forum

Can't improve at jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
C15U
So I've been playing for like 1,5 year now and I would say I have become decent at the game. My main goal is not to climb up in ranks, but I think of ranking as of how far I have progressed.

For like a year I was playing strictly for pp, but then I got bored and decided to actually get good at something. So I decided to improve on singletapping speed. For like a week I was struggling, but then came back to maps that were unpassable for me before, and then I could FC them.

Then I decided to improve on other things, I was HD one trick, so I started to play no-mod as I couldn't read basic patterns without HD before, started playing AR8, a lot of loved maps with weird mechanics.

I completely couldn't do any stream that wasn't a straight line, now after 2 weeks of doing streams I can somehow stream, and it's a lot of fun and satisfaction.

But there's one aspect of the game I can't improve no matter how hard I try. Basically I can't jump just like I couldn't a year ago. Basically any jump that is longer than half of play area has a chance of 75% to actually hit. It doesn't matter if it's fast or slow, I just can't. Tried a few other grips, I moved from hovering to dragging, changed my play area, tried alternating, even tap-x at some point. Nothing helped with the fact that jumps feel random for me.

Plz help, I am losing my mind.
N0thingSpecial
From my personal experience I think there’s two ways to look at it

1) start with simple back and forth jumps like maps made by fycho, if you can’t hand and such, as then you can move on to stuff by nevo sotarks skystar or lami which include a little bit more variety in their jumps, don’t go straight into Arles maps and think you can’t hit cross screen jumps cause it requires developing muscle memory for it

2)this applies to me. Be really good at the rest of the map that’s not the cross screen jump section, so you can mentally focus on micromanaging your movement to hit the cross screen jumps, this has more to do with full comboing the map rather than actually improving your jump skills to a level of hitting Arles cross screen jumps
Endaris
Jumps and spaced streams are the two things in the game that are not about your mental skills.
Getting good at aim simply takes a long time and a lot of practice so keep going.
Topic Starter
C15U

N0thingSpecial wrote:

start with simple back and forth jumps like maps made by fycho

OMG! That was like the best advice I could get, I completely forgot that Sotarks jumps make absolutely no sense, so I can't develop muscle memory doing these jumps... By the way thanks for telling me about fycho, turns out I like his mapping style :)
Vuelo Eluko

Gornius wrote:

Tried a few other grips, I moved from hovering to dragging, changed my play area, tried alternating, even tap-x at some point.
This probably set you back each time, consistent settings are important for building up long term muscle memory and hand synchronization.
Topic Starter
C15U
Yeah you might be right. I was experimenting with playstyles to see which one fits me bets, now I am gonna stick with what I use now, as I feel 100% comfortable with it. We will see what future months bring :)