forum

[Archived] Osu! Songs Path weird behaviour with very long beatmap folder names

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Crafterdark
Problem details:

Hopefully not a duplicate, but I couldn't find anything similar here so...

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/825377 (Look in the comments)

This problem is probably caused by a max path limit forced in the "C:\Users\your_name\_something_\Local\osu!\Songs" folder. (It's not a Windows issue either, I removed the 260 character path limit as well)

You are most likely getting this problem if "your_name" and "_something_" are very long as well...

If you don't see the problem on your PC, just rename the beatmap folder downloaded on the above link with something even longer (or the .osu file inside)

To fix the problem you have to manually edit the folder with a shorter name (This is painful if you plan to add multiple beatmaps folders inside a "long name subfolder" put into the Songs folder)

What happens with this map (or other maps inside "long name subfolder"):

They are named by the game as "//" and usually listed as 0 star difficulty sort (or by just pressing F5 they will be instantly selected)
Attempting to open them will result in two different events based on how long their folder name/.osu file name is:
1)The map won't load and will trigger a "Can't open map" message
2)The map won't load and the game will constantly attempt to refresh songs indefinitely until you force close the game with task manager...

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

(I might add screenshots later, but they are not really needed...just download the beatmap above and try to make the beatmap folder name longer, if you don't get the same issue explained above)

osu! version: Stable 20181212.2 (latest)
Death
As you said right at the beginning of your post, this is because of the max path length limitation that Windows has in place. I guarantee if you install osu! to a different location with a shorter path and try to import that map it will work just fine.

In regards to that max path length, you can only disable it if you are on Windows 10 version 1607+ AND it still only applies to "common Win32 file and directory functions". While it would makes sens for that to include AppData, I'm not 100% sure it does. If it does then you likely did something wrong, because other people in the past have tried disabling this limit as well and have successfully resolved this issue by doing so.

As for the workaround also mentioned on the Microsoft page I linked, I'm not sure if it is possible to implement. I don't think this issue is present in Lazer, either because of that, or because of how beatmaps are stored in general, but don't quote me on that (I checked briefly a long time ago).
Topic Starter
Crafterdark

Death wrote:

As you said right at the beginning of your post, this is because of the max path length limitation that Windows has in place. I guarantee if you install osu! to a different location with a shorter path and try to import that map it will work just fine.

I wasn't really sure, so that's why I asked here...but I guess this is probably the issue then
EDIT: I'll do some tests with different folder paths to see if there's a way to get any subfolder name length to work in Windows 10 (with the 260 char fix you mentioned)