forum

Mechanical keyboard or Membrane?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kanye West

ampzz wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

or they are actually satisfied with their membrane keyboard and don't want to spend 70-150 bucks on a keyboard they don't really need \:D/
Enjoy a limitation in high end bpm attainment/ maintenance then.
With enough practice you can play any BPM with any hardware.
Jordan

ampzz wrote:

I don't think there's a LIMITATION when using a membrane keyboard. I have one and I get faster and faster just by practice. Maybe there's some improvement when switching to a mechanical but it's only something you'll achieve with a membrane too. You just need to practice more.
thelewa
but practice is boring
jesse1412
ITT: people who haven't experienced mechanical keyboards.
Azure_Kite
At the end of the day, play with something comfortable that you enjoy using. If it works for you, great. No need to be elitist about it.
Tanzklaue

jesse1412 wrote:

Like I said: I don't see any reason to spend this big pile of money on something I as a rather casual pc-user don't need.

and ampzz: cookiezi could pass the loli marathon even with membrane, some pros play with membrane an stream over 200 BPM easily.
Wishy

Tanzklaue wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Membrane keyboards are for poor people or people who don't yet know the difference between those and mechanics.
or they are actually satisfied with their membrane keyboard and don't want to spend 70-150 bucks on a keyboard they don't really need \:D/
When you try good you can't go bad again. :(

Membrane does not limit you streaming speed, it's actually easier to get stupidly high speeds/bursts on membrane since they have shallow (not deep, fuck my english) keys, I actually have less speed while playing on a mechanical keyboard BUT the tactile feeling I get + the soft way the keys move allows me to have a better endurance and accuracy. On the long run mech ones are just better and you can't do anything about it, you can be a pro with a shit mouse doesn't mean a good one won't help you.
boat

Frizz925 wrote:

Then I wonder why there are many top players using it if it isn't good at all.
Because they go "herr dererer i need mechenecool kebord to strem" and then do like every other dumb fuck and gets the tacky blackwidow which actually fucking sucks in all aspects.
silmarilen

Tanzklaue wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

Like I said: I don't see any reason to spend this big pile of money on something I as a rather casual pc-user don't need.

and ampzz: cookiezi could pass the loli marathon even with membrane, some pros play with membrane an stream over 200 BPM easily.
i remember reading in one of the osu monthlys that the mechanical keyboard did actually help him on stream speed.
Tanzklaue

silmarilen wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

i remember reading in one of the osu monthlys that the mechanical keyboard did actually help him on stream speed.
it did, but my point is that he was really good at streaming even before he got a mechanical keyboard.
thelewa
Who the hell cares about streaming anyway, mechanical keyboards are amazingly pleasant to type with... That's enough reason to buy one.
boat
Question is whether or not a mechanical keyboard is better, which it is. He has the money, and he wants a better keyboard then his current one. Calm yo tits and cool your butt, its not our fault you're stuck with a rubberdome keyboard.
IppE

ampzz wrote:

I streamed 300bpm 1/4 on a shitty oem membrane keyboard from acer. Where is your god now.
silmarilen
mashing keys =/= streaming

streaming is being able to 300 consistently
kriers

silmarilen wrote:

mashing keys =/= streaming

streaming is being able to 300 consistently
IppE
Mashing keys works for me.
Nyu_old2

boat wrote:

Frizz925 wrote:

Then I wonder why there are many top players using it if it isn't good at all.
Because they go "herr dererer i need mechenecool kebord to strem" and then do like every other dumb fuck and gets the tacky blackwidow which actually fucking sucks in all aspects.
I got a mech keyboard. I can now stream 200-220bpm in relation to my previous 160bpm. And I do switch between the keyboards occasionally to see the difference. If you're going to be an arrogant fool then by all means go ahead. But you can't deny facts.
Jordan
Why do all these people that say "herp derp i can stream 200-220 bpm now" aren't even top #1000 in pp rank? not offending anyone uh...
xsrsbsns
"lul n0b, me just cunt be arsed to submet score on9"

Because osu isn't just about finger speed and BPM (although it's true that DT scores belittle other mods)
ziin
I'm using a mechanical membrane keyboard. where is your god now?

Also what the fuck nyu, you can't just jump 50% in performance with one simple change. I haven't noticed a difference since overclocking my mouse, and since switching back I haven't noticed either.

I'm convinced shorter actuation distances are much better. Mechanical keyboards usually suck for that, since they're usually cherry switches. I'd like to get some topre, but they're too expensive.
Souko

boat wrote:

... blue switches are cheap and tacky ... the blackwidow isn't good for anything ... blackwidow which actually fucking sucks in all aspects ...
Heh. Id' just get a BlackWidow at this point, just to see what about it has driven anyone to such levels of.. hmm, hatred? Shame I can't do that now, though. Because I already own one.

Haven't tried any other switches but I'm very comfortable playing with blue switches now. Typing works just as well as it has anytime in the past too, and it actually helps me a bit that I don't need to bottom out the keys all the time. For other games I'm kind of indifferent - it's more my mouse change that helped there, than the keyboard, but at least I haven't seen any real improvements. Maybe a bit more comfortable to keep tapping on them keys for hours, but that's about it for me personally.

For playing osu! it was pretty much instant improvement. Firstly because I just find it a lot more comfortable to play with this instead of my old cheap microsoft keyboard, especially if I'm playing for hours on end. Also because of a period of change that was associated with the whole decision of getting a new keyboard, that also included a lot of playstyle changed and blahdiblah that have been helping me improve - even if only by a little.

Point being; at least for me, the BlackWidow was worth every cent it cost me.
ziin

Jordan wrote:

Why do all these people that say "herp derp i can stream 200-220 bpm now" aren't even top #1000 in pp rank? not offending anyone uh...
I've been able to stream 220 bpm since day 1 of osu...
Nyu_old2

ziin wrote:

I'm using a mechanical membrane keyboard. where is your god now?

Also what the fuck nyu, you can't just jump 50% in performance with one simple change. I haven't noticed a difference since overclocking my mouse, and since switching back I haven't noticed either.

I'm convinced shorter actuation distances are much better. Mechanical keyboards usually suck for that, since they're usually cherry switches. I'd like to get some topre, but they're too expensive.
Too bad it happened.

edit: Black widow has 2mm actuation distance.

also @Jordan, since when does 200bpm streaming put you in top 1000 for pp ranking..?
thelewa
But the bottoming out distance is 4mm. It'll be good if you learn to not bottom out.
jesse1412

jesse1412 wrote:

thelewa
What's the point of posting a post where you quote yourself and do nothing else?
RaneFire
Who are these "not bottoming out" PRO PLAYERS I keep hearing of?

I've been told bottoming-out is bad from day 1 with mech keyboard, but I cannot play it after LOTS of practice.
I've been told palm-grip is superior on mouse-only, but I can't maintain consistent 1/2 beat accuracy or stream over 190 bpm after LOTS of practice.

I play what could be described as a "claw" finger position on keyboard, and when I play mouse-only I use claw grip.
I can't play any other way, and I've been trying the other methods much longer, whereas with little or no practice my affinity towards "claw" seems remarkably easier.

No longer do I have any reason whatsoever to listen to other people's opinions about what's best when they don't provide any solid evidence to back it up. It's all just theories at the end of it and preference is by far more important than forcing yourself to do something you naturally don't want to do.
Azure_Kite

RaneFire wrote:

preference is by far more important than forcing yourself to do something you naturally don't want to do.
Best sentence in the thread.
ychao
If not the truest.
Fabi

maal wrote:

'Sup guys.

I've been going around lately, thinking if I should acquire me one of these "mechanical keyboards."
All I really want to know is, is it worth it?
My current keyboard is a Logitech G110 membrane keyboard, and the mechanical one which I've considered, is the SteelSeries 6gv2, the standard mechanical edition.
So yeah, would it be worth it?
Mainly gaming osu! and Diablo 3, if you'd want to know so.

Also, if this is the wrong place to post, then please, can any moderator move this?

Cheers.
You could ask any friend or local store to try it, any mech keyboard, then, if you have the money go and buy it. Speculate is irrelevant, you have to try and then make the decision. And if you cannot try it, then, it is a matter of wheter you want it or not.
Jordan

Nyu wrote:

also @Jordan, since when does 200bpm streaming put you in top 1000 for pp ranking..?
It was an example, and yes it does, if you really are able to play 200 bpm you should be able to do a lot of insanes DT. (well, if you play like 1day/10 then it's different)
Keep in mind that by being able to play 200 bpm I don't mean spamming keys on the kb or doing it at the simulator.

/OT
Rena-chan
I'm using a hybrid scissor-switch/rubberdome keyboard, where is your god now ?

RaneFire wrote:

preference is by far more important than forcing yourself to do something you naturally don't want to do.
It's as this guy said, especially when it comes to peripherals. They are all about preference.
jesse1412

Jordan wrote:

Nyu wrote:

It was an example, and yes it does, if you really are able to play 200 bpm you should be able to do a lot of insanes DT. (well, if you play like 1day/10 then it's different)
Keep in mind that by being able to play 200 bpm I don't mean spamming keys on the kb or doing it at the simulator.

/OT
pp still isn't that accurate. You still need tons of ranks on different songs and from what I can see doing a DT insane AR11 170bpm map whilst getting a B/A is worth less than getting a SS on an easy map rank 40 with DT. So you still only need to be good at easy songs rather than being able to do crazy/impossible maps.

I guess if you're happy with rubber domes that's fine but once you go mech, you never go back.
Rena-chan

jesse1412 wrote:

I guess if you're happy with rubber domes that's fine but once you go mech, you never go back.
Tried mechanical, didn't like it at all compared to my own keyboard (old Logitech Illuminated). What now ?
jesse1412

Rena-chan wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

Tried mechanical, didn't like it at all compared to my own keyboard (old Logitech Illuminated). What now ?
You should feel happy. I hate school computers now and using a laptop keyboard is murder.
silmarilen

Jordan wrote:

Nyu wrote:

/OT
no it doesnt. look at my video here.
i almost full 300'd that stream, and yet i cant even dream of getting past the first 20 seconds of chipscape. just because you have really fast fngers/other way to stream really fast, does not mean you are instantly pro. thats like saying you become cookiezi when you get a tablet.
Jordan

silmarilen wrote:

i almost full 300'd that stream, and yet i cant even dream of getting past the first 20 seconds of chipscape. just because you have really fast fngers/other way to stream really fast, does not mean you are instantly pro. thats like saying you become cookiezi when you get a tablet.
I thought that video was sarcastic...
thelewa

silmarilen wrote:

Looks like 2tap to me
silmarilen
it is sarcastic, but only to show 240 bpm stream =/= fc 240 bpm maps.
i z/clicked it, but other than that its purely legit. z/x is still around 180 :P

i had a question about mechanical keyboards tho
if you stream, do you lust lightly tap your key? or do you actually press it with the intention of pushing it down?
BeatofIke
I use my laptop keyboard and a cheap 400 dpi mouse to play osu. It's still possible to hit over 220 BPM streams.
show more