forum

How can I improve my play strategy?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
By play strategy I mean my approach to playing through my songs in order to reach my goal of becoming a better and more well rounded player.

When I play I sort by difficulty somewhere between 4.8 and 6.5ish stars (often smaller bounds) and just press F2 (random) until I wanna play something. I have like 13k maps so I can usually find something I want to play.

When I get into song I play all the way through and then sort it into an accuracy collection (as per Endaris' guide). For example if I got a 96% it would go into the 95-97% accuracy collection.

During this phase I don't bother retrying even when I feel like maybe I should. Even if I 1xmiss a map I will often just throw it in my FC collection but never play it for weeks because trying to FC stuff makes me nervous if I do it too much. This is one thing I'm worried about. I wonder if I should be going for more FCs and retrying a little bit more in general.

When I'm not F2ing I go into those collections and try and raise the accuracy of maps into higher collections. I consider this the refinement phase and I retry more often after considering how I could get higher accuracy.

If I get bored of my songs I go into multi to get some fresh ones and get some competition with others.

That's generally my whole play "strategy". I like to play this way because I enjoy sight reading and like to see a lot of different maps.

My ultimate goal is just to be a very well rounded player and improve my skills somewhat evenly as I get better. With that in mind, if you have any tips or things you would adjust about this let me know.

Also I wanna say that I do have other collections that I mess around in if I just wanna have fun or want to practice something specific. Not a total robot.
Tad Fibonacci
I don't know but there's a really good strategy that's been used by a lot of people to improve.
Have you tried playing more?

In all seriousness though, just play whatever you like, don't bother too much on meta stuffs. Most people don't have a "play strategy", unless you're playing 12 hours a day and are going for pro.
VinZentVanDough

SpasticSurgeon wrote:

Even if I 1xmiss a map I will often just throw it in my FC collection but never play it for weeks because trying to FC stuff makes me nervous if I do it too much.

It seems you have gotten the "full combo anxiety" problem. I personally trained my nerves by instantly playing another map that i want to fc after setting a score that made my heart beat goes to the beat of the big black. By doing this, I've managed to control my nerves a lot better when I know I'm about to set a good score.

Here is my absolutely horrible formula

Long maps = more stress = more nerve control = more pp
UnnamedBeast
find what you're bad at, do that for a while and improve on it

always be challenging yourself a bit, like, things you know are probably fc'able with a few attempts but not sightread yet, just don't tryhard fc.

chaoszerodelta's tip is probably good, scouring his profile he seems to have a few relatively long maps fc's, so it sounds like he knows what he's doing