play hard stuff and sacrifice consistency and accuracy for the satisfaction of being a hard pass player
You can alternate between the two and generally improve over time slowly...

Most people do one of these three things.

But when it comes to the really exceptional players that I have witnessed ranking up and growing the fastest, there's one thing I noted between most all of them: they predominantly play maps just above their comfort zone, maps that while difficult, definitely feel in the realm of possibly fcing, and they grind these maps til they fc them and that eventually becomes their new comfort zone, then they raise the difficulty bar again. They learn to focus and read the hardest by doing this, I believe.

Speaking for myself, this seems to be the most stressful and difficult way to play, at least compared to just playing hard maps where fc is impossible so you don't dwell on combo, and a lot harder than playing comfort zone maps that you know you can fc. Do what works for you.

And don't spam retry too much no matter which you choose to do.

Those that parrot the idea of play more and have fun and you will improve often fail to mention that how you play is also very important.
--alice
I'm in a similar situation as you are. Started in November and have played a bunch since then. I found that a good mix of 5, 6, and 7* maps is good mixed in with 4* maps. I also found the most helpful thing to me to improve was just to play as many different maps as possible to try and improve reading and so on. Definitely don't waste time playing maps that you just fail instantly and can't even read, but also don't spend a lot of time grinding maps that are easy for you just to get a good score, because that wont help very much.

Good luck on your grind!!