forum

[Archived] .osu file is missing from the folder when i upload my map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IsomirDiAngelo
Problem Details:
Title says all. When I or some friends download my map on the website, it only imports the audio, hitsounds and background. There's not the actual map inside.
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/915563#osu/1912164

Seems to work randomly for most ppl but I can't get it to work for myself and a friend, even after full f5, deleting, emptying bin, re downloading. I even tried to go to cutting edge. No results.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/12726941

osu! version: 20190217
Nigrod
Did you also try moving your ”osu.db” out of your folder and reprocessing your maps?
Topic Starter
IsomirDiAngelo
There's no such file in my folder (is it a hidden file?) and I already reprocessed multiple times

EDIT: It doesn't come from the download itself because when i open the .osz with winrar, everything is in there. But when i open it with osu, osu doesn't import the .osu
Dntm8kmeeatu
Try removing the comma from the difficulty name. I don't think comma's should cause issues, but certain characters are known to bork things up during importing, so might be worth to remove it and try.
Topic Starter
IsomirDiAngelo
Ok it worked! But I really want that comma tho D:
I saw some ranked maps with a comma in their diff name, isn't there any way to make it work consistently, or is it just luck?
Topic Starter
IsomirDiAngelo
WAIT the comma wasn't the problem! I tried another diff name to go better without any comma and it still doesn't work!
Death
Please export your map locally, upload it to some file sharing service, and then post a download link here.
Topic Starter
IsomirDiAngelo
I ended up doing some tests with Naxess and figured out the problem was that the diffname caused the .osu filename to be too long for osu to import it. Above 128 filename characters, it wouldn't work.
I just figured out a shorter diffname under those restrictions and all seems to work fine.

However, I still don't understand why some people could download the map from the website and import it without any problems but some other people like me coouldn't. This kind of issue should probably be looked into details imo as the editor doesn't warn you it could cause any issue when uploading
Dntm8kmeeatu
Normally longer names cause more obvious issues, especially with generating a forum thread in the first place.

Weird
Death
This is because of Windows' silly max path length limit (260 characters). So, depending on where you have the game installed, the full path length may exceed that character limit for some and not for others.

The editor should display an error message if you exceed that limit when trying to save the file. Not sure why it didn't for you, unless you initially created the map, moved your osu! folder or with the map in it to a location with a longer path name (not sure if Windows would freak out then), and then uploaded the map.

Topic Starter
IsomirDiAngelo
I never moved my osu folder lol
Back then I had tried a much longer diffname and the editor displayed an error message and wouldn't let me upload the map so when I reduced it and the upload worked, I didn't think the length of the diffname would be the issue
I think it used to work for me before I updated Windows but i'm not sure