forum

Mechanical keyboard or Membrane?

posted
Total Posts
show more
RaneFire
Who are these "not bottoming out" PRO PLAYERS I keep hearing of?

I've been told bottoming-out is bad from day 1 with mech keyboard, but I cannot play it after LOTS of practice.
I've been told palm-grip is superior on mouse-only, but I can't maintain consistent 1/2 beat accuracy or stream over 190 bpm after LOTS of practice.

I play what could be described as a "claw" finger position on keyboard, and when I play mouse-only I use claw grip.
I can't play any other way, and I've been trying the other methods much longer, whereas with little or no practice my affinity towards "claw" seems remarkably easier.

No longer do I have any reason whatsoever to listen to other people's opinions about what's best when they don't provide any solid evidence to back it up. It's all just theories at the end of it and preference is by far more important than forcing yourself to do something you naturally don't want to do.
Azure_Kite

RaneFire wrote:

preference is by far more important than forcing yourself to do something you naturally don't want to do.
Best sentence in the thread.
ychao
If not the truest.
Fabi

maal wrote:

'Sup guys.

I've been going around lately, thinking if I should acquire me one of these "mechanical keyboards."
All I really want to know is, is it worth it?
My current keyboard is a Logitech G110 membrane keyboard, and the mechanical one which I've considered, is the SteelSeries 6gv2, the standard mechanical edition.
So yeah, would it be worth it?
Mainly gaming osu! and Diablo 3, if you'd want to know so.

Also, if this is the wrong place to post, then please, can any moderator move this?

Cheers.
You could ask any friend or local store to try it, any mech keyboard, then, if you have the money go and buy it. Speculate is irrelevant, you have to try and then make the decision. And if you cannot try it, then, it is a matter of wheter you want it or not.
Jordan

Nyu wrote:

also @Jordan, since when does 200bpm streaming put you in top 1000 for pp ranking..?
It was an example, and yes it does, if you really are able to play 200 bpm you should be able to do a lot of insanes DT. (well, if you play like 1day/10 then it's different)
Keep in mind that by being able to play 200 bpm I don't mean spamming keys on the kb or doing it at the simulator.

/OT
Rena-chan
I'm using a hybrid scissor-switch/rubberdome keyboard, where is your god now ?

RaneFire wrote:

preference is by far more important than forcing yourself to do something you naturally don't want to do.
It's as this guy said, especially when it comes to peripherals. They are all about preference.
jesse1412

Jordan wrote:

Nyu wrote:

also @Jordan, since when does 200bpm streaming put you in top 1000 for pp ranking..?
It was an example, and yes it does, if you really are able to play 200 bpm you should be able to do a lot of insanes DT. (well, if you play like 1day/10 then it's different)
Keep in mind that by being able to play 200 bpm I don't mean spamming keys on the kb or doing it at the simulator.

/OT
pp still isn't that accurate. You still need tons of ranks on different songs and from what I can see doing a DT insane AR11 170bpm map whilst getting a B/A is worth less than getting a SS on an easy map rank 40 with DT. So you still only need to be good at easy songs rather than being able to do crazy/impossible maps.

I guess if you're happy with rubber domes that's fine but once you go mech, you never go back.
Rena-chan

jesse1412 wrote:

I guess if you're happy with rubber domes that's fine but once you go mech, you never go back.
Tried mechanical, didn't like it at all compared to my own keyboard (old Logitech Illuminated). What now ?
jesse1412

Rena-chan wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

Tried mechanical, didn't like it at all compared to my own keyboard (old Logitech Illuminated). What now ?
You should feel happy. I hate school computers now and using a laptop keyboard is murder.
silmarilen

Jordan wrote:

Nyu wrote:

/OT
no it doesnt. look at my video here.
i almost full 300'd that stream, and yet i cant even dream of getting past the first 20 seconds of chipscape. just because you have really fast fngers/other way to stream really fast, does not mean you are instantly pro. thats like saying you become cookiezi when you get a tablet.
Jordan

silmarilen wrote:

i almost full 300'd that stream, and yet i cant even dream of getting past the first 20 seconds of chipscape. just because you have really fast fngers/other way to stream really fast, does not mean you are instantly pro. thats like saying you become cookiezi when you get a tablet.
I thought that video was sarcastic...
thelewa

silmarilen wrote:

Looks like 2tap to me
silmarilen
it is sarcastic, but only to show 240 bpm stream =/= fc 240 bpm maps.
i z/clicked it, but other than that its purely legit. z/x is still around 180 :P

i had a question about mechanical keyboards tho
if you stream, do you lust lightly tap your key? or do you actually press it with the intention of pushing it down?
BeatofIke
I use my laptop keyboard and a cheap 400 dpi mouse to play osu. It's still possible to hit over 220 BPM streams.
Frizz

Nyu wrote:

edit: Black widow has 2mm actuation distance.
Guess what, any MX Cherry switches has 2mm actuation distance so it's not only BlackWidow, mind you.

Actuation force also does matter. If I sort the actuation force of each switches from the highest to the lowest, then it would be

Black [60g] > Blue [50g] > Brown [45g] > Red [40g]

There's also Clear Switch, but I know nothing about that one.
JappyBabes

Frizz925 wrote:

Actuation force also does matter. If I sort the actuation force of each switches from the highest to the lowest, then it would be

Black [60g] > Blue [50g] > Brown [45g] > Red [40g]

There's also Clear Switch, but I know nothing about that one.
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha ... st_6009482
Red 45g and Clear 55g
Frizz
I thought Reds were 40g since I found them lighter than Browns, oh well.
RaneFire
20g from the initial touch but if you open one of the force diagrams on the website JappyBabes linked you can see the force required increases as the springs compress. Best way to describe it is the force required at the point of actuation, which is 45g. The graph goes from 20g to 65g though. Picking the switch with the smoothest graph isn't the ultimate solution though, since that's not how your fingers work when pressing keys, we aren't robots.

Seems that the brown switch graph has it's release pressure as the lower line, and pressing pressure as the top line which is 40g to start, increases slightly then decreases back to 40g after the switch gets over the first bump in its design. That's why they feel heavier but it's probably the switch that makes the most sense.
Luddy

Wishy wrote:

Membrane keyboards are for poor people or people who don't yet know the difference between those and mechanics.
Talk about being a mean person, maybe some people prefer the feel of a membrane keyboard for not gaming, they may not be poor.
Adder

LuddShao wrote:

Wishy wrote:

Membrane keyboards are for poor people or people who don't yet know the difference between those and mechanics.
Talk about being a mean person, maybe some people prefer the feel of a membrane keyboard for not gaming, they may not be poor.
Mech keyboard also doesn't help at all in some game genres that don't require ultra piano execution.
Creyz
That 4 year necropost tho
KupcaH
then stop posting
TakuMii

LuddShao wrote:

B-but they make mechanical keyboards that feel like membrane keyboards...
Rurree
Mechanical keyboards are objectively better than membrane keyboards. Sure, you may be good with membrane keyboards, but I believe you can be so much more with a mechanical one. Changing from membrane to mechanical is like from 60 Hz to 144 Hz.
SnoEM
DEAD Thread,.. But still i PREFER (Membrane). Its a matter of Preference or a basic situation when you have money or not.e