forum

osu! Runs Terribly on Windows 10 [Solutions]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MST_Spica
I used to play this game on Windows 7 on my old laptop that has an i3-3337U with GeForce 710M 2GB and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM. Initially I was able to even achieve more than 100 fps with no input latency (not that I was aware of, which means it was insignificant).

After a while, I get back to this game in my new laptop that has an i7-7700HQ with GTX1060 6GB and 16 GB DDR4 RAM. I was expecting of even more input lag less and better latency like never before. Guess what, I was betrayed. I got around 5 to 8 ms with those tiny red boxes depending on the difficulty and beatmap. Long short story, I kept trying to find out the solution and here are some of possible working solutions:

1. Try right clicking on the game shortcut and click properties. There you might want to do the 'Run this program with compatibility to Windows 7 or Windows 8' (your choice). If you try to do the old fashion SHIFT while opening the game, you may just be one of the few who will experience even more problem by ticking that 'Compatibility mode' setting. It doesn't work for me, even until now. Do not do that.

2. Do not use any overlay app. This apparently contributed so much to the input latency and those tiny boxes that will go red when there are too many of them. MSI Afterburner that you use to OverClock or UnderVolt your GPU should not be used while playing this game. Turn off Game DVR through the Windows Setting.

3. Follow some other guidelines in YouTube that has something to do with your Geforce Panel. Right click on the desktop and choose NVIDIA Control Panel. There, go to the 'Manage 3D Settings' and 'Program Settings'. Scroll through to find osu! or if you do not find any, simply click 'Add' next to it and pick osu!. Look at the option below it and find 'Maximum pre-rendered frames' and set it to 1. Turn off 'Shader Cache' and 'Vertical Sync'. At 'Power Management Mode', use the 'Prefer Maximum Performance' option.

4. In the game settings, you may want to not restrict the frame rate. Do 'Unlimited Frame Rate (gameplay)'. More fps simply means lower input latency.
B1rd
Uninstalling Windows 10 works.
Vuelo Eluko

B1rd wrote:

thats not really a solution lol, but yea upgrading to windows 7 is the best idea either way.
abraker
This should be fixed in Windows 11
Topic Starter
MST_Spica

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

B1rd wrote:

thats not really a solution lol, but yea upgrading to windows 7 is the best idea either way.

That'd be considered downgrading I believe. Though I am not really sure since this laptop came with built in Windows 10.
Vuelo Eluko

MST_Spica wrote:

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

B1rd wrote:

That'd be considered downgrading I believe. Though I am not really sure since this laptop came with built in Windows 10.
it's an upgrade, win 10 is never but not better
Sosteneshion
I would like to share what happened to me with you guys, so you guys can give me your opinions.

I used to play on win 7, I had a cheap graphics card ,but it was able to run everything (cs, kf2 , ds2 , osu!), iirc I had 120 fps while playing it,which is already good. But I had 20 ms.
I moved to win 8 and I had no problem on the process, tbh I didn't even noticed to difference.

I got a new pc, and this one has win 10, I am using an gtx 1050 rn, and It is much better than my old one, I am able to play everything on it.
When it comes to osu! I have changed my the settings, and my osu! can push 200+ fps, 2-3 ms.

What I am trying to say is that, I got a better pc and my performance on osu! now is better. Which means that win 10 wasn't/isn't that bad, but better.( ofc the components also helped, but win 10 didn't see to influence at all)

What I wanna ask is does it depends like to some people, it is going to be bad and for others better?
And if I had win 7 on my new pc would I be able to have a even better performance?
Vuelo Eluko
my experience when comparing a not old installation of windows 7 pro properly pruned and configured is that performance is equal or better than people with windows 10 both in games and in benchmarks when it comes to those with same gpu or cpu and ram setup as me (tested on geekbench). I feel like most people claiming windows 10 is faster are going from a poorly configured or old windows 7 installation of course windows 10 will be faster, so would a fresh install of 7 though.

also win 7 ultimate is trash for performance, pro is the sweet spot