forum

The Elusive Taiko Question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Li77L3
I can't be the only one with this problem. I mainly play taiko and am currently getting close to ranking top 4k globally. Even so, I still like to play standard every once in a while. But whenever I play standard multiplayer, I'll almost always have someone ask me, "How are you so good at Taiko?" or "How do you even Taiko my dude?". I've never really been able to answer this question due to the fact that I have NO idea how I'm so good at taiko, let alone whether or not I'm even good at taiko at all. What's the best way to answer this question? Is taiko just really easy, but standard players are too lazy to try and get into taiko? Or is taiko actually a difficult mode, and we're all just superior beings compared to standard players?
Player-
just play the game lol

I'm pretty sure the problem with someone starting taiko, especially if they've already gotten to a somewhat decent level at standard, is the expectation of where they should start. From most of the vocal people I've seen on the forums or multi, people talk about how taiko's hard to start and all that, but people might not be starting in the right difficulty. I'm not sure if it's because there's a larger sample size in standard, but most people start playing at around 3-4 star difficulty maps on standard, which introduces triples and sometimes some 5 note streams that require alternating between 2 keys, and some aim. On taiko, it's harder to jump into the game starting at 3-4 stars since it requires some more basic reading to get started.

Basically, the problem might stem from how people are comparing taiko difficulty and standard difficulty, when they're not really too comparable in the first place, and end up getting intimidated from the different note patterns on taiko, when it's a lot easier to read on standard, despite the extra aiming aspect. It's possible to start at around 3-4 stars on standard, but less so for taiko.
mulraf
basically most people play standard. then comes mania. then taiko & ctb.
rank 4k in taiko or ctb is no comparison to rank 4k in standard. but people who don't play those gamemodes don't know, so for them it might be something really awesome.
since i'm a 4 mode player it's a bit hard to tell where i would start saying someone is admirable in taiko. but i'd say if you are a 3 digit+ you can be pretty proud about that.
(btw: i don't think there's that much difference between the top 10 or even top 100 in all gamemodes skill wise, since at the end it's getting way more competetive. i just think the ones further down aren't equal. but it's even harder to compare ranks in gamemodes than it is to compare players which shouldn't be done either. but you know what i mean).
Edgar_Figaro
I think people that think Taiko is impossible fall in one of a few camps

A. They tru out osu and play mutliple gamemodes but they are brand new and have awful rythmn sense. Due to Taiko having the most strict OD at low levels comparatively they will hit so off time that it’s a miss. They get frustrated and quit.

B. They are a Standard player and decide to try out Taiko. They have played Standard for so long that they aren’t used to being bad anymore. They struggle on low diffs and find it un-fun and quit.

C. They have a bad monitor and can’t deal with the screen tearing

In my experience most people that tell me “Taiko is impossible” don’t even have 100 playcount in the mode.
DeletedUser_4050493
well I used to be that "how you even play taiko" dude
my first journey was osu!std (got my Top 10k Rank before the old pp remake) and then I started playing o!m (I used to play DDR and GH on PS2 :) ) I tried 7K only at begining and after much rant i'm getting good at it (Top 5k) and the time was come to try o!taiko and *BAM* I have no idea how to play this game, can't even S below 1* even finding the lowest bpm from my library this is the hardest mode I ever tried! since then I never play it like almost 2 year and ended up curious, my young age try to tryhard it more, day to day with C and B on 1* Map I still tryhard to focus on 1 spot but my eyes keep following those circle :( :( :( then after some day I was able to not following the circle and was going to make debut in Oni diff. and once again quitted the mode :( after some month I rethink of playing more taikos since i'm bored and training from lowest BPM Oni until I got my 1st Oni Pass with C Score and keep improving after that hype :) this mode is truly hard tbh, if u want to be good, just "play more" also focus and most of them having fun while improving bit by bit :)
stressing about how hard it is won't help, try it even u can't pass it, u will see improvement as long as u want ~ (Full alt. player kddk btw)