forum

Have I hit a noob wall? best way to progress?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Johosu
Hi all, beginner (420k rank, 440pp, 2.5-3*) here and I feel like I've hit a wall.
-So I'm wondering if i've reached the point where I need to actually try hard & git gud. (which feels early since i don't feel average yet)
I'm mostly playing for fun.

Now, I know practice makes perfect is everyone favorite tip, but before even considering practice I am confused on the way forward.
I can fairly reliably FC <2.5* songs so I don't touch them much anymore
But I struggle to pass 3.2* song, so I have a really small "challenging yet passable" range.

problem is i can barely get pp in that set up, most of my best pps(~25) are "flukes, i have a hard time replicating" or songs I somehow connected with/practiced and managed to well beyond my skill level.

thus I rarely get new "best" pps.

So I just discovered that Mods can have a major impact on pps, should I play more with mods?
Should I try to pass higher rating songs?
should I just try to extract more pps how of the songs I can already clear (improve accuracy/ combo)
-I've been doing this middling success, but it doesn't feel worth it.
Should I just keep playing songs in my skill range?
-they somehow push me up in rank, but rarely give any pp.(pp score tend to be ~15)
speaking of which, how does ranking work? I know its pp based, but are there hidden decimals or something, because I move up or down without change to my actual pp count.
Also Beatmaps recommends 2.21 to me, should I trust them? seems way too low.

I don't want to farm pps or hunt for them, id just like to keep playing casually, mostly for fun yet slowly yet surely also move up in ranks. I do expect there to be a wall at some point, but I have a hard time believing at the top 400k.(do let me know if its totally normal for thing to be kinda competitive already)

So yeah, any tips on way to play (mods, challenging rating, just right rating, improving accuracy, focus on passing new songs etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Juuuuuuuuul
- Download 5000 beatmaps
- Sort them by difficulty
- Play them all starting at easy, don't skip stuff, don't retry more than a couple times
- Don't play tired
- Have fun

And there : https://syrin.me/osuchan/ you'll see the hidden decimals.
opakq
-Download a bunch of beat maps, and don't retry maps more than like 4 or 5 times.
-If you can't get about 95% accuracy or higher on 2.5* maps, then don't go past about 3.5* maps even if you are challenging yourself, since it could cause you to form bad habits that might potentially slow down your improvement
-If you get pretty good accuracy on jumpier maps and low accuracy/fail streamier/tapping pattern maps, then you should play more of those types of maps rather than constantly playing the jump maps and vice versa.
-You will get bad and good days, sometimes if you are getting bad days, just take a break, and maybe the next day you'll return even better.
-The ranking works by adding up your all of your pp plays, and your plays are weighted based on your top play. For example, if your top play is about 172 pp, and you make a 131 pp play, you won't actually gain 131 pp, and instead only gain about 101 pp. And yes, there is a decimal value, it isn't shown on the website and will round to the nearest whole number.
-Mods are fun to play around, but you don't really need them right now to improve
-You can play multiplayer to try and get a lot of new beat maps to play and they often won't be farmy maps that everyone plays
Gopal12
You have not hit the wall yet. Download many Beatmaps from torrents and play what you are comfortable with. Download Skin that you like and replace that awful Default Skin And if you want to get good, play some hard maps using NF. That's it. And oh i forgot, P L A Y M O R E.
Topic Starter
Johosu
Thanks for the tips,
Noticed multiple suggestion of mass song download,
Is building your list as you go no good? Every now and then i DL a bunch of new songs, also use the multiplayer trick, seems pretty chill and ppl seem to have good taste.
I'm kinda worried of having too many songs and getting lost in them. plus there's actually liking the songs -_- already feel I have too many i dread trying. but maybe im just not musically curious.

Damn, I'm realizing I mixed the tips and did weird stuff.
Started from 2.2 and tried to clear with 95%+ all songs. Did a bunch, quickly realized I would never get back to my comfort zone at that rate(too many songs).
Did get to squash a bunch of my starting out score, I've certainly improved.
Jumped back to 3 and kept messing up, couldn't even pull 2.5 anymore. I take it I'm tired and will try more another day.

what are jumpy maps? points far apart?

Whats the level? Is it just how much you played? does it reflect skill in anyway? im 50 now (don't know how) and I certainly don't feel 6 lv better then when I made this topic.

Might look into skins... but whats so bad bout the default? looks nice... I think.
mefuri
Hi Johosu!
I also wanted to give the same suggestion about downloading massive number of beatmaps. Besides that, i noticed that we are actually started playing osu in the same month - January 2018, so i want to give additional story on how i actually enjoyed and having fun with 4*-5* maps right now, and you also have a potential to be able to achieve it too. Let's share!
Here's some reply to your latest post.

Johosu wrote:

Is building your list as you go no good?

I can't say it is no good, because I actually started playing Osu! by downloading maps with songs i knew, liked, and loved (especially the meme related ones lol) and still doing it by now. However, i do the 'massive download' by either downloading the new maps of the week, or just download packs once a week. This way, I can still enjoy the songs and try to see if i am improving with the beatmaps i never knew before.

Also important to note, just play, keep playing, and enjoy it!

what are jumpy maps? points far apart?

You're right! The hit objects is far away each other with only little time to move your cursor. sometimes this kind of map rewards more PP as far as i know, you can ask the more experienced people than me for the details. I used to really struggle on jumps because i play with mouse and superhigh sensitivity. I once looked at Jolene (or Tokaku)'s video on osu if pros play with low sensitivity, and tried it for myself. After several days of adapting, i actually able to play jump maps. This is about experimenting and find out new ways to play. Try maps like Harumachi Clover to find out that jump maps actually fun and enjoyable.

Whats the level? Is it just how much you played? does it reflect skill in anyway? im 50 now (don't know how) and I certainly don't feel 6 lv better then when I made this topic.

Level represents how much score you have achieved (though i forgot if it is ranked score or total score). It does not really reflect skill imo, but, you know, having 1000 combo once can get you an 11M of score, so it just reflects somewhat.

Might look into skins... but whats so bad bout the default? looks nice... I think.

Yes, it does look aesthetically nice, but sometimes it can obscure your concentration on the beatmap, i.e. the huge '300', '100', and '50' sprites can sometime block other objects, the slider ball can distract you, the track line too, and there are many more aspects that may affect your gameplay. Currently, i'm using a 'clean skin', a type of skin that is designed to be aesthetically perfect while does not disturb your gameplay. Such skins usually can be described like this:
  1. The 300, 200, 50, and miss score sprite is scaled smaller, like four times smaller than default skin
  2. Also the 300 score sprite is actually not displayed. So if you perfectly click a circle, it is just blank.
  3. The cursor is just one glowing dot and does not vomit unnecessary particles like default
  4. The track lines (lines connecting objects in the same color combo) is usually a simple line. Not chains, arrows, or anything complicated.
  5. The circle does not have any pictures in it, just a simple plain color filling, or even have no filling -- just a colored outline. Some skin even omitted the combo number but i don't recommend that.

When choosing skin, choose anything you like and make sure it does not disturb you in-game. I actually searched Made In Abyss skin, and was surprised it is a clean skin, it is unusual because most anime skins are, have too much distractions like the Nichijou skin i have.

also can we be friends?
Juuuuuuuuul
Sure, download a few maps every days, and play them. Multiplayer is good too.

Use filters and collections to manage your maps, delete a useless/unliked map after you tried it once.

You'll get back, slowly, but surely.
And, don't force yourself to only play easy stuff, play all your maps "by session", i mean start each gaming session with low diff stuff, then increase the star rating slowly, at the end of your session, you should play stuff where you start to struggle. Play new maps every days.

"Jumpy maps" are simple to read maps with close to only jumps in it. Playing this a lot will make you improve to jumps only. But you want to improve at reading, streaming and finger control as well, isn't it ?

Level is determined by score, you gain score even with failled plays. it's not reflecting skills.

Test a few skins and keep your favorites, the default skin is playable, but you will never know if you're more comfortable with something else if you're not trying it.

Don't forget to have fun, you don't need to strictly apply all the advices that we are telling you here, use them to find a good balance between playing for fun and playing for improvements.

And take a look at this :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwPr9mNQblkrqnE758ZM-2O1swCqGPNzf

Sorry for my English. o/

edit :when you're skilled enougth, you'll find boring to play 1* and 2* nomod, use hardrock and/or doubletime to make these diffs more enjoyable.
Rikii
If you enjoy the game you surely will improve, if you like the map try to save to to your collection/playlist so you can go back to them later and maybe play on harder diffs.

You shouldn't be worry about level, rank , or even pp at this rate. Just try to enjoy the game and get better. Playing in multi lobby usually helps since you are forced to play the map until the end and that will get you familiar with harder diffs.

Johosu wrote:

NO. Check Circle People's skin archive (you can find famous player's skin here)
Topic Starter
Johosu
Thanks for additional answers,
maufirf, pretty cool, same join time! massive difference though -_- I guess I had a major "break" and a lot let consistency in playing.
I assume you started from the bottom and got to 4-5*? read about ppl starting at 3* and shake my head in disaproval. It took me quite a while and now I can't even imagine 4*. (but i remember when i thought 3* was impossible, so i know it likely isnt)

Anyway, I'm not a fan of jumpy map because they seem to give too much pp. I somehow actually have a bunch of that Harumachi Clover, and I just know any decent performance will beat all my hard worked good scores. My top one right now is something i'm meh about.

we can be friends, not sure how that works but I certainly don't mind. Thanks

Thanks for all support, good to know about collections will use!
And yeah, started to look into skins some super cool stuff. don't know famous people though so i just went for stuff that looks good (and not crowded).

more playing and i guess my true point is 3* havent pinpointed what are my strenght and weakness, but its odd how I can S or fail songs at same rating. (3.5 is just no hope) ill get there.

and yeah, ill stick with the fun!
illyTheKid

Johosu wrote:

... but its odd how I can S or fail songs at same rating.

It's not just you. I can S/A some 5* maps but can barely break C on some 3* maps. Especially maps like this https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/18315#osu/106965.