forum

Diversity problem of Japanese metadata in osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lama Poluna
A terrible thing happened on osu! after Kwan's leaving and other people have trying to touch metadata. People are trying to standardize it.

Why is this bad:
1) osu! is not a commercial game. It's free. osu! doesn't buy songs and develop maps by itself. All the songs are taken for maps illegally. Does this mean that people can change the official song titles and romanize artists just based on their thoughts? I believe not. People should use official metadata.
2) A variety of metadata is unique. Only the artist decide how must looks their titles and romanization (if available). Can people who
does not create these songs have to change the official metadata?
3) Standardization of metadata shows disrespect to the artist. People freely take the song and moreover they are distort titles at their own.
4) Standardization of metadata kills the process of original metadata searching

What is killing the metadata diversity?
osu! offers us to write CV always. But have you ever wondered why there are so many kinds of scripture for this abbreviation? It's because that abbreviation have not any standards, no one dictates how it should be written. How artist want, so artist do.
Most commonly used sign is 'CV:', but 'cv', 'c.v.' (yep, with dots) or 'CV' without ':' is also found itself.
The rarest case is 'Seiyu', it can be found in singles of nineties. It looks like 'Taeko Adachi (Seiyu / Junko Okada)'
So this is the meaning of variety.

Most of all problems causes the standardizing of 'TV size'. There are only more new questions with this rule than benefits. Often people can't decide it song tv-sized or not. Also under this criteria dump all forms. Short ver, Movie ver, Clip Ver, and so on. People don't want to think these versions could have different lengths cause TV size doesn't have certain drain, huh.
Also people sometimes write this on Japanese, sometimes with small letters or large, on occasion they change 'Size' to 'Edit' without any thought and so on.

—————————————————————————————

I also want to talk about Japanese-name-romanizing. As I wrote above we have no right to invent our own romanization. We have to use the official version.
Most often wrong romanization comes from old maps, since the days when people did not know about the metadata and wrotes everything they wanted.
in most cases, it was not checked by anyone and was written at haphazard.

The most common examples of incorrect metadata:
1) All-known singer いとうかなこ on old maps have always romanized wrong as 'Itou' while her official romanized name is 'Ito' no other way. And there no difference in order, it can be 'Kanako Ito' like in old albums or 'Ito Kanako' like in new ones. Also she used 'Kanako Itoh' on some old albums which is correct too.

2) 'Name-Surname' or 'Surname-Name'. I guess if artist always uses the same method of romanization it means
this is a standard that artist has created by himself. A good example of this standard is the ことののりこ, who always uses her name as Noriko Mitose. But if an artist gives us the choice, it means that we can use any kind offered to us.

—————————————————————————————

Also I want to say that any logo posted on official website is an official romanization. For example 少女病 uses 'shoujo byou' as official romanization with lowercase because of logo that was placed on their website.
UndeadCapulet
kwan era was best era, standardization rules are icky
Ascendance

UndeadCapulet wrote:

kwan era was best era, standardization rules are icky
couldn't agree more. as soon as taking metadata from official sources became a potential problem in terms of what's right and wrong, i knew that metadata was going to be a growing problem
Nao Tomori
i prefer current cuz i dont need to look anything up on random obscure websites and have to deal with stupid dq's because stuff has to be reversed for no reason or i missed hyphens in tv size marker or something
Topic Starter
Lama Poluna

Nao Tomori wrote:

i prefer current cuz i dont need to look anything up on random obscure websites and have to deal with stupid dq's because stuff has to be reversed for no reason or i missed hyphens in tv size marker or something

In my opinion, the amount of DQ has not decreased. People still make such mistakes, because, somewhere it was not necessary to put it, but somewhere else the opposite.

I am very glad that now you have less DQ, but you call the songs incorrectly. It's so hard to call me or any other search assistant to find True metadata :')
Nao Tomori
Rather than having to burden someone else with it I can simply find it myself easily by romanizing their name directly and using (TV Size). Besides, if someone cannot find a song because I wrote mitose Noriko instead of Noriko mitose then they are probably doing something wrong. I am not calling any song the wrong name. What matters in a song is the actual name, not -TV ver.- or [TV-EDIT] or (cv. ) Or (CV: ) or anything like this. Similarly feat. Feat. featuring all mean the same thing and are irrelevant to actual metadata which is the names and the title of the song.
Topic Starter
Lama Poluna

Nao Tomori wrote:

Rather than having to burden someone else with it I can simply find it myself easily by romanizing their name directly and using (TV Size). Besides, if someone cannot find a song because I wrote mitose Noriko instead of Noriko mitose then they are probably doing something wrong. I am not calling any song the wrong name. What matters in a song is the actual name, not -TV ver.- or [TV-EDIT] or (cv. ) Or (CV: ) or anything like this. Similarly feat. Feat. featuring all mean the same thing and are irrelevant to actual metadata which is the names and the title of the song.

If it didn’t matter, then everyone would have called their songs the same, but each song uses different types of writing (TV Size) and the like, because you didn’t make this song, you don’t know if it’s meaningful and you don’t have the right to rename

There is not a single source of music that would change the name of the song for its own benefit. OSU is not a commercial game, and it does not buy these songs, and it does not have the right to change the names.