forum

Mouse players: Type of surface you use for playing osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
krndude
Just curious what type of surface/color of surface all the mouse players out there use. I'm assuming that almost every mouse player would use an optical mouse rather than a ball mouse in this day and age and I hear that the surface/color of the surface you use for optical mice can affect how well it responds. I read some forums elsewhere trying to determine which color/surface is the best but there isn't really a general consensus on which are "the best". Some say white is the best, some say red, some say black -_-' I haven't tried many though.
Well for me is:
Surface: Binder paper used in a standard 70page notebook (I open the notebook to a random blank page and use that as the surface)
Surface color: White
Gon
have you considered a mousepad?
those
I'm using a cloth/rubber game mat.
Topic Starter
krndude
I've tried mousepads before, I have two of them but they are in pretty bad shape so I decide not to use them. I was more curious as to what others use :P although I appreciate the suggestions. I'll try them out.
Vish024
My desk. I never use a mousepad because I'm the sort of gamer that requires a lot of space. Always play on low sensitivity, constantly moving the mouse everywhere. Sometimes I even hit the speakers or clock on the edge of my desk. Mousepads limit the space, I can't adjust to 'em.
silklash
I use a regular mousepad (customized by artscow)
color doesn't seem to matter for my mouse at least; since I use pictures, it's a blend of colors
saymun

LaVolpe024 wrote:

My desk. I never use a mousepad because I'm the sort of gamer that requires a lot of space. Always play on low sensitivity, constantly moving the mouse everywhere. Sometimes I even hit the speakers or clock on the edge of my desk. Mousepads limit the space, I can't adjust to 'em.
My speakers are behind my screen, so when you said you hit your speakers i laughed a bit. I'm quite interested in just how much do you move your mouse around. Well anyway, I used to use my desk as a mousepad as well, then i starved myself for a day and bought myself one of those razer mousepads, and never regretting it since
Frizz
SteelSeries QcK+, so it's a smooth, gaming grade cloth surface and the color is plain black with white SteelSeries logo on bottom left of the mouse pad.
blissfulyoshi
For myself, I use to play without a mouse pad. My table was decent and smooth. I just had to clean it every so often in casse of dust build ups or the surface becomes uneven.

Recently I started playing on a cheaper table that screws up my mouse sensors, so I was forced to get a mousepad. Playing on a mousepad was pretty much the same as playing on the smooth table except I don't have to worry about weird bumps and stuff like that.

In the end, playing on a mousepad isn't needed imo if you have a simple smooth table, but if you need one, I recommend you get a mousepad of a relatively large size (one that doesn't restrict your movement) that lasts for a while (if the mousepad starts having the cloth roll upward in a month, you have problems)
Layne_old_1
~
Topic Starter
krndude
Thx for all the replies.

My laptop sits on a small wooden glossy table and the response from optical mice isn't so great...after testing it a few times I noticed that even notebook binder paper yielded a better response.

I googled the SteelSeries QcK+ mousepad and it looks pretty sweet. Sounds like a good deal for 15 bucks, and it has some good reviews from Amazon. I'll consider purchasing it maybe sometime in the near future.
kriers

Frizz925 wrote:

SteelSeries QcK+, so it's a smooth, gaming grade cloth surface and the color is plain black with white SteelSeries logo on bottom left of the mouse pad.
Cloth pads. I approve ;)
theowest
I have a huge EDGE tactical gaming mousepad for my tablet.
silmarilen
white wood
i purposely took a mouse that doesnt require a mousemat because i found them annoying when playing osu.
D33d
I was using a steelseries qck mini, but it didn't grip my desk very well at all and its surface was becoming more than a little bit annoying. I just bought a steelseries 4HD and I'm loving it:

I strongly advise that mouse players buy a decent pad, because having something which lets the mouse glide smoothly and track as smoothly as possible is a massive benefit.
Frizz

silmarilen wrote:

white wood
i purposely took a mouse that doesnt require a mousemat because i found them annoying when playing osu.
Any kind of mice doesn't require mousemat to use :V

krndude wrote:

Thx for all the replies.

My laptop sits on a small wooden glossy table and the response from optical mice isn't so great...after testing it a few times I noticed that even notebook binder paper yielded a better response.

I googled the SteelSeries QcK+ mousepad and it looks pretty sweet. Sounds like a good deal for 15 bucks, and it has some good reviews from Amazon. I'll consider purchasing it maybe sometime in the near future.
Nice choice right there. It is by far the most preferred mousepad by gamers for ages. Though you may want to get QcK Mass or QcK Heavy if your table surface so you won't feel the bumpiness from the surface under the mousepad. It is also highly recommended if you tend to go to LAN parties. Otherwise, it's fine (my table is quite smooth though).
silmarilen
ive had plenty for mice that didnt work at all without one.
kriers

Frizz925 wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

white wood
Any kind of mice doesn't require mousemat to use :V
Some optical mice don't work on all surfaces i.e. wood, paper, glass etc. They all work on mouse pads.
natyusha
qck+ since my glass desk doesn't play well with my mouse.
Vish024

saymun wrote:

LaVolpe024 wrote:

My speakers are behind my screen, so when you said you hit your speakers i laughed a bit. I'm quite interested in just how much do you move your mouse around. Well anyway, I used to use my desk as a mousepad as well, then i starved myself for a day and bought myself one of those razer mousepads, and never regretting it since
I'm not even exaggerating, I've been an extremely low sens. player since I started gaming.
Mesita
Pentinor
I used to just use my desk...but from the humidity and wear and tear its all beat up and unusable now. bought a cloth mousepad for general use but once again due to humidity it doesnt work well for osu...mouse gets hard to move around and what not.

I found a piece of masonry board while helping out my grandmother move some painting equipment and noticed it was about the size of my mousepad and incredibly smooth. Started using it and omg I dont think I can ever go back to using mousepads.
Jordan

Gaming mat bitches!
hinamizawan
Steelseries QcK
Topic Starter
krndude
Whoa more replies than I expected...
Yeah I just ordered the SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad from Amazon last night and after reading that virtually every reply recommended it, I'm glad I did. I didn't get the + or mass because it would be too big to fit on the desk that I use and the 12.6" x 10.6" that the regular has is certainly enough. At $14.99 after shipping it seemed like a pretty sweet deal.
Frizz
Well QcK Mass has the same size as the standard one but just thicker (QcK Mass has 6mm height instead of 2mm which standard QcK had).
-Athena-
I used to use a piece of white paper, then I switched to a cheap cloth pad to match my cheap mouse.
I still have that paper around, just can't bear to see it go ;_;

Btw does buying a good mouse mean I need a good pad? I may get a new mouse today.
Topic Starter
krndude
Oh I see. I thought the mass was bigger in size but come to think of it mass is measurement of weight not necessarily size >_> fail.

Athena: I am currently using paper as well haha but I don't really know from experience if a good mouse needs a good pad but I'm sure a good pad would help no matter what kind of mouse it is. I got the Logitech M305 wireless mouse. It is a good mouse except it is a mini-sized mouse and now whenever I use a standard sized mouse it feels like the weirdest thing in the world. It has great portability and it uses less space than a normal sized of course, which is why I like it. I only got it cause I tried it at my friend's house and it seemed pretty nifty. The wireless is awesome but I wouldn't say this is a "great" mouse, just an average one. Even though I'm a computer science major I'm not that big of a gamer so I don't really know what's the best out there; I'm more into programming.
show more