[Proposal] osu!mania Ranking Criteria (whole draft)

posted
Total Posts
56
show more
Noch Einen
Bro, you got the wrong point here. I believe it is "RC" and yet you give example on "Loved" state which "we made map based on creativity / anything"

DDMythical wrote:

Slider velocity changes that alter the scrolling speed of the map are disallowed. An exception to this rule would be creating slider velocity changes to unify the scroll speed in BPM-variable maps. Scroll normalization is mandatory and must be done in maps with variable BPM.


would https://osu.ppy.sh/s/704987 be regarded as an exception to this rule? This should not be a rule; it should be a guideline, and, if that, this presumes a congruency between physical difficulty (what star rating assesses, and determines whether the difficulty is an easy/normal/whatever) and visual/mental difficulty, with regards to svs. There is no major correlation between these two factors. A chart that is harder physically does not mean it is better suited for harsher svs than a chart physically lighter. In fact, it's the complete opposite. Looking at some of the most popular harsh sv charts in the game (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/572000 - Coinage
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/723624 - Back Of The Yards
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/108708 - dEKA
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/591171 - Groundhog
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/415946 - Chloroplast Skin
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/673208 - Cycles)
you can see that most, if not all of them, fall around a low difficulty range relative to the ability necessary to learn the SVs. As such, no explicit rule should be included which dictates congruency between physical ability and SVs, I don't disagree with it being a guideline, but even-so, it's presented in a sense which implies that as your chart is harder physically, it becomes better to use harsher svs, when, in reality, it is the complete converse. this is harmful to new charters.
I don't know if i should post this, i think BN / QAT should checked a map more carefully when qualify something.
I'm cool with upcoming RC guidelines.

Timing
I believe this guideline is from the past
"Also you need to add SV changes to your map when your song has multiple BPM changes. As an example: If your song has a BPM change from 150 to 200, the scroll speed of your notes will also get higher! To prevent this, we need to add an SV point at the BPM change to adjust the scroll speed to the average BPM."
I found some map were "breaking the guidelines" like Timing, hitsounding, offsets / BPM / snapping.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/189643 - dreamin' feat.Ryu☆ [2nd Kiai place as x1.05] (2014) (INFINITE)

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/113175 - Phantasmagoria (not quite same, yet similiar) [1st BPM place as half or 2nd BPM as double or reversed, idk which one] (2013) [All diff]

Hitsounding
I'm certainly sure hitsound consistency is brought up by Protastic101 before his map got ranked Camellia - Exit This Earth's Atomosphere
Yet i found inconsistent hs on jioyi - cyanine Rivals_7's map [Ultimate] is like this at 03:02:161 (182161|3) -
and hs vol conflict between [Another] & the rest of those diff (at some part) i can't tell where it is, i lost my data >:(

Snapping
There is 1 song has weird snapping (currently on pas ranked map) Mitsuyoshi Takenobu no Ani - Amphisbaena (i think this one is fine because minor problem, but i just pointed it out, so upcoming weird snap on other song would not be like this again)
Both ranked are using same pattern on 1 part (00:26:681 - which are late on vocal offsets, applies on 02:05:275 - too)

BPM / Offsets
Actually this is 1 of other big mistake on ranked map. Why do i say this? Because it has really early offset than precise location?
The song is Team Grimoire - Sheriruth. Try take a deep observation & listen carefully at 25% & 1/16 snapping from the whole diff / early (regardless of what diff they are, those are same). Still didn't believe it? try at 00:44:345 - and go 1/16 further & listen at 25%
MEGAtive

DDMythical wrote:

why is 180bpm picked as the standard for what measures are determined as too difficult for the player at any given level, if anything, pick 150 - it divides much better into certain bpms which are common at certain difficulty levels:
1/4 = 150
1/6 = 200
1/8 = 300
1/12 = 400
as opposed to:
1/4 = 180
1/6 = 270
1/8 = 360
1/12 = 540
which are significantly more illogical.
Seconding this.

Noch Einen wrote:

I found some map were "breaking the guidelines" like Timing, hitsounding, offsets / BPM / snapping.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/189643 - dreamin' feat.Ryu☆ [2nd Kiai place as x1.05] (2014) (INFINITE)

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/113175 - Phantasmagoria (not quite same, yet similiar) [1st BPM place as half or 2nd BPM as double or reversed, idk which one] (2013) [All diff]
Uh, you do realize you are using a 2013/2014 era maps where ranking criteria are still being constructed from the ground right? This rules/guidelines is written to guide upcoming maps, not to adapt its way with a 5-year old maps.

And 1.05x isn't a big deal. You can still see the notes traversing vertically.

Noch Einen wrote:

Hitsounding
I'm certainly sure hitsound consistency is brought up by Protastic101 before his map got ranked Camellia - Exit This Earth's Atomosphere
Yet i found inconsistent hs on jioyi - cyanine Rivals_7's map [Ultimate] is like this at 03:02:161 (182161|3) -
and hs vol conflict between [Another] & the rest of those diff (at some part) i can't tell where it is, i lost my data >:(

Snapping
There is 1 song has weird snapping (currently on pas ranked map) Mitsuyoshi Takenobu no Ani - Amphisbaena (i think this one is fine because minor problem, but i just pointed it out, so upcoming weird snap on other song would not be like this again)
Both ranked are using same pattern on 1 part (00:26:681 - which are late on vocal offsets, applies on 02:05:275 - too)

BPM / Offsets
Actually this is 1 of other big mistake on ranked map. Why do i say this? Because it has really early offset than precise location?
The song is Team Grimoire - Sheriruth. Try take a deep observation & listen carefully at 25% & 1/16 snapping from the whole diff / early (regardless of what diff they are, those are same). Still didn't believe it? try at 00:44:345 - and go 1/16 further & listen at 25%
Also this is a thread for discussing the upcoming ranking rules/guidelines, not a thread for discussing the times where Nominators weren't paying attention, missed something or two back then and should DQ or Derank stuff. It is already in the past, and this is discussing the future of osu!mania ranking scene rules/guide.
DDMythical
itt ddmythical evaluates (150/4)x12 as 400
lenpai
Seconding DD's notion that the reference bpm works better at 150

At this point ill assume my memory of the proposed RC is correct. Im on mobile and it's not worth the effort to open the document.

As the mapper of lesson by dj, the set does not break the rule. The BASIC diff exists to fill in the "Easy" diff of the spread. Challenge is the secondary and top diff of the spread which gives it all the creative freedom with sv usages. The only limitation is that it cannot be a Hard diff or harder (snap + pattern rule/guidelines considered). Note that the easy rule/guideline section pertains to an intended Easy diff in the spread and not necessarily every single E icon map.

If anything, i think single diff E icon sv challenge can be ranked with the duration based spread rules in place. Else, a filler NSV note reduced diff will need to be added. Confirmation needed.

If the diff next to the filler easy would be subject to Normal's sv rules, that would stink a lot.
Maxus
Thank you for all the feedback guys! we will sort all the problems that being pointed out and tried to come out with alternative solution that will be implemented in the next RC draft round of community feedback. For now will lock the thread.
Maxus
So, we are back with another update for mania RC!
The new update can be seen here for everyone : https://gist.github.com/pishifat/3983da22af830b120bf566addf1425ae

For most part, we already revise some of the guidelines based on the community feedback, but some of them we keep based on the full consideration of the difficulty level for the mentioned difficulties. (In case there's something that we missing, it may be mentioned again)
Also, we add some of the rules on our own that we think are necessary to be implemented in the RC. The most notable changes are the separate guidelines for both 4K and 7K that need further discussion from community input.

We'll leave this open for 1 week to gather community feedback before we locked this thread again.
abraker
Two notes cannot be placed in a single column at the same timestamp
Which makes me wonder: Should 1ms jacks be rankable? 10ms?

Every note should correlate to a sound present in the music. This should be a distinct sound, but can also coherently represent a continuous sound with an indistinguishable start or end.
Might be picky on the wording, but it feels like this is saying only one note can be allocated for each "sound". "Sound" ofc is rather abstract, but it's easy to misinterpret that to be notes in the actual music as well. So if you have a wub, for example, it would be easy to misinterpret, accidentally or otherwise, that you can't have a burst of notes representing that, and instead need to use a single LN instead. I suggest using "noise" instead of "sound" since it relates more to how something actually sounds instead of the objectified concept of some kind of sound.


Overall, great improvement!
-mint-
at first glance common terms looks badly organized especially with the SV stuff

the definition for Grace can be misinterpreted to something jacky, might wanna clarify
actually that whole section needs a cleanup too

the second bullet point for rules as abraker pointed out should mention what aimod says is allowed (iirc, 20ms?)
lenpai
I dont think there's a great need to mention on what limits is there on spacing between two jacking notes. Community feedback and modding will weed out fringe cases like these. I doubt anyone tried to rank a map with a 1ms jack let alone a 1/16 jack.

What constitutes a distinct sound is a good point to talk about as it gives way to arguments on what's chartable or not. This goes for noise elements like static or wubs. I'm inclined to believe that degree of dumping would be allowable due to this clause:
"would be effectively represented with a consistent, predictable snap"

with that said, i still believe this guideline is unnecessary:
"Long notes should not have release timings that use different timing snaps. For example, long note releases should not have a 1/3 snap on the end of it and a 1/4 snap at the end of another. However, long note releases that are used with common multiples can be used."

I doubt newbie mappers would really try to do this and just simplify and that leaves the more experienced mappers that intentionally follow certain snappings not to mention fringe cases for sound durations. With o2 style lning (ln overextentions and quick presses of varying lengths) permissible i really dont see the need for this.

"Rhythm related guidelines apply to approximately 180 BPM maps." Try to make a poll on this. I still strongly believe 150 BPM should be the standard as it enforces the guidelines better particularly E/N diffs for a greater scope of music.

Normal Rule: "A long note cannot be released during another long note’s body. This requires a level of finger independence that players of this difficulty cannot handle."

While a perfectly sensible rule for faster music, this eliminates potentially very fitting patterns for calmer music. It enforces the idea, for example, that holding a 4/1 LN at 1 and hitting a 1/2 LN at 4 is "too difficult" for a player to handle. Take it from me i have the tendency to suggest general nerfs to a couple of Normals i mod. What i agree with though is that releases cannot happen on the same physical hand (not to be confused with 3-not hand) where say if an LN is held at col 1, and an LN is held at col 2, releasing at col 2 while holding col 1 can be prohibited. Separate hand releases demand much less coordination.

That being said, the existence of the normal rule makes this 7k rule unnecessary:
"Long notes played with adjacent keys that are held simultaneously should be released at the same time. Long notes with multiple release timings require coordination that players of this level cannot reasonably handle."

If normal is the lowest diff rule: I'm inclined to think thay the forced normalization rule should be out as something as tame as a 0.9 slowjam is transistion material to stronger values. That being said the 0.9 to 1.05x sv rule should be the rule in place relative to their normalized values.

Everything else looks sensible. While i still disagree with the existence of other guidelines, removing them is not as necessary as the LN snap thing
Maxus
Thank you for the feedback so far!
I will respond to some of the questions that probably already been addressed before but haven't got any clarification yet.

abraker wrote:

Two notes cannot be placed in a single column at the same timestamp
Which makes me wonder: Should 1ms jacks be rankable? 10ms?
The notion of 1ms or 10ms are equal to something that's even faster than 1/16 snap, which is calculated as unsnap which therefore are unrankable.
Even for the sake's of argument let's say it's possible to snap 1ms or 10ms accurately, the question pretty much can be asked to any other game modes on "do snapping note 1ms differences are rankable?" which as lenfried said, will be more based on modding and community feedback that will pretty much impossible to be allowed.

Lenfried- wrote:

What constitutes a distinct sound is a good point to talk about as it gives way to arguments on what's chartable or not. This goes for noise elements like static or wubs. I'm inclined to believe that degree of dumping would be allowable due to this clause:
"would be effectively represented with a consistent, predictable snap"
That sentences refers more about simplification snap rather than about dump mapping, which already been stated in the draft before.
The dump discussion already been held before, however due to non-conclusion discussion that already going for multiple years, we decided to drop the topic and focus on amended the RC as of now.

Lenfried- wrote:

with that said, i still believe this guideline is unnecessary:
"Long notes should not have release timings that use different timing snaps. For example, long note releases should not have a 1/3 snap on the end of it and a 1/4 snap at the end of another. However, long note releases that are used with common multiples can be used."
This rule supposed to be deleted long time ago, but it somehow appeared again in the draft, will delete it soon.

Lenfried- wrote:

"Rhythm related guidelines apply to approximately 180 BPM maps." Try to make a poll on this. I still strongly believe 150 BPM should be the standard as it enforces the guidelines better particularly E/N diffs for a greater scope of music.
After some discussion, we decided to keep the BPM as 180, we have multiple reasons for this choices:
1. Every other modes using 180 BPM as their baseline, having only mania modes alone that using different BPM only causing confusion between newcomers as there is no particular reason for using different one to begin with.
2. Most mania song falls more comfortably at 180 BPM instead of 150 BPM which is relatively slow-ish for mania especially in 4K where most of classic rythm game song also using BPM around that range. having 180 BPM will be more beneficial to adapt especially for mania game where the mapping of instrument song are more common compared with other modes.
3. There's a wiki page that already told community how to scaling BPM using 180 BPM as the base: https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!/Scaling_BPM , so it won't be confusing anymore if people just read this page.

Lenfried- wrote:

Normal Rule: "A long note cannot be released during another long note’s body. This requires a level of finger independence that players of this difficulty cannot handle."
What we mean by this rule, is something like this actually: https://puu.sh/CBYbw/bce1e0de81.jpg , the rule was made based on consideration that it's overcomplicating difficulty specifically made for newbie player no matter what the combination possible from those kind of LNs.
and we do aware that the wording might be a bit ambiguous at the moment, so any feedback about proper wording that specifically talking about those kind of LNs will be appreciated.
Hydria
Pattern Terminology Cleanup
performed
Why use this weird term, why not just say "pressed" instead, performed makes it sound like you have to dance to hit keys

Anchor: A pattern that has a relatively high amount of notes in one column, usually found within different types of streams.
Can be confused with jacks, though i personally can't think of a better way to phrase it.

Chordstream (Jumpstream, Handstream, Quadstream): In 5k and higher keymodes, chordstreams are streams that mix different types of chords. In 4k, streams with chords are either called jumpstreams, handstreams, or quadstreams depending on the highest chord type used.
This is a fucking mess, split Jumpstream/Handstream/Quadstream into different categories or at least link them to their relative chord density (Jump - 2, Hand - 3) don't leave room for ambiguity.

Reverse Shield
Missed terminology, see https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/523609376385269780/539508237460963363/Osumania_Pattern__Repository.png in fact it might be worth just having this available in the wiki anyway since hiding information just to not overwhelm a new charter then leaves them room for incorrect interpretation in future development also images are pretty


Rules
If multiple key modes are present in a single beatmap set, the keymode must be denoted in the difficulty name.
Do we have to? There's enough indications these days for key modes which makes this feel a bit redundant (this used to be a website issue but no longer)
See:
< Website
< Client


Guidelines
Slider velocity changes should be snapped according to the song's beat structure.
pfftt yeah right


Easy
Rules
Slider velocity changes that alter the scrolling speed of the beatmap are disallowed. Slider velocity changes to unify the scroll speed in variable BPM beatmaps are exempt.

Scroll normalization must be done in beatmaps with variable BPM.
Redundancy


Normal
Rules
A long note cannot be released during another long note’s body. This requires a level of finger independence that players of this difficulty cannot handle.
I feel that since normal goes up to like what 2.7* now that users should be able to release notes in another's body, after all https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/741207#mania/1588737 was ranked as a normal and has it available, either this rule needs clarifying with snapping or changed to a guideline


guidelines prob has additional issues but they're guidelines so they can be ignored weeeee
abraker

Maxus wrote:

The notion of 1ms or 10ms are equal to something that's even faster than 1/16 snap, which is calculated as unsnap which therefore are unrankable.
What prevents someone from using ridiculously high bpm? I suggest making a rule that says that the BPM set for the map cannot exceed two or three or etc times the BPM of the song. That should allow up to 1/32 or 1/48 or etc snapping relative to the song. Depends on what the smallest snapping you believe should be acceptable.
Hydria

abraker wrote:

Maxus wrote:

The notion of 1ms or 10ms are equal to something that's even faster than 1/16 snap, which is calculated as unsnap which therefore are unrankable.
What prevents someone from using ridiculously high bpm? I suggest making a rule that says that the BPM set for the map cannot exceed two or three or etc times the BPM of the song. That should allow up to 1/32 or 1/48 or etc snapping relative to the song. Depends on what the smallest snapping you believe should be acceptable.
https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria#timing.1
lenpai
@maxus ok i sort of agree with that but if ever that rule could only apply on "if normal is the easiet diff". The screenshot you sent alongside other tricky ln stuff falls under "tech releases" (unless someone can coin a better term). Since it's a tricky pattern to put into words concisely, id rather see explicit screenshot usages backed up with text so like:
Normal as lowest diff in the set:
The following LN usages are not allowed:
LNs where two or more LNs held are at the same physical hand (ex. col 0|2 for 4k, col 0|1|2 for 7k) but have different release timings:
insert screenshot
Once an LN is released, if there is another LN being held, it can only be released after x (placeholder) amount of time

something like that but its a little rough.

@hydria pattern repository
the terms for shield and reverse shield are reversed
shields = rice note followed by an LN
reversed shields = LN followed by a rice note
ik its tails' and you didnt make it but im just putting this out as general information

source for claim: convo with an o2 guy

with that said, i think the pattern repository is a great addition as reference material in the RC
Maxus

Hydria wrote:

Pattern Terminology Cleanup
performed
Why use this weird term, why not just say "pressed" instead, performed makes it sound like you have to dance to hit keys
Yeah right, will consider to change this later.

Hydria wrote:

Anchor: A pattern that has a relatively high amount of notes in one column, usually found within different types of streams.
Can be confused with jacks, though i personally can't think of a better way to phrase it.
Well anchors are basically jack pattern that got mixed with streams , while pure jack pattern usually doesn't get mixed with the streams. imo the terminology should already describe the differences quite clearly.

Hydria wrote:

Chordstream (Jumpstream, Handstream, Quadstream): In 5k and higher keymodes, chordstreams are streams that mix different types of chords. In 4k, streams with chords are either called jumpstreams, handstreams, or quadstreams depending on the highest chord type used.
This is a fucking mess, split Jumpstream/Handstream/Quadstream into different categories or at least link them to their relative chord density (Jump - 2, Hand - 3) don't leave room for ambiguity.
Yeah agree with this, i think chordstream should only be described for 5K and above. While technically 4K can use that terms, but very rarely they used this and instead using jumpstream/handstream/quadstream. So yeah, will fix this to refer only 5K and above.


Hydria wrote:

Reverse Shield
Missed terminology, see https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/523609376385269780/539508237460963363/Osumania_Pattern__Repository.png in fact it might be worth just having this available in the wiki anyway since hiding information just to not overwhelm a new charter then leaves them room for incorrect interpretation in future development also images are pretty
Well the terminology in the RC library only for the words that get used in describing the rules, while the terminology that doesn't mentioned in either RC rules/guidelines should be put in the mania wiki instead.

As of now, the wiki still far from being complete, so any effort from community help will be appreciated to complete that.

Hydria wrote:

Rules
If multiple key modes are present in a single beatmap set, the keymode must be denoted in the difficulty name.
Do we have to? There's enough indications these days for key modes which makes this feel a bit redundant (this used to be a website issue but no longer)
See:
< Website
< Client
nice point here, we will consider about this, since this rule was being made while we still use v1 website, but now not anymore.

Hydria wrote:

Easy
Rules
Slider velocity changes that alter the scrolling speed of the beatmap are disallowed. Slider velocity changes to unify the scroll speed in variable BPM beatmaps are exempt.

Scroll normalization must be done in beatmaps with variable BPM.
Redundancy
Well if the "exempt" clarification didn't exist, it will only make it more redundant since the first rule said the SV disallowed but the second rules saying SV for normalization must exist

If there's better sentences to put it, i'm all ears.

Hydria wrote:

Normal
Rules
A long note cannot be released during another long note’s body. This requires a level of finger independence that players of this difficulty cannot handle.
I feel that since normal goes up to like what 2.7* now that users should be able to release notes in another's body, after all https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/741207#mania/1588737 was ranked as a normal and has it available, either this rule needs clarifying with snapping or changed to a guideline


guidelines prob has additional issues but they're guidelines so they can be ignored weeeee
Well, we don't use SR to determine difficulty anymore once RC get released, we simply dictate the difficulty by what makes normal a normal. and based on our discussion, those type of LNs don't really suitable for newbie learning curve even for lower BPM.

abraker wrote:

Maxus wrote:

The notion of 1ms or 10ms are equal to something that's even faster than 1/16 snap, which is calculated as unsnap which therefore are unrankable.
What prevents someone from using ridiculously high bpm? I suggest making a rule that says that the BPM set for the map cannot exceed two or three or etc times the BPM of the song. That should allow up to 1/32 or 1/48 or etc snapping relative to the song. Depends on what the smallest snapping you believe should be acceptable.
Basically what Hydria said.
you can't really set bpm as you want because it has its own rules in the general Ranking Criteria, we simply doesn't stated it again in mania RC because it already been stated before.

Lenfried- wrote:

@maxus ok i sort of agree with that but if ever that rule could only apply on "if normal is the easiet diff". The screenshot you sent alongside other tricky ln stuff falls under "tech releases" (unless someone can coin a better term). Since it's a tricky pattern to put into words concisely, id rather see explicit screenshot usages backed up with text so like:
Normal as lowest diff in the set:
The following LN usages are not allowed:
LNs where two or more LNs held are at the same physical hand (ex. col 0|2 for 4k, col 0|1|2 for 7k) but have different release timings:
insert screenshot
Once an LN is released, if there is another LN being held, it can only be released after x (placeholder) amount of time

something like that but its a little rough.
I'm unsure whether putting screenshot into something as formal as RC draft is something that can be done honestly. I probably need to confirm this in advance before putting something that never been done in RC before.

-------

Thank you again for the feedback!
MEGAtive

Hydria wrote:

Rules
If multiple key modes are present in a single beatmap set, the keymode must be denoted in the difficulty name.
Do we have to? There's enough indications these days for key modes which makes this feel a bit redundant (this used to be a website issue but no longer)
See:
< Website
< Client
Adding here that you can't have exact same difficulty name because the filename will conflict with each other in the folder.

Let's say that you have "XXX - Maniaxxx (Mapper) [Easy].osu" as the 4K Easy and "XXX - Maniaxxx (Mapper) [Easy] - Copy.osu" as the 7K. Initially you will still see both of the map when the map is loaded. But when you update the 7K, osu! will rename the file to "XXX - Maniaxxx (Mapper) [Easy].osu" replacing the 4K one. Fortunately, the client will tell you if you are going to overwrite an existing map and you can abort. But with how modding cycle is and how often a map is going to be updated, it will be a drag to maintain the folder.
abraker
In common terms

Key Mode: The number of keys present in a difficulty.
A nitpick but I think it's better to use words with established definitions instead of assuming the reader knows what words are referring to. In this case I would change it to, "Key Mode: The number of columns present in a difficulty" because "columns" has been clearly defined prior but "keys" has not. It's hard to imagine how anyone would "keys" can refer to something else, but I think it's better to preserve basis.

-

Keysounding: Hit sounding using samples extremely similar or directly from the song in their respective places. This method of hit sounding usually provides low feedback to the player.
I am not sure what "low feedback" means here. Does it mean to say "minor feedback" as in it is usually not the main/major source of feedback for the player?

-

Slider Velocity: ...
I would put the definition for this before defining "Long Term Slider Velocity" and "Short Term Slider Velocity". I would also put those two next to each other. They are currently separated by "Musical Phrase", and I think it's better to group the SV related stuff together.



Pattern terminology

Anchor: A pattern that has a relatively high amount of notes in one column, usually found within different types of streams.
According to this definition there can be multiple anchors present in an overall pattern simultaneously so long as one column has relatively lower amount of notes. This means 3 of the 4 columns can have relatively high amount of notes compared to a column with relatively low amount of notes, and you can selectively pick one of those 3 columns and claim they are an anchor. I am not sure whether this intended or not, but if not, I would word it as "relatively higher amount of notes in one column than any other column".

-

Inverse: A type of pattern that replaces all regular notes with long notes in a given section, commonly when there are enough long notes to cover a majority of the playfield.
I think this is a weak definition of inverse as it relies on the concept of what should be replaced. I would also argue that "commonly when there are enough long notes to cover a majority of the playfield." is not entirely accurate as you can have inverse type of patterns limited to a few columns and still be inverse. Arguably as low as two columns would be sufficient enough for an inverse pattern like this one. I would define it as, "A type of pattern that consists of mostly long notes and has spaces that span less than the length of the surrounding long notes".
Maxus
Alright thank you for all your feedback. We will go through all of them and fix what needs to be fixed. Stay tuned
pishifat
Topic Starter
Feerum
As of today, the new osu!mania Ranking Criteria is officially live!
It can be found here: https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria/osu!mania

Furthermore, like with the other mode RC changes:
As of the big amount of changes, only beatmaps submitted past this amendment are going under this new set of rules. Every beatmap submitted prior this amendment will get treated and handled under the previous set of rules.

This legacy regulation expires in 6 months from today on. Everything that is not nominated within the next 6 months will also be treated under the new ruleset then.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply