forum

[Archived] Explain Beatmap Difficulties (with different mappers)?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Beidou
Hi (big noob),

So recently I was looking through some beat maps when I noticed that it said that it was someone else's difficulty

EX: dj TAKA - Quaver by sotarks
there was a difficulty called "Kencho's Insane"

So is that like a collab? Or is it a feature in the editor? (Like you can edit the beatmap and make your own changes but it wont be ranked (like to practice)

But there's a button called "Create a new Difficulty..."

So if I click it, it makes a new unranked difficulty and you get to map it and stuff

But if you try to upload it, it says the beatmap isn't yours.

Then it makes me wonder: can you submit another difficulty to someone else's beatmap set or is it some sort of 3rd party collab?

(sorry for stupid question)
jacksonisiah
Yes, it sorta is like a collab. You would have to submit the difficulty directly to the mapper to be included in the set. You can't submit a difficulty to someone else's map set like that.
Miniature Lamp
When it's something like [__'s __] that means it's a Guest Difficulty (GD) made by someone other than the map creator. If it's a collab it often either just says [__ + __'s __], [__ vs __'s __], or just [Collab __]. When it comes to submitting your map, when maps are submitted they get unique beatmap IDs that prevent them from being resubmitted to prevent people from stealing or repoeting maps. If you want to upload your own separate map of the song you can copy and rename the mp3 and use that instead (in the Song's Folder accessed from the File tab of the editor), and then it will have its own beatmap ID. (And if you want to do a Guest Difficulty you'd ask original mapper for permission first and then send the .osu (also accessed from the Song's file))