forum

Make Skins completely animatable

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +126
show more
Topic Starter
Jenny
It's meant to have a toggle to "disable aditional animated game objects" in options-tab of client, similar to the "enable background video"-one.
Stefan
Please not.
Topic Starter
Jenny

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

Please not.
Any reason?
Since you would be able to disable it, there'd be no force on it.
Soaprman
Not sure I'd want this forced on me in beatmaps too often but I could totally see myself using it for a personal skin sometime.

Having a separate "click" animation for the cursor would be nice too. I definitely have a motive for this one.
Stefan
I was at school, so didn't had time.
So why not.. Some skins are already animated, especially something like the HP-Bar.

As example, the Higurashi Skin. HP-Bar is animated.
Also my Skin got a animated Slider follow Circle. And a animated Menu-Back Image.

So it is not really neccessary to add this because this is more or less already possible.
Some things aren't ready to animated, if I'm not wrong. But mostly is possible to animated just with Pictures.
If I talk about the wrong topic, never mind then.
Topic Starter
Jenny

Soaprman wrote:

Not sure I'd want this forced on me in beatmaps too often but I could totally see myself using it for a personal skin sometime.

Having a separate "click" animation for the cursor would be nice too. I definitely have a motive for this one.
As said, it'd have a toggle in options, so you could disable it for ALL MAPS and ALL SKINS if you want to.

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

I was at school, so didn't had time.
So why not.. Some skins are already animated, especially something like the HP-Bar.

As example, the Higurashi Skin. HP-Bar is animated.
Also my Skin got a animated Slider follow Circle. And a animated Menu-Back Image.

So it is not really neccessary to add this because this is more or less already possible.
Some things aren't ready to animated, if I'm not wrong. But mostly is possible to animated just with Pictures.
If I talk about the wrong topic, never mind then.
Sliderfollowcircle.png, Sliderball.png, HP-bar and such are like always animated and that's totally common but what I want is the possibility of doing that for every item available in a skin.
Stefan

Jenny wrote:

Sliderfollowcircle.png, Sliderball.png, HP-bar and such are like always animated and that's totally common but what I want is the possibility of doing that for every item available in a skin.
These things aren't everytime animated. I don't see (as example) that the HP-Bar of the default skin is animated.
Ninja Edit: At the End some people will remove the skin anyway, because it is annoying.
I am honest about this, because I also do this in rare case.
Dragvon
I support menu elements to be animated. Gameplay ones are so-so because some could disrupt the gameplay itself, plus a little more stress on low-end pcs adding up with the storyboard load. Also, hitcircle do not stay for long time in screen, so animating would either use a little number of frames or barely noticeable. Approach circle is obviously a no-no.

Spinner background? Yeah. Circle? Maybe...
Pause and fail screen would be lovely too.
theowest
..more lag and distractions? Let's just hope nobody's ever going to use an animated skin as default in a ranked beatmap.

and I don't see how it could be applied to EVERY single skinable element. That's be awful.

The only skinable elements that I'd see work well would be combo burst, count, menu buttons, pause buttons, play skip, play warning, ranks (+ any other ranking element) and section fail/pass.
CXu
Shapeshifting hitcircle changing from a circle to a triangle to a square and back to a circle!
YES!
theowest

CXu wrote:

Shapeshifting hitcircle changing from a circle to a triangle to a square and back to a circle!
YES!
wat lol
boat

Soaprman wrote:

theowest wrote:

..more lag and distractions? Let's just hope nobody's ever going to use an animated skin as default in a ranked beatmap.

Jenny wrote:

It's meant to have a toggle to "disable aditional animated game objects" in options-tab of client, similar to the "enable background video"-one.
Conclusion? Not necessarily.

I approve of this, nonetheless.
Rena-chan
I totally approve of this !

Every skinning/mapping/storyboarding feature idea out there can (and most likely will, if implemented) be potentially abused anyway, and animating more game elements can most definitely be used in awesome ways.
Jesss
I freaking support this!! *¬* waiting long time for this kind of request!
Sakura

Rena-chan wrote:

Every skinning/mapping/storyboarding feature idea out there can (and most likely will, if implemented) be potentially abused anyway, and animating more game elements can most definitely be used in awesome ways.
We could always put some rule that prevents abuse by mappers, that way mappers would be restricted, but skinners would be free to use them for their own :)
Soaprman

Jenny wrote:

Soaprman wrote:

As said, it'd have a toggle in options, so you could disable it for ALL MAPS and ALL SKINS if you want to.
Actually, even though I said what I said, I don't think a toggle for this would be necessary, nor would be a rule prohibiting it. The modding process can catch any instances done in poor taste and I can just not play the few maps that slip through.

And I do have at least one per-map skin idea that would benefit from this.
Suimya
o.o Jenny is full of surprises ~

and I really support this idea ~
Miya
Animated skin will be good. But it will cause lag in some of computer >.<
Anyway, support :)
Yuzeyun
I approve of this, if animations can be added to the other modes too it's be great ! (More Taiko-circles frames, being limited to 2 wasn't very good when I tried to make a Yin-Yang orb note in taiko mode.)
YodaSnipe

Sakura wrote:

Rena-chan wrote:

We could always put some rule that prevents abuse by mappers, that way mappers would be restricted, but skinners would be free to use them for their own :)
Seriously you guys do a GREAT job of preventing horrible skins, distracting BGs, wtf SBs, and -_- maps. You can totally prevent abuse for completely animatable skins. [/sarcasm]
ziin

YodaSnipe wrote:

Seriously you guys do a GREAT job of preventing horrible skins, distracting BGs, wtf SBs, and -_- maps. You can totally prevent abuse for completely animatable skins. [/sarcasm]
map specific skins really need to go away.
YodaSnipe

ziin wrote:

*waves goodbye to map specific skins*
Sonez_old

ziin wrote:

worst part of playing multiplayer
Winshley
Animated hit lighting would be cool. Imagine the burst effect of the hit lighting after hitting notes, or seeing it in action during Kiai time with Hidden mod. 8-)
YodaSnipe

Winshley wrote:

Animated hit lighting would be cool. Imagine the burst effect of the hit lighting after hitting notes, or seeing it in action during Kiai time with Hidden mod. 8-)
notsureifserious
Topic Starter
Jenny
Why not spend your newly given SP?~ <3
Suimya
sure :3 since i liked this ~
KyRo_old
I appreciate and support that idea.
I have a lot of stuff in my own skin I would love to animate with flashouts and stuff but since they can't get animated they'll have to stay boring.
+1
Nikai
Yes.

+9
RBRat3
Ermm... As much as I would love this im gonna have to say no just because whats already available thats animatable is resource heavy and a big clutter. If there was another method to make this possible than whats already being used then hell yea but as it is currently I'm afraid that no one would use it if available due to the performance hit.

Partly reason why I never distributed the animated burst elements I did.

(Plus a big influx TS posts about why osu runs like shit or why they have an error about lack of Vram)
jemhuntr
What do you mean by resource heavy/big clutter? Too much files on the skin folder? Too slow performance?
There's gonna be a toggle whether you would use it or not, so performance is not a problem. There could also be an option to disable the unnecessary animations to speed up the performance and at the same time keeping a few animations.
RBRat3

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

What do you mean by resource heavy/big clutter? Too much files on the skin folder? Too slow performance?
There's gonna be a toggle whether you would use it or not, so performance is not a problem. There could also be an option to disable the unnecessary animations to speed up the performance and at the same time keeping a few animations.
Its just a fat pig, Using mass amounts of pngs is not the way to go for animations in realtime sure it would be fine if it was setup the way the HP bar is at 1 frame a second. If I was in the position to to make the choice I'd have to draw the line at burst's since it really only benefits those who have the hardware to throw at it. Most users here are going to school using laptops n' such so all I see coming from it are problems.

As for the performance hit, Its frame drop and micro stutters along with the storyboard and shaders helping it... Its really only enjoyable with low end enabled with an additional 100 something megs added onto Vram. With limiters on im scraping 59 (HD 6950) so just being at that Id hate to see what it would be like with all elements the way the bursts are.

As for the clutter... You tell me.
deadbeat

RBRat3 wrote:

i think have 63 .png's for one skin element is a bit overkill :p
RBRat3

deadbeat wrote:

RBRat3 wrote:

Its actually 64 for a complete sequence with the bursts but since the removal of the looping this is no longer the case for necessity.
jemhuntr
why not request for a .gif support for skins? :)
RBRat3
Because gif's alpha is either on or off not in-between.

Same thing with indexed png's

So it looks like this...

I think its great the way it is for whats already animatable and its within reason for everyones hardware. To add on its not so much as the amount of frames it's using but more of how many animated elements on the stage, I ran a 102 frame sequence on mania at 250x400 with no harm.
qlum
apng support on the other hand would be just fine. and actually great. It saves space over separate images.
Drafura

deadbeat wrote:

RBRat3 wrote:

I actually use a 32 frames follow point and I don't lag at all.

Here is a link if you want to "bench" them on your pc http://puu.sh/1iSyV
Ofc with more animated objects the lag could appears :s
RBRat3

Drafura wrote:

I actually use a 32 frames follow point and I don't lag at all.

Its not a constant thing for me (note density and SB when it shows, Worse with shaders on)

To be more clear I dont lag, Its very playable it more has to do with aesthetics although I did have a few micro stutters F' me up it's just at the point where if there was anything "more" to the skin than just hits it would push over to where it just wont be playable on my card.
Drafura

RBRat3 wrote:

Its not a constant thing for me (note density and SB when it shows, Worse with shaders on)
That's what i was talking about in my last sentece. But my old pc lagged with a 64 animated followpoint (that's why I've reduced it to 32) so I think this isn't a point to ignore.
show more