forum

[Archived] Question about score and ranking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
osuspls
Up until now I assumed the higher the score of a playthrough the higher it would rank, or the lower the number indicating its rank position would be.
Let's call this descending score-value-ranking for easier reference and because of autistic tendencies.

And the first rank position playthrough amongst your local ranking would give your ranked score in all the other rankings, because these employ descending score-value-ranking as well.
And the first local rank position playthrough would also give the letter grade indicator displayed on the beatmap in the selection wheel.

On the beatmap This game (TV Size) | P A N's Easy Game I
first had 3 playthroughs with a B letter grade,
then 1 playthrough with higher score but a C letter grade, resulting in the C being displayed on the beatmap,
then 3 playthroughs with higher scores than the C letter grade playthrough with a S letter grade, but none of them changed my globally ranked score or the displayed letter grade.
I just did my 4th S playthrough or 8th total playthrough on this beatmap and now it counts my 2nd ranked playthrough.

Can anyone explain to me how the system behind this is really handled and if so, please do so.

Thank you very much
marcelo
yeah you've got it right it does put in the rank of the highest score you've got. unless you played it with global leaderboards on and had a higher score than your local leaderboards #1
Topic Starter
osuspls

nloader wrote:

yeah you've got it right it does put in the rank of the highest score you've got. unless you played it with global leaderboards on and had a higher score than your local leaderboards #1

Wait, you can play with global leaderboards off? Aren't all ranked beatmaps automatically globally ranked when played?
Tobias Leander
I would recommend u to read about how the scoring system works at the osu wiki.

Here is an example
If the score is higher on a play than the other it will be the top play, but in your case, where u got an S and it didn't go above the C play, i think u might have gotten a sliderbreak, sliderbreaks makes u lose your combo but doesn't count as a miss, so lets say u get a play with 94% accuracy but u did 7 sliderbreaks, and u had a play with 1 miss with 82% accuracy and it only has 1 miss and no sliderbreaks, the score of the C play would be higher because u didn't lose your combo 7 times to sliderbreaks but only once, resulting in it having a higher score.