forum

Learning Japanese? o.o

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yushi
Kay I wanna know how long itd take for me to learn Japanese if I just started learning o.o . Also I considering I Don't needa know Kanji Script. Tyvm :3
Rena-chan
Anything between 1 week and 10 years.
Verdisphena
just 1 day It's so easy nani kawaii desu ka
smoogipoo
I've also been wanting to learn Japanese in the same style as I did Korean (Online). I've looked around to no avail, but if anyone knows of any good resources, please tell :3
Vish024
It depends on you as an individual. If you have the ability and the commitment you might pick it up within a few years. If not, well as Rena said it could take decades.
Azure_Kite
If you don't know the Japanese Hiragana or Katakana, I'd suggest learning them before Kanji. Learning the phonetics is relatively easy, but it can take a while to get some of the right, particularly the r sound.

Just look up Japanese Hiragana or Katakana, and study from there.

Here's a little something I made a while back, but meh. Maybe it'll help. http://puu.sh/sviV
friendok53
here is lesson number one

repeat after me

watashi baka
Tenshi

friendok53 wrote:

repeat after me

watashi baka
You forgot the "no."
Jarby

xILikeRice wrote:

I Don't needa know Kanji Script.
Sander-Don

Azure_Kite wrote:

Here's a little something I made a while back, but meh. Maybe it'll help. http://puu.sh/sviV
I like this.
friendok53

Tenshi wrote:

friendok53 wrote:

repeat after me

watashi baka
You forgot the "no."
don't talk back to your sensei just do as sensei says , sensei has teaching methods that are qualified with a degree
mathexpert
I've been studying for over a year now, and for me, the language itself is relatively simple. Kanji's a bitch though, for each kanji you have to eventually memorize its meaning, anywhere from 2 to 5 different pronunciations, stroke order (optional, but I prefer to learn it), and it's associated jukugos (kinda like compound words, there are A LOT). And if you want to be able to read the newspaper, you have to know about 2000 (I suppose about 1250 for daily life though). This site is helpful for kanji, and this program is helpful for memorizing them. You said that you wont learn kanji, which is fine but you won't really be able to read any Japanese (except the rare cases w/ furigana). I suggest that if you want to learn a language you learn to speak, read, and write it though. Also, I think having a teacher (as apposed to self-study, autodidact style) is helpful because they can give you homework and speak to you in japanese. However, if you have the motivation learning by yourself is definitely possible (PS DON'T DO ROSETTA STONE, try Genki).

tldr: For me personally, it'll take a pretty damn long time, about 3-4 years if I keep the pace of learning right now. Don't know about you, but maybe if you've learned a language before you can guess how long it'll take for you. Trust me, it's very rewarding and fun though if you're interested in anime/Japanese culture~ :)
Shohei Ohtani
It'll definately be harder to learn then like, spanish or french, since Japanese isn't a latin based language like (I'm assuming) you currently are a native speaker in. Stuff like sentence structure and the sound of letters would be completely different and stuff~.

From my friend who speaks it, she says that it's easier to speak then to write -3-.

Right now, my only knowledge of learning japanese would either to take a class or buy Rosetta Stone (which is pretty expensive, but from what I hear, it works).
-Athena-

Tenshi wrote:

friendok53 wrote:

repeat after me

watashi baka
You forgot the "no."
Actually it doesn't need "no",according to my knowledge of Chinese, which in some cases is similar to Japanese (especially the Kanji)
"no" is の, or 的 in Chinese.
So if you say watashi no baka it actually means my baka (my idiot), referring to someone else.
The more appropriate sentence would be watashi wa baka desu!~ (/me runs)

And no i'm not an expert sorry, I may be wrong. Learning Japanese would go much smoother if you have been exposed to other Asian languages before, sort of like how European languages have similarities.
kaji_

-A t H e N a- wrote:

Learning Japanese would go much smoother if you have been exposed to other Asian languages before, sort of like how European languages have similarities.
I can vouch for this - I'm Korean and I'd say my knowledge of the language helped me a whole lot with learning Japanese (I've been studying Japanese for a little over 3 years, btw)

Though like everyone said, it really -is- all about commitment :P
-Athena-
I believe this belongs in GD, just saying.

And yea you need commitment to learn any language, even the Finnish "sticks and stones" \:D/.
Cyclohexane
I reckon you should learn English before Japanese.
420Guy

Azure_Kite wrote:

This is pretty nice!
Topic Starter
Yushi
Thx for the info guys :)
Pokebis
Do this until you know the kana and then just play Pokemon games in Japanese. They don't use kanji so you should be good.
After you're a Pokemon master; learn the kanji or something.

But Mr Color is right, English is a far more useful language. Learn English before you learn Japanese.
friendok53

Pokebis wrote:

Do this until you know the kana and then just play Pokemon games in Japanese. They don't use kanji so you should be good.
After you're a Pokemon master; learn the kanji or something.

But Mr Color is right, English is a far more useful language. Learn English before you learn Japanese.
i'd recommend you to learn english too Pokebis
Kanye West
kawaii desuuuu~
NoHitter
Actually, I know someone IRL who basically self-taught himself by watching anime, reading visual novels, and using a dictionary.
He started around three years ago and is fluent with it now.

I myself am only interested in the conversational stuff and not that committed, so I'm just watching anime and listening to them talk while reading the subtitles.
I can understand some parts now.
show more