forum

Is it possible to be good at osu if i'm stupid?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
26dollar
Is being bad at osu a clear indication that i'm a mentally retarded? I've been playing since 2015 and no matter how much i play I don't get any better and i can barely beat 4 star maps. Are there any stupid people out there who are good at osu? Am I doomed to be retarded for life?
Sandy Hoey
Unless you have been playing offline, you only have 23 hours of play time across all 4 modes. That's not 4 years
Topic Starter
26dollar

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Unless you have been playing offline, you only have 23 hours of play time across all 4 modes. That's not 4 years

yes i don't have internet much
Juuuuuuuuul
Interesting question lol, i'm at 711 hours playtime and still do shit on high 3* and low 4*, maybe i'm retarded too. :D
DXPOHIHIHI

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

Interesting question lol, i'm at 711 hours playtime and still do shit on high 3* and low 4*, maybe i'm retarded too. :D

your possibly the worst player I've ever seen in the whole osu community..

OP don't feel bad, always remember that there's always that one person who's doing less fine than you
Kuroni

szkiller wrote:

OP don't feel bad, always remember that there's always that one person who's doing less fine than you

But what if i was the person at the very bottom?
Juuuuuuuuul
The right anwser is yes, it's possible to be good even if stupid.
Evidences are there in the forums. ;)
Tad Fibonacci
imo Osu has nothing to do with intelligence. It's a game about memorizing patterns with muscle memory through practice.
So I guess you don't have to be smart to be able to be good at the game.
From what I saw in your profile, you only have around 20 hours of play time, that's not a lot at all.
im flat
lmao anybody braindead can become good at osu
OneTrueDuceOK
Play the maps that challenge your limit daily, going out of your comfort range, and work on what you're not good at.
Deva
According to all the top players who say that they are bad at the game, no, you can't become good at osu no matter what.
SpasticSurgeon
Naw osu! Is all about neuro motor stuff. Aka not related to your cerebral cortex but coordination and muscle memory.

I'm actually interested in people that are especially bad at osu!, but I think it can usually be explained by lack of proper practice. If you are trying to get better, there are lots of ways to waste time in the game by playing the "wrong" maps. And even if you are playing the right maps for your improvement, your quality and kind of focus and motivation also play a large factor.

So basically, there are a lot of reasons someone could be trash. But none of them probable have to do with you being stupid.

There is an argument to be made that a dumb person would have trouble identifying the right maps to practice on, and I think if you have severe mental disabilities rhythm and musical sense may be hindered (citation needed). But even then, someone could just tell you what to work on and you could memorize that or play songs out of a list. And if you really didn't have any musical ability you could still learn the game through pure visuals.

There is a type of mentally disabled that was once called "custodial retarded", which is now a very dated and offensive term by most standards. These kinds of people would have problems with basic tasks like tying their shoes, dressing, and feeding themselves. These are probably the only category of disabled people I could see not having the basic understanding or coordination to become good at this game. But there's no way a person like this could even make your forum post.

So if someone has a lot of hours and is still not improving, I would guess it's because they have some sort of aversion to practicing properly, or have some sort of coordination disability, of which I know nothing about but probably exist.
Wreven
bruh you're gonna be fine, just play more (with the intention of getting better). I've hit many walls in my time playing, and somehow through just playing more, before even realizing it, I've broken past the wall somehow.