forum

Do you think off-topic will last through the the 2020's?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker

This thread is now about the 80's

Aiseca
Good times....
levesterz
afro hair
KemZii
impossible
Westonini
Probably unless humanity ceases to exist.
Ender Lain
~~ooooouuu ooooo Sweet Child O' Mine~~
ColdTooth
Did I walk into General Discussions?
MisakiTobisawa-
Maybe, to both questions.

As for me, I'll be busier next year so you may not see me around as much :(
johnmedina999
Here's a better question. How long until "the 20s" start referring to the 2020s, "the 30s" to 2030s, "the 40s" to 2040s, etc.?
Topic Starter
abraker
I think 2070's maybe 2060's. My understanding is that people call the 'xx in regards to the cultural shadow it has created over the century. So by 2040 the 20's will be still be refered as the roaring twenties of 1920's unless something larger happens in 2020 that overtakes the relevance/significance of 1920's.

Cultural nostalgia usually takes 10-20 years to develop. For example, I think the embellishment of the "good old 90's" didn't take off until early 2010's. Before that, the 90's could have only be refered to as the 1890's, but it had a weak cultural association with it. That's why it took the 1990's so fast to catch on as the 90's.

So 1920's has set a quite high bar to beat, lest WWIII or some cultural phenomenon occurs. If the bar is beaten, then the 20's will be refered to 2020's some 15 to 20 years after (2035 - 2040), otherwise 1920's is going to continue roaring throughout the current century for some time.
Aiseca
Makes sense. The scientist is right.
keremaru
is this the 102020's
Topic Starter
abraker
will years actually go that high? I bet calander will be reset sometime between 10,000 and 50,000.
Endaris
I think it might take well until 2100+ because it's just relatively convenient to say "two-twenty".
And I wasn't aware you were such an unreasonable optimist, abraker.
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

will years actually go that high? I bet calander will be reset sometime between 10,000 and 50,000.
In all seriousness, I don't think humanity will survive to see the year 3000.
Topic Starter
abraker
2-20's hmmm interesting, now I am not entirely sure myself. So I'll settle on 20's v2 because the future will likely be ruled by corny memes.
keremaru
fair statement
Ashton
As an off-topic enthusiast and professional scientist with no flaws at all, I can confirm that off-topic will still be around in the 2020's. However, judging by the current neurolgocial osmosis diffusional membrane cytoplasmic ribosomistic endoplasmical reticulumical randomsciencewordthatilearnedlastweekbecauseimabigbraine future, it will look much different.
Aiseca

Ashton wrote:

As an off-topic enthusiast and professional scientist with no flaws at all, I can confirm that off-topic will still be around in the 2020's. However, judging by the current neurolgocial osmosis diffusional membrane cytoplasmic ribosomistic endoplasmical reticulumical randomsciencewordthatilearnedlastweekbecauseimabigbraine future, it will look much different.

Uhmmmm... What the duck is dis!?
Topic Starter
abraker
Aiseca, you could have not quoted and still be correct
show more