2.50%
Photoshop
82.50%
Other
7.50%
Total votes: 40
Topic Starter
Dialect
I noticed that theres lots of GFX artists here on osu. I hope this isn't the wrong thread, but what program do you guys use. Do most of you guys use Blender, since it's the most logical answer? Do you use After Effects, since it has lots of effects for you to work from? I'm just curious. If you do tell me, then what effects/tools do you guys use? I would want to be a gfx artist, and maybe make a living off of it (on sinister.ly of course)
mulraf
I didn't think others would use after effects for pictures too :o idk i think this option is only good if you already have experience editing videos with it as me. Otherwise a software like photoshop is probably better suited

Edit: oh it's "would you use" not "do you use". Sorry, cant edit vote anymore
epic man 2
I usually use Photoshop for shitpost art (Much like I do on MS Paint) but yeah I could use Photoshop for GFX.... If only I were to learn how.
Cixia
Personally, I use Photoshop for most general editing, and After Effects for any complex animations or flashier effects.
KatouMegumi
@Celsea, Is the notice thing and color really necessary?
Anyway, just download Gimp and do stuff you want in there.
If you want to upgrade, get Photoshop. Though, Gimp should be enough for you.
Topic Starter
Dialect
well actually, while i was off of osu, i did learn some gfx, although i didn't have my computer, so i had to use my phone. i decided to use the premium version of alight motion, which is similar to after effects in some ways.
Cixia

KatouMegumi wrote:

@Celsea, Is the notice thing and color really necessary?
Anyway, just download Gimp and do stuff you want in there.
If you want to upgrade, get Photoshop. Though, Gimp should be enough for you.

It used to be much more prominent in this forum from gfx designers in the past years, but personally I don't think you should be worried about how others forum post, since everyone is given freedom of post. If it really bothers you, I had the notice and colour already copy pasted from my forum post editing, so why not make a post look nicer?

GIMP is capable of almost everything Photoshop is capable of, but this comes at the price of not as much tutorials online/harder to use UI (personal opinion). I've seen many designers here using GIMP and you couldn't tell the difference in quality from those that use Photoshop, it's all a matter of preference.
aicanteven
Hey MinNin probably going to jump on the same bandwagon as everyone else and say photoshop. I originally started in gimp way back in the day but when I switched to photoshop there was a huge quality difference just from the available tools and resources. I sadly don't have access to After Effects but if you do and want to take your GFX to the next level I would definitely recommended it! If you're in the same boat as me without After effects there's still a lot of resources on making cool animations in photoshop, it's a bit more work but will still adds more to your GFX.

Also on a side note, I think it's super cool to see everyone's setup and opinions! I don't go out of my personal forum thread a lot so it's super awesome to see everyone pitch in! ヾ(^∇^)
weebpotato
+1 for team Photoshop. - end bias

Basically, when we're generally working with images for web Photoshop is the way to go. It is the industry-standard software to handle raster-type image manipulation (not 3D like AutoCAD/Blender). After Effects is subjective, in most real life cases, motion/animation isn't required (e.g: billboards, signs). Since osu! gfx are presented on a web format, adding subtle animations to a banner or profile picture can enhance the viewing experience, so that's a bonus. On the side note, despite Photoshop being mainstream, other alternatives like paint.net or GIMP are also very capable, so feel free to experiment and see which suits you most. They have the same learning curve and transition between them shouldn't be an issue.

If you have any questions or would like to learn more, you can always ask me or these guys above, I'm sure we're happy to share some advice and experience for you.