forum

couple of questions for small area players

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
like 4.5cm and below horizontal play area ppls; how do you rest your hand? do you rest the whole hand or let it pivot some at the wrist still? Pinky up or resting for extra stability? Also how hard do you grip the pen? Thanks

also do you think forcing small circle maps to sort of bootcamp finger control at this area as someone who mostly used a large area would be good? Already got a plethora of cs5.5-6 edits to that end.

I have a hard time figuring out how much of my shaking is due to poor finger control and how much is due to poor stability. My arm hangs off the desk but I don't think this affects anything since the weight of the arm is truncated to my hand making it even more stable.

also wonder how high up you hold the pen kinda but I have no intention of changing my grip since I don't think it actually matters all that much.
Jefu
I have used an extremely tiny area since I switched to tablet. These are a few subjective thoughts of mine that have helped me during play:

1. Holding the pen higher has had 0 benefits for me. It seems as though I become less accurate, while still maintaining the same area of reach.

2. Gripping the pen too tight in my experience will lead to a choke. Personally, It feels as though my hands stiffen up which doesn't allow me to make full snaps.

3. Currently the tablet I use is pretty wide and long so I tend to rest my hand on the tablet itself. The position my hand takes during play is sort of like a fist where my pen is very slightly tilted. This positioning I find is the least stressful on my wrist and hand and it allows me to obtain a sturdy grip onto my pen.

4. When I was trying to learn about snapping I did find that playing HR and CS5 (CS6 is wack) maps were extremely beneficial to my snapping aim and finger control.

Anyway, that was just my two cents. Hope I gave you an insight to my experience and that it helps you in some way.

EDIT: Also I hover
Aliexpress Hein
Hey I play a small area, 41mm x 22.5mm . I rest my hand on the tablet (left top corner = my area). I usually only pivot my wrist, I grip the pen not all that hard. Enough to hold onto it. And hold it like a regular writing pen. I just hold it like a regular pen so thats also the height
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko

Jefu wrote:

I have used an extremely tiny area since I switched to tablet. These are a few subjective thoughts of mine that have helped me during play:

1. Holding the pen higher has had 0 benefits for me. It seems as though I become less accurate, while still maintaining the same area of reach.

2. Gripping the pen too tight in my experience will lead to a choke. Personally, It feels as though my hands stiffen up which doesn't allow me to make full snaps.

3. Currently the tablet I use is pretty wide and long so I tend to rest my hand on the tablet itself. The position my hand takes during play is sort of like a fist where my pen is very slightly tilted. This positioning I find is the least stressful on my wrist and hand and it allows me to obtain a sturdy grip onto my pen.

4. When I was trying to learn about snapping I did find that playing HR and CS5 (CS6 is wack) maps were extremely beneficial to my snapping aim and finger control.

Anyway, that was just my two cents. Hope I gave you an insight to my experience and that it helps you in some way.

EDIT: Also I hover
yeah this confirms some of what i thought, i hold the pen very high up the tip of my index finger is touching the top of the button (wacom bamboo pen) but this is something i have been doing for years and it's comfortable so I don't think I'll change it. It sounds like your area must be even smaller than mine. This is what I'm currently dealing with, roughly 4.5-4.8cm of horizontal movement to go from edge to edge on the playfield.

rest my hand under the tablet on my palm, seems decent so far. My precision is increasing fast but I still mess up on close tech patterns and shitmiss a lot though sometimes i randomly completely land ridiculous jump sections I couldn't even reach before with large area, so that's encouraging.

Also nice avatar and name Jeff, I love Baki.