forum

Looking for any tips to start mapping.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
amesame
I've been playing this game long enough in a short amount of time allowing me to say I'm developing an addiction and I want to take it even further, I want to start mapping and already have a small pool of songs I would like to see mapped within a musical register that suits the game.
that one K/DA vs Megalomania
Snail's House Pixel Galaxy
Ленинград ft ГлюкoZa ft ST Жу Жу Leningrad ft GlukoZа ft ST Ju Ju

There is although one issue, I have 0 experience in mapping but I want to produce quality work so any advice or tips and tricks will be highly appreciated and I will make sure to thank you enough in ways such as mentioning you in the planned credits.

Thank you in advance,

Khimi ☃
dennischan
I can't help you myself since I'm also a new mapper, but you could join this mentorship program where super experienced and famoose mappers will teach you how to map. (monstrata, nathan, and hailie if you like weird stuff)

mentorship program
Jelljel
Imo best thing to learn mapping is just to do it. Even though your first maps might suck (most of the time they do). Getting experience by just trying certainly helps. Also something that will help you a lot probably is to watch most if not all of pishifat's video's. They contain really usefull information from someone deep in the mapping scene. Anyway hope this helps.
Shiomi-
Nobody can produce quality maps from the start, the only way to get good is mapping, then deleting and remapping for better music following, and so with many songs.

But there are videos that could help with that, such as the pishifat and (in some extent) Charles445, which has very useful info and even 1 or 2 videos of direct mapping.That 4 example.
Dialect
Map your favourite songs. Then get mods on that map. Don't try ranking a map; Try making a map for graveyard. Through trial and error, you'll find a comfortable mapping style for you to work with.
Libera
i cant get good at mapping ever... :p
Chiru-kun
take this with a grain of salt. from a person who's been here for 2 years and hasn't gotten a ranked map yet... here:

wait, before that, breathe in for oxygen daily.

1) welcome to the deeper part of hell.

2) map your favorite song given it's not too hardcore of a song. this will give you motivation (trust me, if you don't like the song when you haven't gotten a drive for mapping yet, you're NOT gonna push through even probably 2 sections of the song.)

3) you've been playing, right? given you've played a wide variety of maps and have had different exposure, choose your favorite maps. rank them from one to five or something, even. then think why you chose them as your favorite (for whatever reason, maybe its fun to play, it looks really good, or its really unique). | whatever reason that may be, use the ideas from your favorite maps to incorporate them into your own maps. the more you like a concept, the more you'll think of it and maybe you end up with good ideas from thinking in relation to those favorite patterns.) | if you want to take it a step up, check who mapped your favorite songs and find more maps from the same person/people.

4) when you map something, determine how much you'll be mapping. "will i be doing just this section for practice? do i want to try and rank this?" then do as much of it as you can as fast as you can; as time goes on you might get blanded out in having the same routine and "might want to map something else." | note that its okay not to finish a map, or even just try a section or some gimmick, pattern or idea. if just starting, that's advantageous imo

5) don't rank immediately. until you can come up with at least one solid difficulty of any kind in which people approve of after a few mods and can do so in a practical amount of time, don't rank yet. ask yourself after a while, "do i want to rank this as it is? as my mapping skill is now?"

6) i see so many people pointing to pishifat's videos. yes sure take a look at them also but remember this: those videos are ideas from a person who started in the mapping meta of 2015. the older ones (of about 2 or so years ago) are very conservative, so you should adjust to mods today. i'd personally say i think it's more like a journal. you need to think about context, "is this subjective? objective? from what viewpoint is this? how strict should i take this advice?" i also really encourage you to listen through the interviews, since they are more updated and also more insightful not only in the technicals in mapping but also being a mapper long term. check out in youtube: "osu! map cast pishifat" he himself tells there that some older vids are outdated to today's mapping.

what this guy at the bottom said. solid stuff. get more lenient once you know how to map, as you would do with learning any skill.
Kaniken
they've already said it... so for me, go to editor then check out your favorite mapper's map then try to learn something from it and incorporate while making your own style of mapping(which takes a long time). you may experience motivation issue but if you love mapping then it wont be a problem. this is just my own opinion but try to take note of player wrist rotation (what they call 'flow'), smoothness of the map (which you'll know by testplaying your own map), neatness of the map (although it depends on your style, making a neat map is a thing you should remember).

Basic Rules for Beginners:

*Do not make complex sliders. Try making simple ones first-- curves, anchored sliders, straight, simple waves or hooks.
*Contrast. Make each specific sections distinguishable by using Slider Velocity changes. If the certain section is calm, go for slower SV, if the section is intense-- go for the opposite.
*Follow notes. Do not overmap. It is highly recommended you only use 1/4 of the Beat Snap Divisor.
*Do not forget to make use of the volume of every samplesets.
*Do not encourage yourself to make hard maps. Focus on making "fun" maps.
*Keep mapping. Keep losing motivation. But lastly, have fun.

P.S: Do not forget setting Preview Point.