forum

[Rewording - osu!catch] OD/AR guideline

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MBomb
Hello there!

So I recently passed the BN test, however during it, and having gotten my results, I noticed something in the RC which has contradictory wording to the actual case, something which is especially worrying considering it's probably a case people already misunderstand, due to the status quo of always doing AR=OD in osu!catch maps.

The current RC reads as follows:

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. For cases where the two values are not equal, the Overall Difficulty must be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty.
However, there is a problem with that final part: " For cases where the two values are not equal, the Overall Difficulty must be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty.". The first part of this is actually untrue, as OD being lower than a lower difficulty is actually not allowed, regardless of whether the AR is lower. Worst part is, this is generally considered to be allowed despite in reality not being.

A rewording like such would take away some confusion, however the part in bold could still be problematic if people don't read the rest of the ruling.

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. The Overall Difficulty must be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty.
Any recommended improvements to lower confusion more would be helpful!
JBHyperion
By removing the first part of sentence 3, you're creating a direct contradiction by saying:

a) "Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate."

and

b) "Overall Difficulty must be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty."

without giving any indication as to how or why these might come into conflict, which is even more confusing. The clause

"For cases where the two values are not equal"

is necessary to explain the case where a more difficult map (a "higher diff") has a lower Approach Rate than the difficulty blow it. If anything, it would be better to add to this clause, clarify what represents a viable example of "AR =/= OD", rather than removing the relevant clause entirely.
Ascendance
Wrote in BN server:

Just change the second part (the part that seems to be confusing people) to be a “should” case instead of a “must” case, making it rankable.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

For cases where the two values are not equal, the Overall Difficulty should be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty.
Seems better than current wording with minimal changes to the functionality of the guideline
clayton
I think JBH is right about the proposed rewording being conflicting, but I think another good option here is to actually describe what the "cases" are (since there seems to be only one..?)

alternatively, and IMO more preferably, I think this rule should be changed to just say OD = AR always. the score received from a map doesn't have any direct ties to its difficulty anyway; I don't think a higher diff really needs to have a higher base score multiplier. as it stands, this rule already only affects score by a very small amount
Topic Starter
MBomb
For the record, I think ascendance's solution works fine. Whilst score of course doesn't affect difficulty, I think it does look really odd for score to be lower on a higher difficulty, and being able to possibly avoid it in some cases sounds nice to me.
pishifat
changed a word i guess? is there more to this? https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2156
pishifat
merged