forum

Attachments [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Maraiga
I have the same problem as you cxu ):
peppy
I removed attachment support. Please tell me why you need it and I will consider adding it back.
Sakura

peppy wrote:

I removed attachment support. Please tell me why you need it and I will consider adding it back.
Upload guest diffs (.osu) to beatmap threads of course, at the very least beatmap threads should have attachments.
peppy
Can you not use puush or a similar upload service? I'm trying to rid osu! of phpbb's ugly attachment system.
Sakura

peppy wrote:

Can you not use puush or a similar upload service? I'm trying to rid osu! of phpbb's ugly attachment system.
I Wouldn't mind, but the attachments look better imo, at least it shows the attachments at the bottom of the post rather than in an url code format (or hyperlink), they look better like that, plus idk but maybe some browsers will have issues downloading .osu files as it may open in browser and read the text on it rather than download it, which is solved by just right click > save file as which isn't an option when using a puush file. Also sometimes when downloading files browsers may replace spaces with %something and brackets as well making them harder to rename to include in the mapset.

Just throwing some issues i've encountered when downloading .osu files individually before, which dont happen when using attachments but idk why.
peppy
That sentence was so long it was a hazard to my health reading it.
If the file displays in your browser, a File > Save As... will also work after it has been displayed.
Jarby

peppy wrote:

Convenience? Going to a file sharing site and uploading it separately generally takes longer in comparison.
peppy
puush is one key combination away.
http://puush.me
boat

Jarby wrote:

peppy wrote:

Convenience? Going to a file sharing site and uploading it separately generally takes longer in comparison.
By how much? Half a minute, at most? Good grief, unbearable!
Jarby
puush has never been reliable for me. I've ceased usage of it. Anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to make the attachment system more aesthetically pleasing rather than just removing it?
GiNa
Just want to say my opinion here,
Probably not everyone knows puush ...

EDIT:
To boat:
Because last time (few months ago) I really met a person that didn't what puush is, that's why I said my opinion
boat

GiNa wrote:

Just want to say my opinion here,
Probably not everyone knows puush ...
Not really continuing to argue for or against, but this is stupid to say, as everyone at the very least should have heard of this thing called google.
Aoko
Attachments are really important though, in a forum itself.
Zelmarked
Convenience. It was right there under the chat box, same page, and just a few clicks.
I guess at least put an uppy link on the post page that takes you to your account's upload prompt in a new tab.
peppy
I don't agree that attachments are important on the osu! forum, which is why I decided to remove them. I may put something in place for sharing .osu files for those who aren't willing to use puush, but apart from this I don't feel the need to host your content.
Zelmarked
I just need something to display images so I better better illustrate people's technical problems and solutions for them and I don't want to compromise anything I use.

I thought you owned puush. I tried to enter my info there but apparently it's a completely different site
peppy
puush is not related with osu!. you will need a second account.
Fumika

Aoko wrote:

Attachments are really important though, in a forum itself.
I needed it back ;w;
Miya
Agree with Sakura said, at least make the beatmap forum has attachment itself.

It's really help mapper for uploading guest diff. Often if we upload to puush or other host services, there will be additional character like : % or + that very anoying because i have to rename that guest diff in first part.
Topic Starter
CXu
Well, I just find it inconvienient to have to use another service for uploading guest difficulties. They often require either an account and/or have a waiting time for downloading. They also tend to be filled with annoying advertisements.

It's also tedious to have to open another webpage every time you update your guest diff after a mod (and it's not like everyone uses puush/has the ability to download anything on the computer they're using).

Or make it possible to change the creator field for guest diffs, and add the possibility for guest mappers to update their difficulties themselves through the BSS.
Zelmarked

Miya wrote:

at least make the beatmap forum has attachment itself.
^And tech supp. If the issue is bandwidth, that is. Little is used around here and all for the purpose of knowledge.

Idk what you mean by "ugly" but if you are speaking literally, performance > aesthetics, imo.
Nyquill
The filename is included when attaching, so you can know the filetype for attachments. I want to see more board integration for puush, and I would have no issues with this.

I can see what you're hoping to achieve with this. Certainly will free up more storage space and makes it so old files are deleted over time by the uploaders.

Perhaps a [puush] tag with some sort of template that goes with it that displays a thumbnail filesize and type will be sufficient.
Frostmourne

peppy wrote:

It's trouble for the mapper who doesn't use puush.

Nyquill wrote:

Perhaps a [puush] tag with some sort of template that goes with it that displays a thumbnail filesize and type will be sufficient.
If this is implemented, this will surely much better than the attachments feature since it also displays thumbnail filesize and the filetype.

OAO it's my 444th post! although i'm too lazy to make another achievement lol
Fight69
Btw, what happened to the old attached files ?
Zelmarked

Fight69 wrote:

Btw, what happened to the old attached files ?
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/ucp.php?i=attachments&mode=attachments
Corin

peppy wrote:

puush is down quite a lot unlike the osu! website, it would be more convinient to know that if the site is down, atachments are gonna be down too unlike puush which is usually down and nobody even knows. :\
awp
secretly integrate puush as the forums' new attachment service
peppy
puush holds an uptime of 99.96% or higher. It was at 100% last month. I challenge you to state when it has been down, apart from DDoS attacks in the distant past.
Corin

peppy wrote:

puush holds an uptime of 99.96% or higher. It was at 100% last month. I challenge you to state when it has been down, apart from DDoS attacks in the distant past.
It was down about an hour or so ago.
peppy
No it wasn't. Get your net checked.
Corin

peppy wrote:

No it wasn't. Get your net checked.
ztrot sent me a puush link to his map, it redirected me to http://puush.me and I couldn't access my puushes either.

ztrot can confirm that it didn't work then :|
peppy
That is not down. That means he deleted the file or made it private. Or he sent you a bad link.

This is also way off-topic. You can use any upload service you like if you don't trust the one run by me. I'm marking this thread as invalid as I currently do not have any intentions of restoring the functionality.
Miya

peppy wrote:

I currently do not have any intentions of restoring the functionality.
Omg, too bad :(
I have to rewrite the file name if any guest diff coming up to me. That's quite anoying..
peppy
If you are collaborating with someone on a map, there are also other options, like dropbox, MSN, skype etc.
I don't see the huge reason to use the forum for guest difficulties; they should be submitted privately to the map creator and updated by them.
Nyquill

peppy wrote:

If you are collaborating with someone on a map, there are also other options, like dropbox, MSN, skype etc.
I don't see the huge reason to use the forum for guest difficulties; they should be submitted privately to the map creator and updated by them.
Sorry to bump this, but time zone differences? Also, some programs and hosting services are region locked to certain areas (china for instance). It just so happens that where I am and China has an exact 12 hour time zone difference. Catching each other online is going to be an especially time consuming chore.

The forum is practically the ONLY place to put guest diffuculties if you have trouble catching the person you're collaborating with online.
akrolsmir
^ PM them? Or post the contents of the diff wrapped in [spoilerbox][code]?

It's really more of a symptom of the larger problem of needing a better guest diff system.
L i t c h i
Oh, I see.
Is the attachment service invalid?
That's a bummer.