forum

[resolved] osu! is forced to run on compatibility mode

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PlanetGamingGG
So my osu! is forced to run on compatibility mode and it asked me to Update my drivers in order to get out of it. But my driver is on the latest version. I had a Nvidia GT 630, 4GB RAM, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 3220.

The gameplay is smooth but the thing that bothers me is that when I add a beatmap, it will take a while to load and it shows a black screen. Also upon starting osu!, it also shows a black screen for a while.

Is this purely driver issues or I'm missing something else? Because I believe I saw a topic that suggest me to install Visual C++ Redistributable (Which I did install from 2008 to 2015) but still stuck on compatibility.

Thanks in advance.
Death
You should be able to disable compatibility mode if you hold shift while starting the game. A configuration window should pop up with a checkbox on it.

Alternatively, inside your osu! folder find a file named "osu!.pcname.cfg" (where pcname is the user account on your computer) and edit it in some text editor. Find the lines CompatibilityContext and CanForceOptimusCompatibility, set them both to 0, save and close the file, then start the game.

Also, if you weren't using compatibility mode before, perhaps you are accidentally running the game with your integrated graphics, instead of your nvidia gpu as I believe your CPU has integrated graphics? That may explain why it's asking you to update your drivers when you are already up to date. You could also just need to restart your computer.
Topic Starter
PlanetGamingGG
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Correction I must made: My CPU is Intel i3 3210 (3.2GHz). Not Intel i3 3220.

Some additional info:
I've tried to repair osu before too and do a fresh installation but it still runs on compatibility mode.

I've tried to hold down shift while opening osu!
This is the window that popped up :

The compatibility mode checkbox was not ticked.
I started the osu! using that window, still the same (runs on compatibility).

I've also tried to edit "osu!.pcname.cfg" and CompatibilityContext was set to 0 but CanForceOptimusCompatibility was set to 1 (Which I then change to 0). But it still runs on compatibility mode.

The last one, I never runned it on compatibility mode before. My CPU does have an Integrated graphics (According to https://ark.intel.com/products/71053/Intel-Core-i3-3210-Processor-3M-Cache-3-20-GHz-). I suspect this might be the problem. What should I do?
I've chosen this on Display settings:

And I've chosen the Nvidia GT630 GPU for the GL Renderer (From Nvidia Display Settings).
After the attempts above, the problem still presist.

Also here is my runtime.log (Located on osu!/Logs/runtime.log):
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Initialized
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.0d79a9db3d42)
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0)
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Shader Language version: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00 (ANGLE 2.1.0.0d79a9db3d42)
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Vendor: Google Inc.
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_OES_vertex_array_object
2019-02-16T08:23:42: GL Context: Index: 92019708, Color: 32 (8888), Depth: 16, Stencil: 0, Samples: 0, Accum: 0 (0000), Buffers: 2, Stereo: False
Death
Did you have the game fully closed before editing that config file? Opening that file and changing values before while you have osu! open doesn't always work.

I don't think I've seen the game run with compatibility mode enabled when that CompatibilityContext line is set to 0. Especially if it doesn't change back after closing the game and re-opening the file. Is it doing that?
Ice Poseidon Cx
Same issue here
Death

Ice Poseidon Cx wrote:

Same issue here
Based on your post here it does not sound like you are having the same issue at all considering you can disable compatibility mode if you want to.
Topic Starter
PlanetGamingGG

Death wrote:

Did you have the game fully closed before editing that config file? Opening that file and changing values before while you have osu! open doesn't always work.

I don't think I've seen the game run with compatibility mode enabled when that CompatibilityContext line is set to 0. Especially if it doesn't change back after closing the game and re-opening the file. Is it doing that?

Yes, The game was fully closed when I edited the file.
This is the next day, fresh boot after total shutdown, opened osu! and it still runs on compatibility mode. Closed osu! and verified the config file osu!.pcname.cfg has not changed especially the values you've told to change previously.

I started playing on the same PC around April 2018 and it has no issues.
The issue began after I've reset my Windows 10 PC because it was slow and in the middle of installing osu!, my computer hit a blue screen which corrupted the installation.
The game CAN be played BUT there's no uninstaller (But at this point, I did not verify that it runs on compatibility). Also it shows something about "nvoglv32.dll is either not designed to run on" (Based on my search history), and people fixes this by updating their GPU drivers so I did.
Before I updated it, I tried to manually uninstall osu! by deleting the file (In appdata/osu!) and registry "osu!" and then I install it again.

I will try to do another installation right now to see if that works.

EDIT : Reinstalled OSU after clean uninstall.
Still the same problem.
Death
Did you try clean installing your GPU drivers, rather than just updating them?
Ice Poseidon Cx

Death wrote:

Ice Poseidon Cx wrote:

Same issue here
Based on your post here it does not sound like you are having the same issue at all considering you can disable compatibility mode if you want to.
I enabled and disabled it to stop the micro stutters and fps drops
Death

Ice Poseidon Cx wrote:

Death wrote:

Ice Poseidon Cx wrote:

Same issue here

I enabled and disabled it to stop the micro stutters and fps drops
I understand. That is not the same as the issue in this thread.
Topic Starter
PlanetGamingGG
HEY GUYS! GREAT NEWS!

So the issue that it runs on compatibility mode still exist but my problem is that :
  1. It took too long to load/start
  2. Switching tabs/windows and go back to osu! will cause it to freeze for a while
  3. Add a new beatmap and it will freeze for a while too

But now I finally solved the issue.

It still runs on compatibility mode but no more freezing issues.
This only effects Windows 10 Users which has "Focus Assist".

I noticed that the focus assist keeps turning on/off when osu! started so I decided to disable it.

Now the game runs smoothly and I can enjoy it again.

Thank you @Deadth for your replies, very appreciated it.
I think this issue can also be added on notes about performance issues/freezing issues.