1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Feature Requests
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
show more
posted
"Mappers make maps at specific difficulties, so when they make a difficulty that is just hard enough to play but not finger wrecking it would at 200 bpm."

Stream speed is a very small part of what makes a song difficult. Mapping wouldn´t change.

"Suddenly the boundary between alright and finger breaking is raised to 300 bpm."

No. I already said "More advanced techniques, while not healthy, are still faster." Maybe I wasn´t clear enough: The techniques used to reach 200 bpm+ can not be used with three fingers effectively.

"Be honest, you just want to stream faster or what?"

I don´t have any problems streaming fast. I thought that was obvious judging by point 3 and 4.

I made a case for 3 buttons as non-harmful to the community. An optional way of playing. Worse in many ways but a good fit for some people. If 3 input buttons were implemented tomorrow people would rush to it thinking it "clearly better", only to a few weeks later abandon it as "not for me".
posted
I know where you're coming from. I used to spam really high stream maps (till i almost suffered an injury) and admire 300+bpm streams.

But I don't think it should even be allowed as an option in game, rather external ways of adding a 3rd input should be promoted and encouraged for these players, because I think 2 keys on std is already intuitive and new players seeing a 3-key-usage checkbox for std and checking it isn't really the best idea.

This imo fits under the "Not really good to add design-wise but should be 100% promoted". I would suggest a notification on the 3-input after playing spamming 300bpm, but that would just be weird.
posted
As someone who always alternates fingers while playing, this has also crossed my mind. It would be a natural step up. I have tried to use mouse buttons as 3rd and 4th input, but to lesser success. I do agree with CCleanerShot that there is a possibility it will confuse new players, but having it in the client would in my opinion still be better. Let me try to argue to that point.

My (very limited) experience has been that new players tend to tap one button, and it's natural to do that even when given the option of the second button. So when trying to use both and playing poorly, it was at least my instinct to just tap one. Then when it came clear that the second button is also needed, I learned to use that. And in many cases one still plays primarily by tapping a single button.

So maybe having the third button would not confuse as much, if the instinct is to just use one. Am I making sense? Is this aligned with your experience? But it could come with some disclaimer/warning.

Would vote if able.
posted
I'm not really for this idea, it would personally completely change how osu is played.

Firstly, most maps that are known for their stream parts, e.g. Xi maps, would because much easier, less stamina would be needed making it way easier.

Also most importantly, timing would be really weird. For example if you were streaming, the first three notes would be pressed on a white tick, a blue, then a red. Once you start from the first button again you would be tapping on a blue tick? Doesn't really make sense. With this streaming would be become less timing and more spamming.
posted

Adept43 wrote:

Stream speed is a very small part of what makes a song difficult. Mapping wouldn´t change.
There are many stream heavy maps where this would change difficulty significantly. Take Time Freeze for instance. It's full of HT scores because it's so damn fast. Adding a third button would ruin what makes it so difficult.

Adept43 wrote:

No. I already said "More advanced techniques, while not healthy, are still faster." Maybe I wasn´t clear enough: The techniques used to reach 200 bpm+ can not be used with three fingers effectively.
People will learn how to use three buttons effectively if you give it time, otherwise please explain how it cannot be used effectively.

Adept43 wrote:

I made a case for 3 buttons as non-harmful to the community. An optional way of playing. Worse in many ways but a good fit for some people. If 3 input buttons were implemented tomorrow people would rush to it thinking it "clearly better", only to a few weeks later abandon it as "not for me".
It is harmful to the community because it destroys the intent of difficulty mappers had for heavy stream maps prior to the change. The community approaches human breaking records with seriousness, and if you were to suddenly make that mean less, then you are ruining what players that follow human achievement anticipate.
posted
can’t you already do this by setting one of the mouse buttons to something on your keyboard in the input settings and making sure mouse buttons aren’t turned off in osu
posted
No, mouse buttons can't be changed. Only the 2 keyboard ones.
posted
Two input keys are enough. That's one reason why the game is fun and competitive especially on higher difficulties.
posted

CCleanerShot wrote:

But I don't think it should even be allowed as an option in game, rather external ways of adding a 3rd input should be promoted and encouraged for these players, because I think 2 keys on std is already intuitive and new players seeing a 3-key-usage checkbox for std and checking it isn't really the best idea.

cravenfiner wrote:

can’t you already do this by setting one of the mouse buttons to something on your keyboard in the input settings and making sure mouse buttons aren’t turned off in osu

Skidooskei wrote:

No, mouse buttons can't be changed. Only the 2 keyboard ones.
After trying out an external program, I noticed that the effect is not the same as having three or four true inputs. The mouse buttons are treated as the same two inputs, so it is very easy to slightly leave the previous button as pressed and miss the next note because the program doesn't register the following press.
posted
This isn't to do with the topic you posted with, you're now just trying to prove everyone wrong. No one has supported this idea so I suggest you just leave it now, sorry about that :/
posted
Having more input buttons would make the game more interesting in my opinion, but it would be unfair for people who have played and set records with the 2-input limitation.

What about making the maximum amount of input buttons a map setting (like AR, CS, etc...), with all maps made before the implementation default to 2? Also, players could choose their own limit as an unranked mod.
posted
While yes there are some advantages, you can already do this, playing like Emilia or using the mouse for imputs total. Thais sacrafices aim which hurts most players 5 digit and above.
posted
Abraker, following your logic, in a world were osu only had one input button adding a second would be impossible, as it would ruin the achievements of people good at playing with only one button.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses. While I still don´t think adding another button would be disruptive, I have come to the conclusion the community can´t be convinced of that currently.

From reading Nathanael's comment I got the feeling most players enjoy pushing themselves within the current competitive structure.

If the community at some point in the future start feeling like the game is getting boring / stale, 3 buttons might get more support as a way to spice things up. Until then, I think it´s best to put this request on ice.
posted

Adept43 wrote:

Abraker, following your logic, in a world were osu only had one input button adding a second would be impossible, as it would ruin the achievements of people good at playing with only one button.
yes, exactly! My rule of thumb is if it requires a different number of inputs, then it should be counted as a different gamemode (or a sub-gamemode). Which is also the reason why different mania keymodes should be counted not as part as one gamemode.
posted
This request is not aging well considering the recent 3 button streaming controversy

Please sign in to reply.