1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
posted
Alright so I'm stuck in a bad position here, I am a left hander and always have been- 5 days ago I switched to tablet and I'm using my non-dominant right hand, as I've always used my mouse with my right hand and keyboard with my left.

I am unable to find a comfortable position to hold my tablet pen, sometimes it feels just weird, awkward, etc.. I know I've only been using it for 5 days but I should be somewhat used to it by now.

I'm able to play perfectly fine with my right hand using the pen, my only problem is what is above.
I tried using my left hand for my pen and I couldn't aim what so ever, but it felt incredibly much more comfortable, but I kept using my right hand as I can't tap with my right AT ALL, can't hit a single note.

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how I can better myself since I can't find a good way to hold my pen with my right hand, here's a picture of how I hold my pen:

I'm worried that I wont ever find a comfortable grip, I often find myself in weird positions with my hand, I hope that I don't struggle with this forever.

Here's my tablet area, since this is kinda useful for anyone reading:

If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
posted
As someone who has played with their opposite hand several times in the past, it gets less uncomfortable over time. I haven't played opposite hand much but each time i do its slightly less uncomfortable than the last. You'll probably just have to play through it and eventually it'll be comfortable to play.
posted

Brainage wrote:

As someone who has played with their opposite hand several times in the past, it gets less uncomfortable over time. I haven't played opposite hand much but each time i do its slightly less uncomfortable than the last. You'll probably just have to play through it and eventually it'll be comfortable to play.

Brainage wrote:

Thank you for taking your time to respond to me :3
posted
Like Brainage said, you'll eventually get used to it.

That said, I specifically switched to tablet so I could use my left hand for aiming, so it strikes me as odd that you'd purposefully use your right hand after getting one. I personally would just take the time to relearn tapping as well, but you do you.
posted
I personally would recommend to use your left hand for aiming. From personal experience, it took me less than one month to get as good with using my mouse with my left hand as I was with my right hand after several years. So I would say left handed people that use their right hand for aiming are limiting themselves.

I think you should at least try it out for a week or two. That is nothing compared to the amount of time, people typically have to practice to get good at streams.

Pen grip and area is something that has been much discussed and the general consensus is for each his own. Also there is nothing about your grip or area that strikes me as particular odd. I think people should experiment more and try out other people styles too, but that's an unpopular opinion.