forum

[resolved] Osu fps drops and stuttering

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aseke
Problem Details:
So hi everyone, today I faced the problem I've never had before.
Usually when I launch the game, at the "Welcome to osu!" moment my fps counter shows around 220-240 fps(restricted to 240). When it doesn't match that number I would simply restart the game. But today I've faced the problem that even if I launch the game at 220-240 fps, the gameplay will be drastically affected.
So here's the thing: When I start playing my fps decreases from 220-240(my usual gameplay fps) to around 140-160, it raises the input lag to 10->(random number till infinity)ms. In addition to that I usually have that little squares near MS in green or yellow (about 4-6 squares) but now it's about maximum number of squares with red color(even when map didn't start and in song selection menu). So gameplay is completely ruined by just moving the mouse and fps dropping for about 80-100 frames.
I have restarted the laptop, tried to turn off superfetch, set the priority to real-time, different settings and versions of osu, disabling multithreading in NVIDIA cards, but nothing seems to help. Do you have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Specs:
i5-7300 HQ
8GB ram
Win10 latest(as for 05.02.2019)

osu! version: 20190205.2
Nigrod
Do you have any programs running in the background or have discord overlay on? Try setting your “Frame Limiter” to “Unlimited”. Also make sure you go through your “Details” under “Gameplay” and disable background video, storyboard, and shaders. If you have an anti virus try turning it off. Also if your disk space is almost full you should probably clean it up a little bit.
Topic Starter
Aseke

Nigrod wrote:

Do you have any programs running in the background or have discord overlay on? Try setting your “Frame Limiter” to “Unlimited”. Also make sure you go through your “Details” under “Gameplay” and disable background video, storyboard, and shaders. If you have an anti virus try turning it off.
I have nothing special in the background, I've tried to put it to Unlimited and it didn't work out. Bg video and other stuff is off as usual. Turning off an anti-virus made gaming a little bit better, as it become a bit smoother, but anyways the fps is around 140-150 and input lag is about 10-13 while it should be around 6-8.
EDIT: I have a decent amount of disk space. only 148gb out of 243 is full
Nigrod
Is there any programs that are heavy on your cpu? For example my friend can’t have steam open when playing osu. Is your power management or battery on management on performance? Make sure it’s not trying to save power.
Topic Starter
Aseke

Nigrod wrote:

Is there any programs that are heavy on your cpu? For example my friend can’t have steam open when playing osu. Is your power management or battery on management on performance? Make sure it’s not trying to save power.
No, I don't. With or without the steam I have the same performance issue.

I have updated to latest win10 update on Sunday. Since then I haven't played osu! I believe that might be a problem. I tried to restore previous build but it says it doesn't have any. I cannot restore to previous savepoints because I have some a lot of important info that cannot be either deleted, moved or modified.
EDIT: Power management is always at Max.performance(idk how it'll be proper in English since my system is running in Russian)
Anyways thanks for trying to help me!
Kurumya
You made the mistake when you upgraded to the last windows 10 version. Osu! isn't still fully compatible with every new build and as every time, you'll may have to wait ppy to fix it but you can't fully get back the perf you had before this update...
Topic Starter
Aseke

Kurumya wrote:

You made the mistake when you upgraded to the last windows 10 version. Osu! isn't still fully compatible with every new build and as every time, you'll may have to wait ppy to fix it but you can't fully get back the perf you had before this update...

I see. The saddest thing here, I can't return to the previous build :c. Thanks mate
Topic Starter
Aseke
So eventually I updated my Windows once more (seems with previous update there were problems in installation causing fps drops), didn't change osu from the highest priority in task manager, and frame limiter is unlimited. So, the issue is resolved please close the thread.
VeilFrost
this problem is happening to me now, it did not have this since i started osu but around 3weeks ago i started having this fps drop that only happens in osu when im playing. Please does anyone have fix
Death
Take a look at the things on this page: help/wiki/Performance_Troubleshooting

If you are still having issues, please create a new thread instead of bumping an old one.