forum

Unlock difficulty

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Seisshi
Hi Osu! Community

First off all i'm sorry for my bad english :p And i'm not sure if there is already a Topic about this Idea i have. I used the searchbar but i didn't finde any. But i wan't still share this.

How about unlock difficulty's? It should work like if someone start osu! with a new account he have to get first like XX S ranks on easy diffs to unlock normal diffs. And than get XX S on normal to unlock hard etc.. I had this idea while i was playing "Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX" because to unlock the ONI diff you have to get 15 crowns =S on hard. I think it's easier for newbies to get in the feeling of osu! because i know a lot ppl who started playing osu! and than quit because they tried Insane maps and failed all the time. At the same time i think it stops a little bit ppl with multi accounts. I mean i would be pissed if i had to beat first all low diffs to get to Insane. It's not the point of it but i think it still stops it a bit.

Sorry again if ithis is a double post.
theowest
Like on osu!stream. It could work I guess.

however I always wanted to have a rhythm game with a storyline, like ouendan
or structured in the way of rhythm tengoku.
Topic Starter
Seisshi

theowest wrote:

I agree with that. Because it makes the game a little bit more interesting for some ppl.
JappyBabes
Something like this would seem to be a separate game option. Play > Solo > Story. Remember playing EBA and that was interesting to see how one progresses over time.
Soaprman
Nah, bad idea. Let your skill decide when you're ready to jump to the next level, not some unlock mechanism.
theowest

Soaprman wrote:

Nah, bad idea. Let your skill decide when you're ready to jump to the next level, not some unlock mechanism.
Exactly. That's why something like this will never get implemented.
Sakura
Not only that, but the difficulty rating of beatmaps would need to be fixed before something like this can happen.
theowest

Sakura wrote:

Not only that, but the difficulty rating of beatmaps would need to be fixed before something like this can happen.
oh yeah. That's a really important part.
Topic Starter
Seisshi

Sakura wrote:

Yeah it is. But it's just an idea. Maybe it can be used in any other way like a mode. I'm thinking about a "starter mode" with this in it. In this starter mode ur able to play like this. If u wanna play it u have to download a beatmap pack for this with already fixed difficulty.

PS: Or like JappyBabes said as a story mode...
Stefan

theowest wrote:

So go play it if you want.
This idea isn't imaginable. osu! isn't this kind of game.

About Topic: It is the same principle as the statement "Rank doesn't tell the skill of a player."
So no support.
Topic Starter
Seisshi
And how about the fun factor? Do every game have to be based on skill? Not rly... time to time it's getting boring. Always the same.

This idea isn't imaginable.
Why?

Btw and the idea is that this mode is not rankable... just saying.
Stefan

[ JJ-core ] wrote:

And how about the fun factor? Do every game have to be based on skill? Not rly... time to time it's getting boring. Always the same.
No, but if it is "just" the same, then explain me why people still plays osu!.
Not every game must have a storyline.
Topic Starter
Seisshi

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

No, but if it is "just" the same, then explain me why people still plays osu!.
Not every game must have a storyline.
Yeah it's not a "MUST HAVE" but i mean...why not? Something new is better than nothing in my opinion. Because i think it;s getting boring now. Maybe not that what i was thinking about.... but something new would be nice to be honest.
Aoko
Nope.
theowest
SB beatmaps with a story are good enough.
Any forced controlled over a player isn't what makes a game fun. It makes it harder for you to experience all features of the game.
Topic Starter
Seisshi
Well /closed
Tsukimi Luna
nah i dont think this will work....
Bcuz when i download new beatmaps i would just go to insane straight away... and ignore the easy difficulties...
Its not really that fun or convenient
and if its to stop 2nd accounts
2nd accounts shudnt even exist in the 1st place xD

But on the other hand story mode sounds cool
Topic Starter
Seisshi

Yuu-Chii wrote:

nah i dont think this will work....
Bcuz when i download new beatmaps i would just go to insane straight away... and ignore the easy difficulties...
l

The idea was not that u every time have to beat the easy diffs etc first on a map. The idea was that u have to beat first like 20 maps on easy to play the normal diff on every map.....and than like 20 normal maps to unlock hard for every maps etc. But yeah i think just /close xD
Maneuver
its closed but erm.. put a story mode with beatmap that is arranged with the story while retaining the normal play mode. That means we add a new play style with story mode only without changing other things. The story mode is fixed songs for each level and after that, total up the score of 10 songs in the level as story mode ranking.. something like that~
bwross

theowest wrote:

Osz2 might help make that more feasible to hack. Basically, if the map set data is encrypted and there are editing access controls, you could put in a password in for the successful completion of a map. That password (potentially built up from several maps) could be used to decrypt a rar containing the next tier of maps. It could be done right now, but it would be far too easy to just pull the passwords out of the map set directories. Still, the passwords will likely be spoiled online in short order in any case, so it all comes down to whether you're the type of person to cheat yourself.

The biggest issue, though, is the tremendous amount of work to put together such a project.
Azure_Kite
bwross, what. You're overthinking this.

The code to determine whether a player has cleared a particular map has already been implemented. All that would need to be done is to make a check for "story maps" in-game to see whether the previous one has been cleared or not.
bwross

Azure_Kite wrote:

bwross, what. You're overthinking this.

The code to determine whether a player has cleared a particular map has already been implemented. All that would need to be done is to make a check for "story maps" in-game to see whether the previous one has been cleared or not.
See my comment on the amount of work required to put together a storyline set. I can't see real support being added to the software for something that will see a use once a blue moon... the methodology on the project is to minimize features, not to supply every feasible option. Effort is better put into putting things into the game that will be used more frequently, which can't be as easily done without internal support (like, say, nonstop and endurance modes). Sure internal support for this would make things easier in a number of ways, but it's not a requirement... if people do start making such tiered storylines regularly, then there might be a reason to move on it, but right now there's just not enough reason.

Plus, I didn't really have to think at all... I've seen rars used for this sort of tiered effect before.
Sakura
If this is implemented the story maps would need an ouendan/EBA kind of storyboard (Like Dont Stop Me Now)