What did you guys do to get over a "Skill Wall"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Disappear
I have been currently stuck at a "skill wall" for about a year at this point, and I want to see how you guys got over it, succumbed to it, or at least dealt with this.

For me, I slightly get over the wall, but I just keep falling back, and just like that over and over. Being like this for a year, I have seen tons of people that were 6 digits, come all the way to 4 digits, in fact, some go as far as getting a lot better than me.

I have been playing this game seriously (I don't know why, but I wanted to get good at something) and It bothers me when I try so hard to get better and see others get better willy nilly. This sounds pretty stupid but it's true.

So, how'd you guys overcome this "skill wall"? How long did it take? Did you do something different? and what were you thinking during that time?
kacper124
Well fist wdym by skill wall, do you mean your not improving in ANYTHING or just one specific aspect? Can you not play higher stars or you cant improve anything no matter what? I think that training one skill at a time will improve you at any skill level so what id suggest is just focusing on one thing and improving that (like if you can stream 220 try to learn 230 or increases your stamina or increase your acc or you ability to play tech maps etc.)

E: Also you can take a break for a week or two and come back, or just focus on a different aspect of osu!(like getting #1's or mapping) It could just be mindblock thats stopping you
Frikandel
I'd say people that get stuck at 7kpp like you and me are just tryharders without any talent. I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh.
Vuelo Eluko
You could always try just playing for hard passes for awhile before going for scores, I've found that some people play extra well after they've tried to play stuff above their skill level; you don't even have to actually pass said maps, some years back I linked Crai a certain map in spect and he failed miserably at the highest diff over the course of several tries not even passing once, he rage quit it and immediately went on to set his new highest top rank and in fact the highest pp play in the united kingdom first try on the map he chose immediately after. Possibly a coincidence but I think not because I've seen similar things happen countless times.

I believe playing a hell map creates a "super warmed up" effect, basically whatever you want to farm is simply going to feel easier after trying to read and keep up with such a massively more difficult map. Would not recommend this strategy to most intermediate/beginner players, as it does depend on having a strong fundamental skill set already and I could see it just leading to bad habits if you don't. I think you guys are exceptional enough for this to work, though. The more nigh unreadable and shitty the map the stronger the effect seems to be as your brain is trying that much harder to read what's on the screen even as you finally move on to the farmable map, so I would wholeheartedly recommend almost anything made by Aqo but I'm sure you both know of the kinds of maps I am talking about.

The bonus to this will be that eventually you will actually pass the hell map too and get a non-pp related shot of endorphins/proof of improvement.

As to whether this will get you over a 'skill wall', maybe or maybe not, it could get you over a mental block.

This is the only observation I can offer as a garbage player who has spent way too much time spectating pros and not nearly enough time playing the game 8-)
im flat
honestly i just always play hard shit and i never hit a wall
just look at my top plays for example lol
Topic Starter
Disappear

im flat wrote:

honestly i just always play hard shit and i never hit a wall
just look at my top plays for example lol
Yo tfw a 18k ranked player beats you to 400pp rip

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

You could always try just playing for hard passes for awhile before going for scores, I've found that some people play extra well after they've tried to play stuff above their skill level; you don't even have to actually pass said maps, some years back I linked Crai a certain map in spect and he failed miserably at the highest diff over the course of several tries not even passing once, he rage quit it and immediately went on to set his new highest top rank and in fact the highest pp play in the united kingdom first try on the map he chose immediately after. Possibly a coincidence but I think not because I've seen similar things happen countless times.

I believe playing a hell map creates a "super warmed up" effect, basically whatever you want to farm is simply going to feel easier after trying to read and keep up with such a massively more difficult map. Would not recommend this strategy to most intermediate/beginner players, as it does depend on having a strong fundamental skill set already and I could see it just leading to bad habits if you don't. I think you guys are exceptional enough for this to work, though. The more nigh unreadable and shitty the map the stronger the effect seems to be as your brain is trying that much harder to read what's on the screen even as you finally move on to the farmable map, so I would wholeheartedly recommend almost anything made by Aqo but I'm sure you both know of the kinds of maps I am talking about.

The bonus to this will be that eventually you will actually pass the hell map too and get a non-pp related shot of endorphins/proof of improvement.

As to whether this will get you over a 'skill wall', maybe or maybe not, it could get you over a mental block.

This is the only observation I can offer as a garbage player who has spent way too much time spectating pros and not nearly enough time playing the game 8-)
I do play a lot of hard maps, in fact that is what I usually play but all the time i still dont see the improvement when playing them. I usually go and play hard maps for a warm up and after an hour or so, try farming a map that I have been trying for the past few months. Still nothing :/ Thanks for the advice though.

Frikandel wrote:

I'd say people that get stuck at 7kpp like you and me are just tryharders without any talent. I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh.
that does sound about right lol

kacper124 wrote:

Well fist wdym by skill wall, do you mean your not improving in ANYTHING or just one specific aspect? Can you not play higher stars or you cant improve anything no matter what? I think that training one skill at a time will improve you at any skill level so what id suggest is just focusing on one thing and improving that (like if you can stream 220 try to learn 230 or increases your stamina or increase your acc or you ability to play tech maps etc.)

E: Also you can take a break for a week or two and come back, or just focus on a different aspect of osu!(like getting #1's or mapping) It could just be mindblock thats stopping you
Taking a break does seem to be the best option. And by skill wall, I mean like, no improvment, no pp, no scores, whatsoever. I'm like beating a dead bush. It just seems pointless trying to play something when the result is the same, or even worse. I get the occasional scores here and there, but it's really nothing impressive to say the least.
B1oody
Try to identify your weak points and improve them.
show more