forum

Regarding Beatmap Commissions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Glac1al
Well said.
Uta
personally, i dont really have any objection with mapping commisions since mapping is something like a free place. you can do whatever you want and rank it as long as it adhere the ranking criteria. but not with team members helping to rank something in order to earn money. but isnt it just limiting people doing something.

im just sure that people wont abuse the mapping commisions and bn/qat power. atleast it wont be a big issue where it'll become really popular issue among mapping community.

actually no one knows what will happen so im just shrugging here~
Yukiyo
Thank you! nice
Wrath
not bad
ScubDomino
Yusomi
good stuff
Zelq
yes
_handholding
Thank you
Sparhten
we have decided that all members of any osu! team involved in the ranking process (e.g. Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc) will be explicitly forbidden from undertaking or participating in paid modding, ranking OR beatmapping commissions while they retain their role on the team.

To clarify this means the qat/bng cannot mod, rank, or map if theyre paid to do it, but they can mod/rank something that someone paid for correct.

i.e. a non bng/qat mapper makes a commissioned set. this set can still be pushed to ranked correct?

if so whats to stop people from just quitting qat/bng and doing the same thing?

edit: to clarify im all for this change im just not sure its fully addressing the problem/i might be misunderstanding.
IOException
yea i agree that this rule should extend to everyone; even if its not directly enforceable for everyone, at least through some indirect reporting system similar to cheating
peppy

Sparhten wrote:

Nothing. And completely banning it is not our goal here. See the second half of the original post which attempts to make this distinction.
quila
[deleted as part of purging my old post history]
Sieg

osu!team wrote:

So it comes down to this: we ask that all individuals who undertake commissioned work to do so tastefully, with utmost respect given to the license/rights-holders of any works involved in the creation of a beatmap - this includes obtaining proper licensing/clearance for all media/art/etc involved.
Just to clarify, isn't this pmuch the same wording as current regulation regarding user's submission in ToS?
lit120
oh finally, it's here, thank god...
Half
yey
[-CeMAqpOP-]kee
thank you.

4n3c wrote:

feel like this should be linked here for future reference even though it's already public
bn/qat member report form
Aiseca
Well, finally we have a word about this very important topic. Thanks a bunch for taking an action to this!
Adri
First i was like "let people do what they want" but thanks to this post I understand the decision and I believe it's by far the best one ! nice job
NEVlR
How are you planning to enforce the rule?
Say someone is mapping a song and pretends that he mapped it because he liked it; while in reality being commissionned to map it, how can you prove that he was getting paid to map this song?

Conversely, if someone reports a team member for doing commissions while in reality he was not, how can he (the team member in question) prove his innocence?

In other words, how can you be sure that someone is or isn't doing commissions?
KatouMegumi
Does "properly licensed content" only cover audio tracks, or does it also cover the backgrounds and hitsound samples?
MBomb

Kracy wrote:

That's really good move. Cool to see osu staff reacting fast to that kind of issues

"reacting fast"

mapping commissions have been around since before i joined 5 years ago, this isn't fast
Pennek
Thank you
Sparhten

peppy wrote:

Sparhten wrote:

Nothing. And completely banning it is not our goal here. See the second half of the original post which attempts to make this distinction.

mmm my concern about that was is that if there's nothing enforcing it other then it damages the reputation/future of the game people might not care/do it anyway because of selfish reasoning. But only time will tell. overall good change in the right direction at the least.
BluGalaxian
Thank you, osu! team! This exploitation was handled in the most fit way possible if you ask me.
Ryuusei Aika
(a). "... Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc) will be explicitly forbidden from undertaking or participating in paid modding, ranking OR beatmapping commissions ..."

- That means any member of osu! team can't get paid to mapping/modding/ranking, which indicates:
(1) A map can still get ranked if it's a commissioned map made by people who isn't a member of the osu! team, so long as any BN/QAT... who have modded/nominated it didn't get paid, and
(2)

peppy wrote:

Sparhten wrote:

> Nothing. And completely banning it is not our goal here. See the second half of the original post which attempts to make this distinction.

(b). "... we ask that all individuals who undertake commissioned work to do so tastefully, with utmost respect given to the license/rights-holders of any works involved in the creation of a beatmap - this includes obtaining proper licensing/clearance for all media/art/etc involved. "

That doesn't mean: "If a commissioned map doesn't have any permission from artists who have participated in making the song, then it would be strongly prohibited;"
It means: "We're still living in the grey area, please obey that simple convention, osu! players, PLEASE!"

BluGalaxian wrote:

Thank you, osu! team! This exploitation was handled in the most fit way possible if you ask me.
Cherry Blossom
Nice. Because a lot of people forget that making money on something that the mapper doesnt own any licence could have bad consequences to the game and the mapper itself...
Yugu
nice
TruGerman
Rip Sotarks lol
Chanci
🍿
Nevo
Nice :3c
Icekalt
i guess now everythings how it used to be 2 months b4
ill take it
FrenZ
At least this is something, which I'm glad about. However, I'd rather see a more concrete stance instead of a plea not to commission songs... because we all know how well asking people not to do things goes.
Suissie
Unecessary
MeschejrePL
You don't even know how happy I am to see this banned
AndrewRK
Very happy with this. Thanks for speaking out and thanks for all your hard work!
TomoridropMoeta
Well i follow what youwwant to do
Shaper
poggers.
DeletedUser_10883764
This means BNs can no longer get their maps ranked while they are still a BN ?
ImranNajmi
thank you osu staff, very cool!
woahsia
How will this be enforced in more vague cases? For example a member of the BNG or QAT can just set a donation goal on stream, and then when he reaches the goal he will make a map from a song that will be chosen from a poll that is voted on by followers. Does this still count as doing a commission as it is technically not done directly and would be unknown without proper context?
show more