Regarding Beatmap Commissions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Liiraye

bor wrote:

peppy wrote:

stuff
I explained what I meant right below it, and yeah its incredibly obvious that "one can make a map of that same song" but they probably won't because of what I explained prior.

also you said:

peppy wrote:

Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this

about joining, its strictly untrue, but this isn't the thread for that.

well he did say

"Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this and we will give them suport where possible."

however I'm also not very keen on dibs etc for a group of mappers, why not just promote it to everyone? unless that's already the case...
anna apple

Liiraye wrote:

well he did say

"Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this and we will give them suport where possible." I'm talking about strictly joining the mappers guild, not everyone is welcome to join it, and it is supported by staff via > giving their own channel in X discord server related to staff, badges for people in it
also its been pretty exclusive about who joins from my and many other "qualified" (via the standards they listed on their first promotion post after going public, lol supported by staff before being public xd) people's experience(s)

however I'm also not very keen on dibs etc for a group of mappers, why not just promote it to everyone? unless that's already the case... dibs is in reference to the albums being released to the Mapper's guild before anyone else can see them for FA, they end up pushing maps for ranked internally(being within the guild) before any other mapper can access the FA music.
peppy
If you have a better proposal of how to have some beatmaps ready with FA releases without giving away the releases beforehand (we want to have a bit of surprise/anticipation, right?!) then please bring that up elsewhere. This thread is not for discussing how FA/other groups should work.

And if FA won't let you in why not put in the effort to make your own group? Everything starts with effort. We aren't against seeing more interesting mapping teams forming. This used to be a more commonplace thing in the past and it resulted in really creative projects.
Amasugi
I'm all for this. A map should be made out of creativity, not through money and stuff like that
Jonhy77

Monstrata wrote:

Furthermore, the only income osu! receives is from osu!supporter which only goes to the benefit of osu!staff. This means they are profitting off the creation of maps, as well as the efforts of BNs and QATs who push these maps for ranked. This is an issue IF BN's and QAT's are considered part of the staff, but not an issue if BN and QAT are just part of the community and regular users.

If I'm not wrong, I think osu!supporter is legally considered a donation and not a purchase, so there would be no legal issues on that part of the matter
Saturnalize
Stage
Imagine being top 1k paying someone to map and rank farm maps with only patterns you're good at because you're that bad xDD
anna apple

peppy wrote:

If you have a better proposal of how to have some beatmaps ready with FA releases without giving away the releases beforehand (we want to have a bit of surprise/anticipation, right?!) then please bring that up elsewhere. This thread is not for discussing how FA/other groups should work.

And if FA won't let you in why not put in the effort to make your own group? Everything starts with effort. We aren't against seeing more interesting mapping teams forming. This used to be a more commonplace thing in the past and it resulted in really creative projects.
what is the point in responding to this? it was just explaining how it worked to someone lol.

I posted other issues you have yet responded to about the hypocrisy with this whole thread/statement where you want the music creators permission to use their content, and we have FA which is supposed to be the sole ground for licensed mapping content, but for some reason only mapper's guild is backed up/rewarded by staff for mapping FA content instead of any regular user. Then you say yourself anyone can join it(which is untrue), making people feel like if they wait til they get into the group then they can get the rewards. Or you take a large part of the mapping community who is a fan of most of the mappers in mapper's guild due to the popularization of pishifat's "educational videos", and you ask them to map FA. Why should they when their favorite maps of the songs are already out? Not to mention many of the already FA songs that are out are borderline unmappable especially for standard, but lol.

as for the comment on other things,

osu!team wrote:

we have decided that all members of any osu! team involved in the ranking process (e.g. Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc)
So BN and QAT are part of osu!team or you could say "staff" no? but we want to pretend like all the songs being pushed as official content in osu! that isn't licensed is something osu! doesn't know about?
h3oCharles
is it REALLY that hard to say that the origin of this problem is Sotarks? Isn't restricting him (again) the easiest solution?
Smug Nanachi

h3oCharles wrote:

is it REALLY that hard to say that the origin of this problem is Sotarks? Isn't restricting him (again) the easiest solution?

no
Sieg

bor wrote:

Though it's thanks to pishi and MG we have that nice stream of great quality maps, really huge effort from them. Still I agree with the point that there is no really sense to pick music from FA if you not in MG unless you really desperate to map exact track. Not because rewards but mainly because of releases availability and support through ranking process which currently in the wild as none as for unlicensed content, wish this was on the "team" priorities radar as well as fighting with commissions.
Acylica
lol
Pachiru

h3oCharles wrote:

no
Monstrata

peppy wrote:

Monstrata wrote:

long post
Our terms of service do and always have covered this. Please take responsibility for your own actions. There are many mappers that ask before using content from others. There are many tracks we have cleared for use which aren’t necessarily listed under Featured Artists (you’d be surprised). Saying 99% of content is “unlicenced” (if you’re just looking at FA) may be correct, but I’d argue much more has been acknowledged/approved.

As we tried to make painfully obvious in the original statement, no rules have changed in terms of how we control your uploads (for now; EU rulings may change that). We can’t change rules because we work under existing obligatory laws. Do your own research and decide how you act on this online platform, plese.
Yes, TOS has covered this. But there has been little, short of nuking anime episodes, that is done to combat unlicensed material. I'm rather skeptical of "many mappers" asking to use content before uploading maps. Especially when it's mp3s. Backgrounds/wallpapers there's a healthy amount of mappers who try to give credit which is good. But it's the mp3 we're more concerned about. Maps are built around the song, not the background after all. I'm also interested in why we don't have a list of "cleared" tracks then, if there are "many tracks that are cleared for use". I'm also interested why we continue to allow beatmania/konami/etc.. songs to be uploaded and ranked even though these sonds were blanket dmca'ed in the past, but this is probably something we'll want to push with a new Ranking Criteria change.

Basically, what is to stop me from reporting every map currently in qualified, and claiming that the mapper does not possess a license or right to use the mp3 they uploaded for their map. If the mapper is unable to give evidence, aren't osu!staff obligated to nuke the map? Because it is therefore uploading infringing material no?

Put simply, how would uploading an unlicensed mp3 be different from uploading an unlicensed anime episode at that point. What if I had contacted Funimation and had received the rights to upload that Attack on Titan Episode 1 beatmap lol. I'm just raising this as a foil because osu!staff was certain in their decision to nuke that map (which is fair) but seems to turn a blind eye on the same thing being done if it's just an mp3.
Irreversible

peppy wrote:

There are many mappers that ask before using content from others.

lol okay
nice boy
JMC
> peppy create osu!
> peppy added osu!team
> osu!team added community
> "some guy" joined osu!
> "some guy" added "Beatmap Commissions"

peppy: "what the heck, I even only made a profit from donation and selling stickers"
osu!team: "wtf"
community: "lol wut"

> peppy, osu!team, community left the group
h3oCharles

JMC wrote:

> peppy create osu!
> peppy added osu!team
> osu!team added community
> "some guy" joined osu!
> "some guy" added "Beatmap Commissions"

peppy: "what the heck, I even only made a profit from donation and selling stickers"
osu!team: "wtf"
community: "lol wut"

> peppy, osu!team, community left the group

+1
RoroTheDeer
Really nice to see this happening, hopefully this help those who create maps out of a legitimate passion for the game and weed out those who map for monetary gain. Thank you, osu! staff!
Lavender

osu!team wrote:

we have decided that all members of any osu! team involved in the ranking process (e.g. Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc) will be explicitly forbidden from undertaking or participating in paid modding, ranking OR beatmapping commissions while they retain their role on the team.

wiki wrote:

The Beatmap Nominators, commonly abbreviated as BN, is a group in charge of beatmap nomination. As of 2014-08-22, they are no longer a part of the staff.
Mizzukikun
not bad.
Toy

Lavender wrote:

osu!team wrote:

we have decided that all members of any osu! team involved in the ranking process (e.g. Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc) will be explicitly forbidden from undertaking or participating in paid modding, ranking OR beatmapping commissions while they retain their role on the team.

wiki wrote:

The Beatmap Nominators, commonly abbreviated as BN, is a group in charge of beatmap nomination. As of 2014-08-22, they are no longer a part of the staff.
Post says any osu!team, not specifically staff
Foerster
e
talia
I feel like the limit for beatmap submissions (so you don't have to wait a full 4 weeks to upload another map) it should be raised to like 5 or 6 and make it lower than 10 to avoid spammers. I feel like this would be nice to have.

Lapidox
Absolutely needed. Thank you.
-NaeNae-
Love how they addressed it as casual and not pay to win, I'm not against paid mapping at all as I can see it as a profitable market but it might not have a place on osu yknow
Wisoven
Yeaehaaeaah, Armin. What regarding beatmap commissions said
Jun Maeda
Ngl this is really epic.