forum

[Rule] Don't use Short, Full or Cut ver.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
those
Current Guideline:
Try to refrain from using names such as "Short", "Full", or "Cut Ver." in your map title Unless the extension is part of the song's original title. If you map is substantially shorter than the length of the track, you can add (Cut ver.) to the title.

Ever since http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/1604382, it's come to my attention that there needs to be a consistent way of labeling something as a Cut Version and something as a Short Version. While we're here, we can also discuss TV Size, Full Version, Extended Version, or whatever fits, if necessary.

What should be labeled with Cut Ver.?
A cut in the wave simply refers to the removal of a certain wave section in the music, whether this is at the beginning, end, or a part in the middle.

What should be labeled with Short Ver.?
A Short Version is something that is featured in the source. For example, an OP for an anime is labeled (TV Size), similarly, an OP for a visual novel is labeled (Short Ver.).

What's the difference between the two?
Many themes come with a longer, or full version. A Short Ver. is essentially a Cut Ver. that has already been provided in the album/compilation/soundtrack. A Cut Ver. is a shorter version that someone has made out of the full version, but is not provided in the album/compilation/soundtrack.

Conclusion: from all this, I'd like to propose a rule/guideline that will help make labeling songs more consistent. In general, simply do not add (Short Ver.) or (TV Size) if the song didn't come with it. While this may not be a big issue now, with more and more maps being labeled randomly, there will be a large inconsistency between the two.

Also, while we're on the topic of making metadata more consistent, please continue discussing Eastern Artists Format in this thread: http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/83715
ziin
this doesn't matter.
eldnl

ziin wrote:

this doesn't matter.
Scorpiour
who cares....or...any difference between?
Sakura
(TV Size) is already used, the main problem comes with cut / short / full version.

Normally the point is that we dont have 2 maps with the exact same song name but one is the full version and the other is the short version, by default all songs are assumed to be full version, so never add (Full Ver.) unless a certain exception i'll explain in a momment, And whenever it's a song that was used for an opening in somewhere (besides anime) or that is used in a game (DDR for instance) but it's not using the complete song, Short ver. must be used.

As for Full ver. only exception is since in the past there wasnt much mention of this, and let's assume a beatmap got ranked with the song without (Short ver.), in that case (Full ver.) would be appropiate.
wmfchris

Sakura wrote:

As for Full ver. only exception is since in the past there wasnt much mention of this, and let's assume a beatmap got ranked with the song without (Short ver.), in that case (Full ver.) would be appropiate.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/540
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/16893

This is a special case where both songs share the same name (officially) but musically, significantly different.

btw I don't really think these stuffs matters because for the full version they are usually indicated in the album (whether they are full ver or extended ver or blah blah blah), unless it's the case mentioned above, and they can be handled individually.
LKs
I don't see the significance.

1. There are too many labels to cover them all. I have seen 2x speed ver, accelerated ver, xx ver and xx ver. I've made some cut&add work on a song, then how should I depict? A LKs revised ver?
2. Technically, a short ver as you've said is actually a cut ver, but cut by the producer.
Yasora
before I click the link... I'm already know, the example is Miya's map -_-
Mithos
I don't see a need for there to be a guideline on Cut Version and Short Version. If you do the cut good enough, it should feel like a short version. Especially if the cut is at the end of the beatmap.
HakuNoKaemi
Has "Cut ver." been ever used to begin with?

I don't remember any "Cut ver." map, and it still can be called a "Short ver." or even better, be consistent with the single/album title to begin with.

You won't really cut a song at more than 60-70% of it, so calling it "Short ver." if you cut will be consistent too.
There no need to add a guideline for this.
Topic Starter
those
Let's say a song uses a form depicted by ABCDEFG. This is called Song.
The Short Version cut by the producer uses parts ABG. This is called Song (Short Ver.).
What would I call a version that I have cut that uses parts ABEFG? Surely it can't be (Short Ver.) as well...
Low

ziin wrote:

this doesn't matter.
Mercurial
Cut Ver.: Cutted by the user who decided to map it.

Short Ver.: Official or Album Version from the artist.

btw.

ziin wrote:

this doesn't matter.

End of this story.
HakuNoKaemi

those wrote:

Let's say a song uses a form depicted by ABCDEFG. This is called Song.
The Short Version cut by the producer uses parts ABG. This is called Song (Short Ver.).
What would I call a version that I have cut that uses parts ABEFG? Surely it can't be (Short Ver.) as well...
-Nothing
-Short ver.
-To obtain those type of edit in a decent manner, the used should be a decent arranger or so. so an "Username edit" (if I do something like this... i would use "Haku's Edit") can be decently used, but it doesn't happen than frequently and for the usual cuts, Short ver. is easier and better.
Sakura
I remember that peppy mentioned that everything should just be assumed to be (osu! ver.)
Mercurial
dB soundworks - It Ends (osu! Ver.)

Sounds cool.
Sakura
keyword: "Assumed"

a.k.a dont need to add titles except for TV Sized songs since that's in the name of the song to begin with.
Mercurial
So... What's the end of this story?
Topic Starter
those
Don't add anything then? How can we generalize this for consistency?
HakuNoKaemi
Well, you used to cut songs because of the limit → there's no duration limit (other than marathon minium) → there's no need
Then: someone can want to make a "special" cut → badly made cuts are not-so-easily-timing-able → you need more "pro" cuts → they're rare and it's acceptable to call them "Username" edit→There's no need
Also: there are different version of some songs. differently arranged → they easily mantain the name of the one who edited or so→ there's no need
Mercurial
Since today I'll add (osu! Ver.) title on all short songs :)
show more