forum

Would you kill a puppy for 18 billion dollars ?

posted
Total Posts

Would you kill a puppy for 18 billion dollars ?

Yes
82.14%
No
17.86%
Total votes: 28
show more
abraker
if someone threatens my life and I am in position to do so, I will do whatever needs be done protect my own life

on the other hand, if someone's horrible action will never affect me, I would want to keep it that way
Westonini

Aiseca wrote:

1 dog saved for all else to die?
Worth it I think.

1 puppy > Thousands/millions of humans?

What if the pup was already knocking on death's door and you had the option to euthanize it and still get the money?

Going by your "wrong is wrong" logic, wouldn't it also be wrong to not choose the option that leads to saving human lives?

Plus not everyone sees wrong/right in the same light, otherwise debates wouldn't exist. In my eyes, saving the pup would be wrong given what small cost there is for a immensely greater outcome.

But to each their own I suppose.
Aiseca
Humans nowadays treat others like animals, so what's the point keeping them alive?
Tad Fibonacci
By that logic why keep the puppy alive then?
It treats other dogs like animals.
Aiseca
Already made 2 posts, still no one gets the other "hidden" response I have to this lol.

tad01123 wrote:

By that logic why keep the puppy alive then?
It treats other dogs like animals.

Dogs treating other dogs as they are is natural.
Humans should treat other human being as they are, and not animals, you think?
Westonini

Aiseca wrote:

Humans nowadays treat others like animals, so what's the point keeping them alive?

That's a pretty pessimistic way of looking at things. And quite the generalization as well.
Tad Fibonacci
What makes you say humans treating other humans like animals unnatural then?
Aren't humans just another type animal on Earth too?
Aiseca
Maybe correct, but......

---------------

Humans are animals. But humans aren’t animals.

POSTED ON JUNE 19, 2014 BY ADAM J CALHOUN (NEUROECOLOGY)

One day, a few anthropomorphized liquid water molecules got together for some coffee and started debating the Exceptionality Hypothesis: that liquid water was fundamentally different from other types of water.

“This is ridiculous,” one exclaimed. “Scientists have shown that water vapor and water ice are made of the same atoms that we are, structured in the same way, and follow the same physical rules that we do. Sure, we stay on the ground but so does water ice! And water vapor may be in the air but it moves around freely – just like us! There’s nothing special about being a liquid water molecule.”

A second rolled their (fictional) eyes. “I can’t believe we’re talking about this. I don’t feel like a gas or a solid. I suppose I agree that we share some things in common with those other two – but we’re fundamentally different!”

The first snorted. “Sure. How?”

Obviously, liquids, gases, and solids behave differently; despite being made of the same molecules following the same rules, if you vary the temperature you get fundamental changes in behavior due to phase transitions. Even if things are made up of the same constituent parts that vary in proportion, you can get fundamentally different behaviors.

OK, so this is a silly little parable. But there’s an article going around the tweetersphere by Annalee Newitz titled “Yes, Humans Are Animals — So Just Get Over Yourselves, Homo sapiens“. I’m sure you get the point:

Yet we have many other behaviors that we share with our fellow animals. Darwin wrote about this in one of his lesser-known works, The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals. Today, hundreds of scientific studies have offered solid evidence that animals from chimps to rats share the same kinds of emotions and motivations that we do.

Many animals also make tools the way humans do too. We’ve long known about tool-making among other primates, but recently scientists have found evidence of tool-use among dolphins, crows, and even sea otters.

Humans may not use tools and express emotions exactly like other animals, but that doesn’t exempt us from animal status. No two species share exactly the same sets of behavior. But we also share far too much in common to pretend that we are some form of life that transcends animal status.

Humans are animals, clearly. We are mammals with an evolutionary lineage that can be traced back just like any other animal on Earth. But there’s a double-use of the word going on: animals as biological entities and animals as moral entities.

It seems what may – may – separate us from other animals is along a moral and cognitive axis. We certainly do have neural structures for decision-making and learning about value that are the same as rats and monkeys, but so do bees and other insects. Yet if you were to tell me that insects are able to master the same cognitive tasks as most mammals I’d wonder about you. You see this implicitly in how we treat other classes of animals: insects are not fish are not mammals. We are fundamentally different.

So we should think about what makes us distinct from other animals. Let’s take a few of the examples in the article. Ants build massive cities, milk (and raise!) aphids for food, and tend fungus gardens. But besides us, ants are unique in this; and as far as I’m aware, these were most likely done on a longer evolutionary timescale and was not done consciously. Yes other animals use tools, but prodding something with a stick is a little different from a using jackhammer or even a mass-produced screwdriver (let alone building and designing these tools to begin with). Other animals may share the same kind of motivations and decision-making, but I have yet to see another animal read a mass-produced text on the other side of a planet in order to guide their decisions. More, there is no other animal that has consciously launched itself into space with dreams of living there.

Even if the biological and neurological components required to, say, design and build a computer are present in bits and pieces of other animals, it is their confluence that is found in us. Perhaps every animal is different in its own way, but let’s be clear: as a species, we can do things that other animals could never even dream of. We have the ability to liberate ourselves from our biology and change our environment in conscious ways that all other animals cannot. We may be animals, but we’re not animals.
Serraionga
reading this thread makes me want a bus to hit me
Aiseca

Serraionga wrote:

reading this thread makes me want a bus to hit me

"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" -Gordon Ramsay.
Tad Fibonacci
From what you said, I guess you're trying to say that biologically, humans are also only animals. But the things that differentiate humans from animals is human morals.

If that is the case, then killing a puppy for 18 billion dollars is the most human thing ever.
Because only humans can understand the value of money and the value of human lives.
Killing a puppy for a lump of cash would be absurd to any other animals other than humans.
Maybe if a carnivorous animal is hungry and would decide to kill said puppy but that isn't the same thing anymore.
Humans would kill a puppy for 18 billion dollars because that sacrifice of said animal could save millions of others.

No other animals would act in a way that a human would.
Animals can use tools just as humans, yes but no animal aside from humans can farm, raise cattles and produce goods.
Animals have ways to communicate but they do not have language, literature or mathematics.
Most animals are limited on how they are biologically designed, while humans can learn from their own mistakes.
An animal does a thing because it works, humans try to understand why it works.
Endaris
You're all assuming it would be a sacrifice and the money would be sent from some foreign nirvana but the truth would be that this money already has human sweat and blood all over it. Nothing comes from nothing.
Westonini
In that case I'm not even sure by whom, how, or why that amount of money would be collected to do something like kill a puppy in the first place
Brainage
I'd rather live the average life than kill that adorable animal and have $18 billion dollars to my name. $18 billion sounds life-changing for the better but in reality most rich people just end up doing drugs and drinking a shit ton of alcohol, and that's no way to live. I'd be much happier living with him than living with that money.
abraker

Tad Fibonacci

abraker wrote:

Is that a movie?
It looks interesting.
Aiseca

abraker wrote:

Disgusting human. Psh.
abraker
the movie Kingsman
levesterz
That not a puppy thats a weird looking plant
Penguin
Oh boy, this thread is full of ripe discussion! How did I miss all of this?

Brainage wrote:

but in reality most rich people just end up doing drugs and drinking a shit ton of alcohol, and that's no way to live. I'd be much happier living with him than living with that money.
Sure, rich people do drugs and whatnot. Poor people also do drugs. There's drug and alcohol abuse among all the socioeconomic groups. You are your own person. You have control over whether you will abuse drugs or not. Just because a group has a higher percentage of people who abuse drugs doesn't mean that you are "more likely" to do it. You are fully in control of yourself.

If you don't think that the money would make you happier, then that's perfectly fine. Not everyone finds happiness from money and that's a-okay.

Westonini wrote:

Aiseca wrote:

That's a pretty pessimistic way of looking at things. And quite the generalization as well.
I agree with Westo
DeletedUser_6869432
This isn’t really a topic for discussion, the money is objectively better than then puppy’s life. 18 billion dollars, like shit how many lives can you even save with that kind of money. How much faster would cancer research progress with 18 billion extra dollars. Even if you are the most selfish extravagant asshole you could give away half and never end up spending it. Humans are superior to animals period. I love animals and hate animal cruelty but the truth is at the end of the same humans do what helps them the most. I’m willing to bet that the people who are like “I wouldn’t do it for 100 trillion dollars” are just scared that they have thoughts about it being logical so they just convince themselves otherwise. Even if you love animals look at the facts, one puppy dying would save AT LEAST 100,000 other dogs/cats whatever from dying on the streets and being gassed. If it makes you feel any better though you can call him dog Jesus.
Penguin

kacper124 wrote:

This isn’t really a topic for discussion, the money is objectively better than then puppy’s life.
I was speaking mostly about the "right vs. wrong" / "doing wrong for the greater good" dilemma and whatnot. I 100% agree with you. It's very silly that people value a dog's life above $18billion. Sure, it would suck ass to have to kill a dog. It might even be extremely traumatic to the person doing it, but at the end of the day, the $18billion will help a lot more animals if you wish to do so.

kacper124 wrote:

If it makes you feel any better though you can call him dog Jesus.
This made me laugh lmao
DeletedUser_6869432

Penguin wrote:

I was speaking mostly about the "right vs. wrong" / "doing wrong for the greater good" dilemma and whatnot. I 100% agree with you. It's very silly that people value a dog's life above $18billion. Sure, it would suck ass to have to kill a dog. It might even be extremely traumatic to the person doing it, but at the end of the day, the $18billion will help a lot more animals if you wish to do so.

Yea the whole problem really is whether it’s right or not but who is anyone to say what is. At the end of the day some guy says something is bad and people agree and vice versa. Would be interesting to see the start of humanity again so we can figure out if we get our morals from nature.
Meah
I would but will someone here volunteer to be that puppy?
ossha
I would yeet that puppy from a bridge for $18 billion

heck i would do it for like $1 million aswell
Aiseca

oshawott9044 wrote:

You just placed your reservation to hell. Congrats.
Topic Starter
TheLegendaryHD

Aiseca wrote:

oshawott9044 wrote:

You just placed your reservation to hell. Congrats.

hell ? did you mean that fairy tale story you heard when your mom read it for you when youre about to go to bed ?
abraker
you are that puppy
welcome to hell