forum

1 miss chokes all the time

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dizzayy
Ok I know this is probably a question asked by a lot of new players but I have a really bad problem where I would play a map and fc it for about 3/4 or further into the song and then I just miss and I literally don't know how to stop choking. I know the most used answer for these types of questions is just "learn how to deal with nerves", but usually I'm not even that nervous and I just choke back to back. If u check my top plays u will see a lot of them are A's and just TV size maps. You'd probably think I'm a dirty farmer or something, but I have had countless chokes on 5-10 minute songs and it just pisses me off. I've only been playing osu! since September 2018 (I created my account in april but got like 20 minutes of play time but I've only started actually playing recently) and I know I just need to play more but I keep getting more and more demotivated the more I choke. So I would just appreciate if I can just figure out what I'm doing wrong exactly. Is it my nerves? Is it just a phase? please let me know what you think I can do. I'm sorry I don't mean to be one of those annoying noobs but I really just need some help,
mihari
Most songs get harder towards the end, you might want to create a practice difficulty for the part you keep missing on, play it a few times and if you feel good, give it another shot. If you are playing since September 2018, your consistency is most likely near to non-existant. You don't have to acknowledge it, but here's a suggestion from me: Try to check what you have trouble with and try to play it a bit, you will most likely notice that your trouble with it will slowly shrink over time as you improve. Once you feel like you improved quite a bit, you can always come back to those maps.
Topic Starter
Dizzayy

Kissen wrote:

Most songs get harder towards the end, you might want to create a practice difficulty for the part you keep missing on, play it a few times and if you feel good, give it another shot. If you are playing since September 2018, your consistency is most likely near to non-existant. You don't have to acknowledge it, but here's a suggestion from me: Try to check what you have trouble with and try to play it a bit, you will most likely notice that your trouble with it will slowly shrink over time as you improve. Once you feel like you improved quite a bit, you can always come back to those maps.
Ah ok that makes sense I'll try that out after.
UnnamedBeast

Dizzoo wrote:

Kissen wrote:

Don't follow this guy's advice. Play long maps, don't touch retry no matter what. Even if you miss on the first note(i am 100% serious)

With that, play 4* until you can 99% acc (atleast) and sightread fc. If you can do that already, move to 5*. Don't get too hung over low 5*, do low 5* until you can do them well and quickly move on to higher 5*, and after you can very easily pass high 5*, then you practice acc for 99% and sightread fc, and you do that for 6* and 7* and 8* and so on so forth.

You don't actually need to retry a map to FC it. Specially not maps this easy(relatively).
Vuelo Eluko
ive been pretty excited lately about 1 miss chokes, normally I get several misses. Don't remember when the last time I FC'd something is so I don't even make it a goal.
Topic Starter
Dizzayy

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Dizzoo wrote:

Kissen wrote:

Don't follow this guy's advice. Play long maps, don't touch retry no matter what. Even if you miss on the first note(i am 100% serious)

With that, play 4* until you can 99% acc (atleast) and sightread fc. If you can do that already, move to 5*. Don't get too hung over low 5*, do low 5* until you can do them well and quickly move on to higher 5*, and after you can very easily pass high 5*, then you practice acc for 99% and sightread fc, and you do that for 6* and 7* and 8* and so on so forth.

You don't actually need to retry a map to FC it. Specially not maps this easy(relatively).
yeah I dont really retry too often but although I get usually at least 98.50% acc on most 4 stars, some maps have different and complex patterns, especially tech maps which I only would get about 93% to 95% acc. Usually though my acc would drop towards the end of a map due to nerves.
N0thingSpecial
Play variety of maps, focus more on gameplay rather than result
mihari

Dizzoo wrote:

UnnamedBeast wrote:

Dizzoo wrote:

Kissen wrote:

yeah I dont really retry too often but although I get usually at least 98.50% acc on most 4 stars, some maps have different and complex patterns, especially tech maps which I only would get about 93% to 95% acc. Usually though my acc would drop towards the end of a map due to nerves.

Retrying actually isn't that bad, though you should only retry if you get a legit "shit" miss (like if you didn't see a note, didn't get to hit a note because you had to grab your mouse / tablet pen / you used the wrong keys or whatever) or anything that is really early into the map (less than 50 combo) and it wasn't on a jump or anything difficult.

Everyone retries if they miss early into the map or get bad accuracy, most top players retry if they miss within the first 100 notes, some retry if get a 100 within those first 100 notes, even if the map is unranked. You simply shouldn't retry too often, for example if you already retried 3 times.
UnnamedBeast
If you don't retry at all, even after shitmissing, you build consistency faster. Top players do that because getting pp plays is more enjoyable for viewers than playing 1 map and quitting after passing
DeletedUser_6869432
If you retry because you get a shit miss that means that you yourself know that you could easily hit that so that's not really an excuse to restart the map, anyways if your not going for pp retrying is pointless so might as well just move on to the next map instead of trying to prove something to yourself.
DXPOHIHIHI
Big chokes 👌
chenny
Try to play longer maps and don't retry to train your consistency.