forum

Oh no

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Reactions
Help I'm trapped in a time loop. What do?
payney
just go to bed lol
johnmedina999
Well, if you're in a time loop, then we all are. So make yourself comfortable, I guess.
levesterz
Just loop the time again to unloop it
Westonini
I suggest that before you attempt to figure out a way to break out of the loop, you first take 10-15 minutes for self-pity and crying. Get that all out of your system. It's ok, there's no shame. I'd lend you a shoulder to cry on but unfortunately I'm saying this from ACROSS THE NET.
abraker
Those ignorant people will get you stuck even more. Actual time traveler here that has much experience in that area.

First it's important to realize that you are indeed stuck in a time loop. Failure to realize means you will repeat the same events over and over without realizing. Even if everything restarts back to where it was, at least you have your memory or some way of communicate to the restarted what played out. Otherwise you could have not known you are in a time loop. Anyway, luckily you realize that you are in a time loop. Unluckily, you likely have tried to break out with no success. Anything you do, no matter how different, always ends up with you going back to where you started.

You can be stuck in a time loop for a variety of reasons, and odds are you don't know why. Yea, you can be chasing after something or trying to prevent something tragic, but you are blind for the most part. I highly recommend you do some investigative work. You have many, many shots at figuring out exactly how everything will play out. As you gain knowledge of how everything works, you will be able to come up with actions that widen your field of view so to say. With a better understanding of the events that will transcend, you can finally start to shake the outcomes.

So:
1) Cover the field; know enough to start advancing forward
2) By advancing forward you will start to shake away from loop stability
3) Hope destabilize the time loop that goes to a future you can accept

Good luck!
levesterz
Use toaster and bathtube to time travel.
Ender Lain
Delete Navi32 Folder
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

SPOILER
Those ignorant people will get you stuck even more. Actual time traveler here that has much experience in that area.

First it's important to realize that you are indeed stuck in a time loop. Failure to realize means you will repeat the same events over and over without realizing. Even if everything restarts back to where it was, at least you have your memory or some way of communicate to the restarted what played out. Otherwise you could have not known you are in a time loop. Anyway, luckily you realize that you are in a time loop. Unluckily, you likely have tried to break out with no success. Anything you do, no matter how different, always ends up with you going back to where you started.

You can be stuck in a time loop for a variety of reasons, and odds are you don't know why. Yea, you can be chasing after something or trying to prevent something tragic, but you are blind for the most part. I highly recommend you do some investigative work. You have many, many shots at figuring out exactly how everything will play out. As you gain knowledge of how everything works, you will be able to come up with actions that widen your field of view so to say. With a better understanding of the events that will transcend, you can finally start to shake the outcomes.

So:

Good luck!
Well, depending on what kind of time travel universe we're on, either OP remembers what happened during previous loops or he doesn't. The latter is probably more realistic (because at the end of the loop everything resets to the way it was at the beginning, including memory), but also means that OP is probably stuck forever, so that one's no fun. Let's assume reality is the former. This is great for OP if he's a scientist or an anime MC, or otherwise very smart and a quick thinker, because he has an infinite number of tries to end the time loop. He can, in theory, make a mental list and slowly exhaust it. However, the reality that most people leave out when contemplating a reality such as this one is that eventually the human mind will go mad. Seeing the exact same thing every day; talking to people, only to have them forget what you said to them five minutes later; perhaps even killing yourself and respawning when time loops; these all wear down the human mind. I believe it is the second-highest form of torture, with only immortality higher than it.

In short, you better hurry up and break out of that loop, OP.
Tad Fibonacci

abraker wrote:

So:

Good luck!
This man knows what's up, he's been in a loop watching one of his most important friend died over and over again for god knows how many times already.

So my advice is you trust the MAD SCIENTIST, sonuvabitch.
abraker
@John I see it as a second highest form of torture, not first. First would be mind instability. Consider fake memory implants, inducing hallucinations and memory loss. It can be reality shattering. If you get the chance, see the Playtest episode of Black Mirror (S3 E2)
Edgar_Figaro
I see time loop as worse than immortality. The reason for this is that a time loop would also make you immortal. At least with immortality you’d get to experience new things all the time while with a time loop it would be the same damn thing over and over. Of course I guess immortality could be worse if you get stuck drifting in space or something (aka immortality in the sense of your can’t die just not that you don’t age)
Aiseca

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I see time loop as worse than immortality. The reason for this is that a time loop would also make you immortal. At least with immortality you’d get to experience new things all the time while with a time loop it would be the same damn thing over and over. Of course I guess immortality could be worse if you get stuck drifting in space or something (aka immortality in the sense of your can’t die just not that you don’t age)

|This concludes that staying away from Serrai while doing some weird stuff is the best way to avoid contracting such.
abraker
Also John, where tech is going immortality is on the horizon. People will live centuries.
keremaru
so time machine
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

Also John, where tech is going immortality is on the horizon. People will live centuries.
So? Body modifications, implanted ID chips, and willing cyborg modifications are on the horizon as well, but that doesn't mean that you have to partake in using them.

I wouldn't have the money for it even if I wanted to, anyway.
abraker
The thing is that you said that immortality is torture of highest degree dispite that people will actually want to make themselves immortal and not going to feel as if it's torture
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

The thing is that you said that immortality is torture of highest degree dispite that people will actually want to make themselves immortal and not going to feel as if it's torture
They'll want to turn their immortality off after maybe two or three hundred years or so. You'll see.
abraker
Ofc even immortals will cease to be eventually. It's not a matter of if, but when.
However, if they are kept alive against their will, their only savior is retrograde amnesia.

Which puts it borderline to what I consider first degree torture.
Aiseca

abraker wrote:

There's a particular movie exactly revolves around this topic of immortality an why it is more of a curse than a good thing. I could not remember the title anymore but all I know is that it was an American movie somewhere made in the 2000.

That movie is good stuff. Highly recommended
show more