forum

[Proposal] Remove the multiple background videos rule

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
clayton
In the Rules section of Video and Background:
A beatmap set may not contain multiple background video files. Multiple videos within a single beatmap set is not supported.

Proposal:
Remove this rule entirely.

Reason:
Beatmaps do fully support multiple videos, so the rule is both incorrect and unintuitive.

Why this change is useful:
Consider the case where a mapper wants to include multiple videos that start at different times. For example, one would play from 00:00:000 to 03:00:000, and another would play from 08:00:000 to 10:00:000. To achieve this currently, the mapper would need to use an external program to create a video with blank data between 03:00:000 and 08:00:000. This results in three things:
  1. A larger beatmap size. A typical x264-encoded video of a still image uses about 75kB/min
  2. The beatmap background being obstructed from 03:00:000 to 08:00:000
  3. An unintuitive process, since the mapper is required to use an external program instead of osu! itself
papple104
But still video files take a lot of space. There can be exceptions, but usually we don't need two or more videos in a beatmap set...
Aiseca

pappl e 104 wrote:

But still video files take a lot of space. There can be exceptions, but usually we don't need two or more videos in a beatmap set...

Yeah, unless used in a compilation, marathon or alike, I cannot see any change to remove it rather than making the filesize of a map inflated because of the video.

Quality also is a matter since some video files does have huge sizes with poor quality.
Topic Starter
clayton
pappl e 104 and Aiseca, I think you are forgetting about this rule:
A video's offset must be correct and consistent between difficulties. Videos synchronize with their respective songs, so inconsistencies result in one or more difficulties being out of sync.

this implies that you can't have different videos for each difficulty, and as such, the file size of a beatmap will never increase as a result of making the change I propose. it should probably be re-worded to make this case clear.
papple104

clayton wrote:

Consider the case where a mapper wants to include multiple videos that start at different times. For example, one would play from 00:00:000 to 03:00:000, and another would play from 08:00:000 to 10:00:000.

You should have explained this earlier. Seems like it would happen in marathon maps or song compliations maps, and such change would help reduce total file size in a way. But just fully remove this rule may cause confusion like, as I've written above for example. So there can be multiple video files, but the second rule you've mentioned should extend to smth like Video file usage, order and offsets must be correct and consistent between difficulties. as well.
tatatat
If thats the case just merge all the videos into one big video.
UndeadCapulet
i agree with this for the most part, though the example you gave is very uncommon and janky. a more common thing that would come up would be using multiple videos for hybrid sets, since the different modes have different screen availabilities. still overall though the practice shouldn't be encouraged too much, almost always a single-mode set will only need a single video, so moving it to guidelines makes the most sense to me.
Topic Starter
clayton
@UC: in that case, you could just move and scale the same video accordingly

I agree some basic re-wording of the related rules is necessary for clarity. I made a PR with my proposed changes https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/1906/files

do you think it's worth writing it as a guideline instead? I've never seen different maps of a set use *different* videos, though I have seen multiple videos (example: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/29157)
Noffy
"Every difficulty of a beatmapset must include the same video(s)."

No

This disallows hybrid mapsets with taiko involved from having video on the other difficulties and not the taiko difficulties (as the taiko playfield covers most of it). Look at literally any hybrid set that has both video and taiko difficulties. The vast majority, if not all, do not have video on the Taiko diffs while having it on the other mode difficulties.

Different videos between modes would be extremely beneficial for this, so long as keeping a mapset reasonable filesize is observed properly (which upload limits should already do to an extent).

For example, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/348969 and https://osu.ppy.sh/s/275907 and https://osu.ppy.sh/s/870293 use special editing to make the video both fully visible and appealing on the taiko game mode in a way that simple move and scale can not achieve. Allowing different videos on different difficulties would allow the taiko diffs to use a similar specially edited video while other modes keep a regular video.

Requirements:
- All video offsets must be correct.
- If the same video is used, offset must be consistent between difficulties it is used on.

Suggestion:
Rules
- A video's offset must be correct. Videos synchronize with their respective songs, so an incorrect offset can result in the video being out of sync.
- The same video(s) on multiple difficulties must use consistent offset settings.
FrenZ
In addition, using multiple background videos would simply multiply the size of the beatmapset to potentially 40-50mbs which osu! doesn't like handling...

For example, let's say your average TV Size set has five difficulties and is 6mb large with a decent mp3 and hitsounds. However, each difficulty wants to use its own separate background video, which is 10mbs each. With five of those, you now have an extra 50mbs, increasing your total size to 56mbs. At 56mbs, the submission system is inconsistent at best and many people don't have the internet required to download that much data quickly.

EVEN if all five videos were compressed to 7 or 8mbs, that would still make the set 41 and 46mbs respectively, which is still too large for the submission system to reasonably handle.

EDIT: I'm now aware that pappl e 104 has mentioned this but I wanted to explain an example to demonstrate my point.
Noffy
The case type clayton brought up would have smaller filesize if multiple videos are used.
What I brought up would be usually 2 videos on a hybrid set, not 4 or 5. Uploading limits would force mapsets to keep reasonable sizes, the cases you described shouldn't even be possible to upload.

filesize is an issue, not the number of videos on a mapset itself. one issue shouldn't be controlling the other. so long as the mapset isn't excessively huge (which it can't be because of system limitations) multiple videos in itself should be ok.
Topic Starter
clayton
updated https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/1906

@dorothy: I included the same rules as you wrote, but I re-worded the first part so that it only applies to videos that actually do sync with the music in some way. should read pretty much the same so hopefully this is okay \o/
Noffy
I said this in discord to clayton already iirc but forgot to post here, agree with the changes in the form they are on github atm. We'll see about moving this
trevorsmithy
An additional reason to have multiple videos is if the video can assist or compliment the design of the beatmap. However, each difficulty has different notes, so multiple videos are necessary.