forum

Is uploading a beatmap with a song that's already mapped a bad idea?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Symbal1
Hi, I've made a couple beatmaps now. (They're all bad lol, I've learned a lot about mapping since my last upload and I feel like I've gotten a lot better in my opinion.)

Yesterday, I found this song called "Dimension" by Creo. It's a good song for the most part, I wanted to make a beatmap with it. Sadly, I searched the song on beatmap listing and found maybe around 4-5 (maybe 6) people who have already uploaded a beatmap with the song. I was pretty disappointed by the matter, but I still really wanted to map it either way.

Just like what the title says, is it a bad idea to map a song that's already been mapped? Does it effect the chance of it getting noticed? Does it effect the chance of it getting qualified, approved and/or ranked?

Thanks for reading, any reply would be appreciated :)
Rivals_7
personally i wouldnt bother mapping a same song if its already mapped, especially when they are already mapped decently.

but its not a bada idea per se. your chance is the same as ever. even better if you actively pushing it for rank than the other maps.
VidmErz
I'm with Rivals on this one. If it's a song you'd like to push to a ranked status, I wouldn't bother working on it unless it's some kind of passion project (favorite song) of yours.
NoirGreyson
I think it's wrong to discourage mapping a song just because someone else has already ranked it. Your map might not get as much attention but I don't see why it wouldn't be ranked if it's good. You have to wait a week if the song has been recently qualified, but otherwise I'm not aware of anything that would get in the way of ranking it.
Of course, this is assuming you have something interesting to bring to the map.