forum

[resolved] No maps showing on new PC

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Joltie
Problem details:
None of my beatmaps show up on my new PC. I've changed the slider in options to allow beatmaps from 0-10 stars, and pressed F5 multiple times at the song selection screen. When I try to drag the files into osu! it doesn't recognize the file type.
Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20181221.4 (latest)
mihari
You can't drag .osu files into osu!, you have to instead drag .osz files into it. The .osu files contain beatmap information, not the actual beatmap folder themselves.
Topic Starter
Joltie

Kissen wrote:

You can't drag .osu files into osu!, you have to instead drag .osz files into it. The .osu files contain beatmap information, not the actual beatmap folder themselves.

It also won't work when I drag the whole folder in. And thanks for responding.
mihari
Not the folder, the .osz file that you download from the website. The way I said it was quite confusing due to me not using the correct words, sorry.
Topic Starter
Joltie
Ok I think I see. I opened a random song folder here. If you wouldn't mind, could you confirm the files I need to open this map in osu! aren't in this folder? They must have lost some information when I transferred them or something. Thanks again.
mihari
They are all there. Are you starting osu! from the correct directory(the one with the map folder)? It may use a different song folder than it should.
Try clicking this button and check the songs folder.
Death
That's correct, none of the files in that folder can be dragged into the client. You most likely didn't lose any information when transferring anything, beatmaps are stored in folders just like that.

While you have osu! closed, remove the "osu!.db" file from your osu! folder. Make sure you have file extensions enabled, otherwise it is easy to miss the correct file. Once you start the game again and head to the song selection screen, you should see all of your maps reprocess, that means you removed the correct file.
mihari
If you are using Windows10, you can enable file extensions here. Is in german, but I doubt that the UI changes with your Windows language.
Topic Starter
Joltie

Death wrote:

That's correct, none of the files in that folder can be dragged into the client. You most likely didn't lose any information when transferring anything, beatmaps are stored in folders just like that.

While you have osu! closed, remove the "osu!.db" file from your osu! folder. Make sure you have file extensions enabled, otherwise it is easy to miss the correct file. Once you start the game again and head to the song selection screen, you should see all of your maps reprocess, that means you removed the correct file.

Kissen wrote:

If you are using Windows10, you can enable file extensions here. Is in german, but I doubt that the UI changes with your Windows language.

I enabled file extensions, removed all 4 database files called "osu!.db", "collection.db", "scores.db" and "presence.db" and restarted osu! multiple times, still nothing. Would it be quicker to redownload them all, or am I doing something wrong?
Death
You need to actually head to the song selection screen for your maps to reprocess if you didn't do that.
Topic Starter
Joltie

Death wrote:

You need to actually head to the song selection screen for your maps to reprocess if you didn't do that.

Yep, I did. I pressed f5 many times on the song select screen. The file names show up very briefly and then disappear, as if the process just happened really quickly. I also tried putting the other 3 database files back and just removing "Osu!.db" then restarting but that did nothing.
Death
Are you removing these files while you have the game open or something? Try not doing that, you should definitely have the game closed before messing with any of those files. It should not be possible to get to the song selection screen without that file, meaning it is either recreating itself really quickly without processing any maps (unlikely) or what Kissen said in their previous post is partially correct:

Kissen wrote:

They are all there. Are you starting osu! from the correct directory(the one with the map folder)? It may use a different song folder than it should.
It's possible to have more than one osu! installation on your computer. If you are starting the game from AppData and then removing the files in a separate installation on your Desktop, nothing is going to happen. That also means it's possible to have one installation with 10 maps and a separate one with 10k maps.
Topic Starter
Joltie

Death wrote:

Are you removing these files while you have the game open or something? Try not doing that, you should definitely have the game closed before messing with any of those files. It should not be possible to get to the song selection screen without that file, meaning it is either recreating itself really quickly without processing any maps (unlikely) or what Kissen said in their previous post is partially correct:

Kissen wrote:

It's possible to have more than one osu! installation on your computer. If you are starting the game from AppData and then removing the files in a separate installation on your Desktop, nothing is going to happen. That also means it's possible to have one installation with 10 maps and a separate one with 10k maps.

Ok. I'll say step by step what I'm doing just incase I've done it wrong.
I closed osu!. I right clicked on the app on my desktop and clicked "open file location". From there, In Appdata-Local-osu!, I made a copy of "osu!.db" and moved it to a different folder in my documents, then deleted it from the osu! folder. I opened osu! again, logged in, went to the song select screen, and pressed f5. The names of beatmap files flashed past really quickly, then nothing else happened, and there were still no beatmaps. When, I closed osu!, the database file somehow reappeared into my osu! folder! Should I delete the copy?
mihari
The reason it reappeared is that the game needs one to run. As there was none, it created one by itself again.
Topic Starter
Joltie
I honestly think it will be quicker to just re-download the ones I want at this point, thank you both so much for your excellent help. I will still willingly try anything you think will work, but don't fret about it now. Thanks so much again, and sorry for wasting your time.
Death
I'm not sure why it's not working unless the BeatmapDirectory line your config file is not pointing to the correct location. If this is a new installation, that shouldn't be the case.

Try installing the game one more time to a completely different location on your computer. If you still have a backup of your songs somewhere else, you can delete the osu! folder you are using now. Then, move your beatmaps into the new Songs folder associated with this new installation.
Topic Starter
Joltie

Kissen wrote:

The reason it reappeared is that the game needs one to run. As there was none, it created one by itself again.

Death wrote:

I'm not sure why it's not working unless the BeatmapDirectory line your config file is not pointing to the correct location. If this is a new installation, that shouldn't be the case.

Try installing the game one more time to a completely different location on your computer. If you still have a backup of your songs somewhere else, you can delete the osu! folder you are using now. Then, move your beatmaps into the new Songs folder associated with this new installation.

Yes! It finally worked! I can't thank you two enough. Thanks so much for your perseverance!