forum

[Archived] Single diff thing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mononymous
Problem details: So I was about to map a song, it's 4:15 minutes long, a friend of mine say that it's ok for it to be 1 diff, I'm still unsure though, so do I make it 1 diff or do I make it have a variety of diff, since it isn't 5 mins

osu! version: Stable 20181231.2 (latest)
Death
As far as I know and according to the current Ranking Criteria beatmapset rules:
  1. If the drain time of the highest difficulty is...
    1. ...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal. Because osu!mania does not have a difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria yet, an osu!mania beatmapset's Normal difficulty is defined as a difficulty below 2.00 stars. For hybrid beatmapsets that include osu! difficulties, the additional modes’ lowest difficulties cannot be harder than a Hard.
    2. ...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
    3. ...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
    4. ...anything higher, the beatmapset is exempt from reasonable spread rules.

So it needs to be longer than 5 minutes for it to be rankable with only 1 difficulty. However, if you have no intention of getting the map ranked, you can map however few (or many) difficulties you want.
Rivals_7
For 4:15 in your case:

If you are going to map insane and/or below, one difficulty is fine.
If you're mapping an extra, you need at least one insane
You are free to add more difficulties to fit the spread as you will.