forum

4* Maps Are... (Discussion)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
vSanguine
So what's up guys? This is just another thread where I whine about how I cant git gud anymore and please help me y'all pros!!!!

Actually no, Just kidding, I know I should just keep playing.

The reason I posted this is because me and a lot of people I know believe that transitioning from 3* to 4* maps is the hardest since you get introduced to streams, long jumps and etna sliders and all that shit. I mean I know it's been hella difficult for me. And judging by the sudden spike in the difficulty curve, I bet a lot of you if not all at some point messed around with your mouse sensitivity (I play Mouse + Keyboard btw) or finally got that XP Pen tab cuz you got wiggy-diggled by the sudden learning curve spike. What I would like to know (from players more experienced than me cuz I'm a rank 260k noob rn) is the following :-

1) I use a 1000 DPI mouse at 1x sens which I know is kinda low but I kept it that way for more accuracy. However that configuration kinda hecks me up a lot during fast consecutive jumps cuz I fall short of the circle. Is my strategy backfiring and if so, whaddya recommend (btw Ik I'd git gud If I play more on that sens but I wanna git gud efficiently. Also nope I can't get a tablet RiP)

2) I started playing 4* maps about 2 weeks ago and am able to pass a lot of maps (if not most) up till 4.5* and even some easy pattern 4.8* maps with Bs and As (I'm working on my accuracy yeah). What I'd like is for you is to tell me where were you at my level? (260k rank, around 65 hours playtime, around 2.5k playcount) I mean ik each individual is different but idk man I'm just feeling kinda insecure due to all this ambiguity and knowing would feel good. Plus it's a good discussion topic. Learning about other people's experiences and all.

3) I'm a very calm player usually but some 4* maps just make me wanna bang my head against a wall. So hmu with the most relaxing music maps to cool my head off.

Onegaishimasu~~ S-senpai!!~ >////< (Yes sir I shall commit seppuku right now)
DeletedUser_6869432
Well it’s good that you know that playing more will help you improve at least.

Your dpi and sens seems fine to me, just make sure you have mouse acceleration turned off in osu! Because that might be the issue.

Also when I was at your rank it took me like 2 months in order to get through 4 stars in 5 stars with decent acc.

also don’t fall for the rank=skill meme
Vuelo Eluko
i feel like going from 5 to 6 is harder than going from 3 to 4 but going from 3 to 4 was harder than going from 4 to 5 for sure.

as for skill vs rank well it is super variable indeed, general rule of thumb i loosely use is the person who has a lower accuracy than someone else with the exact same amount of pp is more 'skilled', which is to say, their reading, aim, speed, ability to pass and full combo more difficult maps, should in general exceed someone with higher acc because more of that person's pp is from his accuracy and so his FC's are going to be on easier to FC maps, just maps that the other person won't be able to beat him on in terms of accuracy but will probably be able to FC just as easily if not moreso.

To rephrase, take a 99.50% acc person who has on avg 99%-100% on ~5.5 star maps as his top 10 plays, now take 95% acc person with exact same pp. You can easily see what I mean. Mr. 95% is fcing much harder stuff. Now, sure he probably can't do the SS's the high acc person can do, but guess who is likely going to get demolished if you throw them into a no holds barred multiplayer match? If low acc picks stuff at the edge of even his ability to pass, high acc guy prob wont even be able to read it, and if they play closer to his fc diff he will just outcombo high acc guy every single time. The only way to give high acc guy an advantage is to dumb down difficulty a lot and EVEN THEN low acc guy might be able to dab on him by using mods to make up the acc diff. Probably smacks high acc guy in tech maps too just because he's used to reading harder stuff.

Somewhat related I saw someone with almost exactly the same pp as you in mp beat me in freedom dive [Another] earlier today, and in fact be alive at the end. Not sure if he was doing some kinda gimmicky streaming but yeah. The guy has 87% profile acc so my theory holds up. I probably shouldn't have used hidden because I can't read those streams with it but I still lost fair and square as I see it.

All in all, this is just a general rule of thumb, there are always exceptions. Obviously a guy who got to 5k pp playing crazy underrated hanzer and awkward 2011 and earlier maps with 99% acc with fc's is better than some rando who 95% tv size triangle maps and choco cookie dt fc B rank. The star system is imperfect. OD is imperfect, too so someone with high profile acc could be better than he appears because they play crap like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/39368 which is worth very little pp due to low OD even though it is quite hard to SS imo
KupcaH

vSpecky wrote:

1) I use a 1000 DPI mouse at 1x sens which I know is kinda low
That's not low at all. It's average, I would say even a bit higher than average. I personally play with 500 DPI and 1.2x sens. (Changed from 1x only recently)
Vuelo Eluko
personally I would say 1200 is the upper limit of "average" and above that you are starting to get high.
Topic Starter
vSanguine

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

i feel like going from 5 to 6 is harder than going from 3 to 4 but going from 3 to 4 was harder than going from 4 to 5 for sure.

as for skill vs rank well it is super variable indeed, general rule of thumb i loosely use is the person who has a lower accuracy than someone else with the exact same amount of pp is more 'skilled', which is to say, their reading, aim, speed, ability to pass and full combo more difficult maps, should in general exceed someone with higher acc because more of that person's pp is from his accuracy and so his FC's are going to be on easier to FC maps, just maps that the other person won't be able to beat him on in terms of accuracy but will probably be able to FC just as easily if not moreso.

To rephrase, take a 99.50% acc person who has on avg 99%-100% on ~5.5 star maps as his top 10 plays, now take 95% acc person with exact same pp. You can easily see what I mean. Mr. 95% is fcing much harder stuff. Now, sure he probably can't do the SS's the high acc person can do, but guess who is likely going to get demolished if you throw them into a no holds barred multiplayer match? If low acc picks stuff at the edge of even his ability to pass, high acc guy prob wont even be able to read it, and if they play closer to his fc diff he will just outcombo high acc guy every single time. The only way to give high acc guy an advantage is to dumb down difficulty a lot and EVEN THEN low acc guy might be able to dab on him by using mods to make up the acc diff. Probably smacks high acc guy in tech maps too just because he's used to reading harder stuff.

Somewhat related I saw someone with almost exactly the same pp as you in mp beat me in freedom dive [Another] earlier today, and in fact be alive at the end. Not sure if he was doing some kinda gimmicky streaming but yeah. The guy has 87% profile acc so my theory holds up. I probably shouldn't have used hidden because I can't read those streams with it but I still lost fair and square as I see it.

All in all, this is just a general rule of thumb, there are always exceptions. Obviously a guy who got to 5k pp playing crazy underrated hanzer and awkward 2011 and earlier maps with 99% acc with fc's is better than some rando who 95% tv size triangle maps and choco cookie dt fc B rank. The star system is imperfect. OD is imperfect, too so someone with high profile acc could be better than he appears because they play crap like this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/39368 which is worth very little pp due to low OD even though it is quite hard to SS imo

Indeed. That's exactly how I feel too. You have to sacrifice your accuracy if you wanna improve faster (Which is what's happening with me rn xD). I deduce you're trying to tell me to play outside my comfort zone most of the time, which is what I'm doing at the moment. Still thank you for the valuable and informative input!

KupcaH wrote:

That's not low at all. It's average, I would say even a bit higher than average. I personally play with 500 DPI and 1.2x sens. (Changed from 1x only recently)

oof RiP hands lmao.
Vuelo Eluko
It's still good to have finger control but outside of that, I find Acc to be highly pointless to work on except for pp. This is not a rhythm game, it's a circle clicking game. Still, the hit windows are so large compared to 'real' rhythm games that at some point you should develop good acc just by accident just by having said finger control. Or you might be like Jesse and simply have no sense of rhythm, in which case there's no real solution.
Sosteneshion

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

i feel like going from 5 to 6 is harder than going from 3 to 4
I feel the same! Eluko

If you feel like its too hard to go from 3 to 4, just play 3 maps with mods to get used to the speed, at least it was what I did. (same going from 4 to 5, and now 5 to 6)

Some people wouldn't agree with me , but I feel like telling ya what I did.