forum

Regarding Beatmap Commissions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Sparhten

peppy wrote:

Sparhten wrote:

if so whats to stop people from just quitting qat/bng and doing the same thing?

Nothing. And completely banning it is not our goal here. See the second half of the original post which attempts to make this distinction.

mmm my concern about that was is that if there's nothing enforcing it other then it damages the reputation/future of the game people might not care/do it anyway because of selfish reasoning. But only time will tell. overall good change in the right direction at the least.
BluGalaxian
Thank you, osu! team! This exploitation was handled in the most fit way possible if you ask me.
Ryuusei Aika
(a). "... Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc) will be explicitly forbidden from undertaking or participating in paid modding, ranking OR beatmapping commissions ..."

- That means any member of osu! team can't get paid to mapping/modding/ranking, which indicates:
(1) A map can still get ranked if it's a commissioned map made by people who isn't a member of the osu! team, so long as any BN/QAT... who have modded/nominated it didn't get paid, and
(2)

peppy wrote:

Sparhten wrote:
if so whats to stop people from just quitting qat/bng and doing the same thing?

> Nothing. And completely banning it is not our goal here. See the second half of the original post which attempts to make this distinction.

(b). "... we ask that all individuals who undertake commissioned work to do so tastefully, with utmost respect given to the license/rights-holders of any works involved in the creation of a beatmap - this includes obtaining proper licensing/clearance for all media/art/etc involved. "

That doesn't mean: "If a commissioned map doesn't have any permission from artists who have participated in making the song, then it would be strongly prohibited;"
It means: "We're still living in the grey area, please obey that simple convention, osu! players, PLEASE!"

BluGalaxian wrote:

Thank you, osu! team! This exploitation was handled in the most fit way possible if you ask me.
Cherry Blossom
Nice. Because a lot of people forget that making money on something that the mapper doesnt own any licence could have bad consequences to the game and the mapper itself...
Yugu
nice
TruGerman
Rip Sotarks lol
Chanci
🍿
Nevo
Nice :3c
Icekalt
i guess now everythings how it used to be 2 months b4
ill take it
FrenZ
At least this is something, which I'm glad about. However, I'd rather see a more concrete stance instead of a plea not to commission songs... because we all know how well asking people not to do things goes.
Suissie
Unecessary
MeschejrePL
You don't even know how happy I am to see this banned
AndrewRK
Very happy with this. Thanks for speaking out and thanks for all your hard work!
TomoridropMoeta
Well i follow what youwwant to do
Shaper
poggers.
DeletedUser_10883764
This means BNs can no longer get their maps ranked while they are still a BN ?
ImranNajmi
thank you osu staff, very cool!
woahsia
How will this be enforced in more vague cases? For example a member of the BNG or QAT can just set a donation goal on stream, and then when he reaches the goal he will make a map from a song that will be chosen from a poll that is voted on by followers. Does this still count as doing a commission as it is technically not done directly and would be unknown without proper context?
Megapcmx
Totally needed
Xen
Bless
Linada
there is zero way to know if a mapset is a commission tho, mapper just have to not tell and nobody will know
Come[Back]Home
Wait what? People actually took money to map something? Really makes you look different at those persons. Mapping is supposed to be for the fun part, and not for money or fame. I seriously can't believe it and am truly shocked. So this is what the mapping community has come to? Thats what happens when people get drunk on their fame.
_handholding

Linada wrote:

there is zero way to know if a mapset is a commission tho, mapper just have to not tell and nobody will know

No but the can't publicly advertise their commissions thus will be getting a lot less requests
Aiseca

Come[Back]Home wrote:

Wait what? People actually took money to map something? ......

extrasensory
Very welcomed change. Definitely a step into the right direction.
Aelin
See ya Sotarks. Good change
MarcoBrolo
N I C E
Peter
I can mostly agree with that since people shouldn't take money for maps they are making, osu! is free tool to use and people can't just take money for using it in abusive way for pp farming etc.

Using free tools/resources to earn money isn't always legal
Daylight--
[deleted]
toybot

woahsia wrote:

How will this be enforced in more vague cases? For example a member of the BNG or QAT can just set a donation goal on stream, and then when he reaches the goal he will make a map from a song that will be chosen from a poll that is voted on by followers. Does this still count as doing a commission as it is technically not done directly and would be unknown without proper context?

No not really, that's more of a public fundraising project rather than a private commission, since it involves the community interacting with the stream and people are more or less donating for stream entertainment
Zexous
WOOOOOO YEAH
Linada

Princess Kisses wrote:

Linada wrote:

No but the can't publicly advertise their commissions thus will be getting a lot less requests

i believe that one person affected by this doesnt need more exposure at the time being, and can just continue doing this just free
Beomsan
Nice, I hope as many people as possible don't make maps for money...
squirrelpascals
I also think the uncertainty of wether or not a map is commissioned should be addressed.

Other than that awesome change! Hope this gets extended to more of the community in the future
Miru
About time, nice!
WoctorDho
I think this was a very responsible way to handle this situation. wp
Ascendance

squirrelpascals wrote:

I also think the uncertainty of wether or not a map is commissioned should be addressed.

Other than that awesome change! Hope this gets extended to more of the community in the future
An obligation to say (in map desc or something) if the map was a commission or not would be nice. Lying about that kind of thing now has serious consequences and ahould have a harsh penalty.
Nyxa

Come[Back]Home wrote:

Wait what? People actually took money to map something? Really makes you look different at those persons. Mapping is supposed to be for the fun part, and not for money or fame. I seriously can't believe it and am truly shocked. So this is what the mapping community has come to? Thats what happens when people get drunk on their fame.

While I agree with the ruling, I can't help but be bothered by posts like this. Taking money for doing something you are good at and enjoy is not only normal, it is something practically every content creator does. It's not just people who draw art, all kinds of content creators take money for the work and effort they put into a piece of content in some form or other, be it through Patreon, Youtube ads, Twitch subs, or anything else.

What really impresses me about the ruling is that it does not outright ban commissions, it bans making money off of the backs of others' works. This is good, because this is how it works in most places as well. Unless you fall under Fair Use you need the artist's permission in some form or other in order to make money off of their work.

My point is, while I'm sure there's very shady things to take commission for, saying "Mapping is supposed to be for the fun part, and not for money or fame." is horribly lopsided considering the amount of effort some mappers put into their maps. If someone is willing to pay them for it, and they don't abuse either the system or other artist's work in the process, there is nothing wrong with them accepting that payment.

One good use case I could see for this would be an up and coming artist paying a very popular mapper to map their song so it could gain attention. This is a form of advertisement and would be perfectly fair imo.

And don't forget that while this is a free game, osu!supporter is practically the same as Patreon. Mappers are content creators for osu just like programmers are, so I don't see why one form is appalling while the other isn't.

Just my 2c.
[Shiny]
This won't stop the ranking mafia at all, but a first step (at least to try to) like this is always welcome.
Remyria
nice
show more