forum

Menu navigation suggestion

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Liokardo
How often do you really search beatmaps in the game?

Make WASD behave like arrow keys as default. Space to play selected map.
Press / or Q to search beatmaps.
And now you can have Mods as R and Randomize as E, readily available. Avoid setting Map Options on the numbers, to avoid accidents.

Allow them to be changed in the settings as "Menu Keys" (Dvorak users, personal changes, stepmania etc.).

The alternative can be to keep "Type to search", and have Ctrl/Shift+WASD to navigate beatmaps.
Though I'll argue that my first suggestion is better because holding modifiers strain your hands.
And again, how often do you really search maps in-game?
Having just a single button to search is plain better with those in mind.

This would be a very nice change in my opinion.
caree
I don't see a problem with having the direction keys as the keys to chose Beatmaps with.

Sure it would be easy to make this change and change the keys to WASD but I don't think it bothers that many people . And I don't think it would bother almost noone if WASD became usable to change beatmap with.

And I actually use the search almost everyday, for example when I want to play a song from a certain genre. For example "eroge".

And If I were to play mania I would type "keys=4k" to only get the 4keys maps.

Have no problem with this being a feature in the game though.
Seat Ibiza TDI
I think it is a nice feature. But it is not something that most people need.
Topic Starter
Liokardo

caree wrote:

I don't see a problem with having the direction keys as the keys to chose Beatmaps with.

Sure it would be easy to make this change and change the keys to WASD but I don't think it bothers that many people . And I don't think it would bother almost noone if WASD became usable to change beatmap with.

And I actually use the search almost everyday, for example when I want to play a song from a certain genre. For example "eroge".

And If I were to play mania I would type "keys=4k" to only get the 4keys maps.

I forgot about tags. I know about searching "keys=x" and "mode=x" though.

Using menu keys would be more comfortable to use, I believe it would also be faster (matters over time)
I use a 60% keyboard so I have to hold Fn to get to F1 and F2, I use Randomize a lot.

dat boi waffle wrote:

I think it is a nice feature. But it is not something that most people need.

You mean, it "would be"? This doesn't actually exist at the moment.

If nobody takes note, I may try to find out if I can add that functionality into my client and then tell everyone how they can do it. Then we'll see what comes of it.
Full Tablet
I think having keyboard binds for the song selection screen is a good idea, but the proposed default keybinds wouldn't actually be better for most players, which usually use full or tenkeyless keyboards.

There is no need to map keybinds to typing keys if you can bind to other keys.

Personally, typing to search is the main form of map searching for me (scrolling takes way too much time). And when I decide to scroll, I use the PgUp and PgDown keys and the graphic tablet (hold right mouse key to scroll quickly).