forum

How to have no expectations and improve my mindset?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
I get frustrated very easily when I fail certain maps or don't get good enough accuracy. I know logically it doesn't make sense to expect these results but somewhere along the way I unconsciously pick up a bad mentality and tilt out of my mind. Even if I was previously enjoying the game, something simple like failing to improve my accuracy multiple times in a row on different songs or choking a play will just make me depressed.

I just want to prevent the thoughts that lead to this experience happening. Eventually what will happen is that I will stop playing because I'm tilted too often for it to be worth it, and then I come back and it's going well for a while, and then it becomes not worth it because i'm tilted. Rinse repeat.

As a result it's very hard for me to play this game for more than a couple weeks straight lately. The past several months have been on a week, off a month, on a week, off a week, etc. And this only makes it worse because I'm less consistent as a result, which makes it even harder to reach expectations.

I just want to be able to care about the game without having stupid expectations for myself that make me want to not play. Improving at the game is what drives me to play it so I can't just "play for fun" and still want to play the game. How do I rid myself of these expectations?

I've had people say just "accept that you will fail" or "stop having high expectations". My main question is, how? I feel like these things happen automatically in my brain. How do I stop myself from ruining my own fun?
Vuelo Eluko
for me the hardest part of playing is warming up, it deters me from even trying some days because i know ill be slogging for like 20-30 mins playing like total garbage and not having fun. If anyone has any tips to warm up faster let me know. Once i get my momentum it's hard for me to want to stop though.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

for me the hardest part of playing is warming up, it deters me from even trying some days because i know ill be slogging for like 20-30 mins playing like total garbage and not having fun. If anyone has any tips to warm up faster let me know. Once i get my momentum it's hard for me to want to stop though.

Stretch your hands and body and make sure you're warm enough (especially your hands).
im flat
I have severe depression irl so my mindset is always negative on literally everything
when ur playing don't think at all and give less fucks
honestly can't really help since mine is like the worst
oh and take a walk outside before playing
C15U
I play mainly for chilling out with music, so I don't have problems with that :)
As has been said over million times - just play more.
Play higher OD maps, so you won't have too much expectations about it, but you will have instant feedback at which point you fail.

Also make sure your universal offset is 0, and learn to hear music rhythm. Jumps are usually 1/2 beat, streams, doubles, triples etc. 1/4 beat. That's really everything you need to know about accuracy.
DeletedUser_6869432
I've just learned to laugh off my failures over time and I find it helps a lot. I like self deprecation humor a lot so that could be why but I find it's easier if you just think about it like "wow I'm fucking garbage of course I would shitmiss there". Also make sure that osu isn't the only game your playing because (in my expierence at least) playing one game exclusively makes you get tilted a lot easier. Also helps if when you don't meet your expectations you take it as "I need to improve" instead of "I'm getting worse" because wallowing in self pity over 89% acc Dosent make you any better.
C15U
There's no way to get worse at osu!, even if you would really want it. Sometimes you just gain some knowledge, that something you learned you've been doing wrong whole time and you start to notice it.