forum

Hit hard or soft?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ A e t h e r ]
When doing mania i notice if i hit my key hard (raise my hand when doing jumps) then it tends to lose accuracy (this only happened when i play hard map), and when i hit it soft (fast stream) then it having more accuracy but sometime i getting fingerlock (or maybe i just having a bad keyboard xD). So which one is more efficient, should i try to hold it back & hit it soft or just let it like that. Because at my skill improve, i didn't raise my hand for "easy jumps"
abraker
It's hard to move fingers slightly really fast. Do an experiment and move your finger is little as you can. You will find that to be very frustrating. Now try moving it very little very fast. You will notice that you are straining your finger- almost like flexing a muscle. The faster your try to move it, the harder it becomes. Hitting softly means you are not raising your hand as much, and so it becomes more straining the faster you need to tap. This is also why you experience finger locking. Straining, or flexing the finger hard enough when it's about straight can cause it to snap in to a position. I recommend curling your fingers to avoid finger locking.
Bobbias
The irony here is that hitting the keys softly is good technique. But it is hard to do properly; particularly when you are faced with anything requiring lots of speed. The reason that hitting softly is good is because when you hit hard you generally tense up, and end up causing both muscles to contract at once (the muscles for extending and for retracting your finger). Doing this slows you down and strains your muscles.

Personally, I find it easier to play with my fingers less curled and a bit more flat, which runs completely counter to what abraker says. I found that with more curled fingers, I had problems with stamina and with hitting harder. I play 7k mainly, to make it clear, which does overall require less speed per finger, but I would be quite surprised if hitting lightly was not also good technique for 4k. I actually made an adjustment to my key settings for my right hand to make my fingers a bit flatter. I moved from sdf kl; to sdf op[, which had a pretty noticeable impact almost immediately.

I have had my fingers lock up and just basically refuse to move, but that generally only happened when I was trying to force myself to play as lightly as possible. If you're finding your fingers are locking up, just try not to hit quite that lightly.
nadavv
i hit everything hard.
on the other hand im bad at game
Topic Starter
[ A e t h e r ]

Bobbias wrote:

The irony here is that hitting the keys softly is good technique. But it is hard to do properly; particularly when you are faced with anything requiring lots of speed. The reason that hitting softly is good is because when you hit hard you generally tense up, and end up causing both muscles to contract at once (the muscles for extending and for retracting your finger). Doing this slows you down and strains your muscles.

Personally, I find it easier to play with my fingers less curled and a bit more flat, which runs completely counter to what abraker says. I found that with more curled fingers, I had problems with stamina and with hitting harder. I play 7k mainly, to make it clear, which does overall require less speed per finger, but I would be quite surprised if hitting lightly was not also good technique for 4k. I actually made an adjustment to my key settings for my right hand to make my fingers a bit flatter. I moved from sdf kl; to sdf op[, which had a pretty noticeable impact almost immediately.

I have had my fingers lock up and just basically refuse to move, but that generally only happened when I was trying to force myself to play as lightly as possible. If you're finding your fingers are locking up, just try not to hit quite that lightly.

Did u playing "bad" after the switch? Because i changed and it seem to be more easy to play at average speed & hard to play at fast one... (ZX Numpad1Numpad2) to (QW Numpad7Numpad8)
Bobbias
You mean after sdf kl; to sdf op[? It took a few plays to get used to, but I quickly got much better scores than before. Remember, I explained why that helped me: it made the distance between space and my right hand fingers bigger, so my fingers were less curled and a bit more straight. My left wrist naturally sits closer to my body since I don't need my thumb to hit space on that hand. My right hand always sat closer to the keys because I need my thumb on that hand.

Moving up to top row shouldn't have much effect in 4k because you can keep the same amount of finger curl whether you're on the bottom row or the top. The important thing is how much distance is between your wrist and the keys. If you increase the distance your wrist is away from the keys, you will have straighter fingers. If you decrease the distance, you will have more curl.
Topic Starter
[ A e t h e r ]

Bobbias wrote:

You mean after sdf kl; to sdf op[? It took a few plays to get used to, but I quickly got much better scores than before. Remember, I explained why that helped me: it made the distance between space and my right hand fingers bigger, so my fingers were less curled and a bit more straight. My left wrist naturally sits closer to my body since I don't need my thumb to hit space on that hand. My right hand always sat closer to the keys because I need my thumb on that hand.

Moving up to top row shouldn't have much effect in 4k because you can keep the same amount of finger curl whether you're on the bottom row or the top. The important thing is how much distance is between your wrist and the keys. If you increase the distance your wrist is away from the keys, you will have straighter fingers. If you decrease the distance, you will have more curl.

Yes, i totally understand this, i actually changed like you in the past but i dont know about the long run so i switched back (because i observed other "pros" key settings and most of them use bottom-ZX key). I actually play 7k with QWE Space 789 FYI :3
Minisora
I hit hard when I’m going for accuracy on low SR maps.
However, speed/stamina maps are different and I hit lightly as hitting hard drains my stamina really quickly.