forum

[Rule]Eastern Artists Format

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abalee
Sorry to bring it up again, but I am wondering that am I the only one who support the 'firstname surname' format? I guess it's done on this thread but nothing changed so I think we should make it clear.

Reason for 'firstname surname':
1. osu! is English based, that could be pretty fine we could follow the Western name format.
2. Most album covers are named in 'firstname surname'. Examples like:
3.Wikipidia.

For Chinese Artists, most of them have English name so it should be used. If the artists doesn't have reliable source that they have western name format, use the alphabet directly. Korean Artists too.

Question:
Q: booklet is different from wiki!
A: follow the booklet, it's offical named. seeing this, and

lepidopodus
Previous discussion about this: t/56767
(I think I write about this before but I can't access my previous post about this lololol)

As I know, for Japanese alphabetical name format 'firstname surname' system is widely used, while they actually using 'surname firstname'. So abalee's 2nd claim is considerable. This might be good to read.

But this may not apply to Korean & Chinese names.

Oh and about 'Hatsune Miku vs Miku Hatsune', see this cover. You can see 'Hatsune Miku' written in English under her name written in Japanese, so it can be a special case, huh? Like this we need to consider about individual case while we need to have a rule or guideline if we can't find any appropriate source about this.
ziin
I very much prefer SURNAME Firstname, regardless of any official way, since the "official" way varies from composer to composer.

this might be a good read wrote:

It recommended using capitalization (YAMADA Taro) or commas (Yamada, Taro) to clarify which part of the personal name is the family name and which part is the given name
There should be no "special cases" and with a capitalized surname, there is no doubt about the proper form. As a westerner, I have a very hard time figuring out whether or not a name is in firstname/lastname or lastname/firstname format. Yamada Taro and Taro Yamada both sound like first names OR surnames, so either could be correct.

In english, an equivalent would be "Robert John". Both are common first names and last names, and it's strange to see it, but since there's only one way to order a name, it's easy to figure out which name is the surname and which is the first name.
HakuNoKaemi
Well, I much prefer changing the names to the booklet ones. Being Eastern doesn't mean we can't use the name they want to be used, the one they insert in booklets, album and so.
GigaClon
I would be in favor of replacing the rule with, "Please format the name as the artist does, Check wikipedia, other maps or ask MAT/BAT"
HakuNoKaemi
"check album covers"
ziin
what happens when they differ?
Scorpiour
in common, i would like to check that via youtube, wiki, album cover or other ranked-maps. It's well knwon that is weird to read eastern names with Surname->Given name order. So i suppose keep it natural is okay :)
ziin
lastname, firstname is not strange at all in any language.
HakuNoKaemi
If an author artist either orders, keep the consistent one.
If there are no maps of that artist, keep the eastern name.
ampzz
I am for the rulings to enforce a certain format.

Would it not make more sense to generalise a single ruling of having the artist being listed in the 'western' format of [First name] [Surname] to ensure consistency across the board?

Sure enough it is enforcing a conformity which other cultures may find to be off-putting but overall this would help to cancel out any confusion for current and new beatmap creators as to how they should have to worry about if they have the artist name in the correct form.

This would force a clear understanding that the concept of artist tag should be in the English style instead of the localised format.

Side note:
In reference to Hatsune Miku; 'her' voice is officially stated to be as aforementioned in the first name, last name English format as stated via Crypton Future Media here who are the proprietor of vocaloid software.
ziin

ampzz wrote:

Side note:
In reference to Hatsune Miku; 'her' voice is officially stated to be as aforementioned in the first name, last name English format as stated via Crypton Future Media here who are the proprietor of vocaloid software.
try that one again please. I'm lost in bad grammar and japanese links.
ampzz
Two unnecessary words in it with 'as stated' being a random repeat done at about 3am, can you seriously blame me for that?

Simplified version if it was too hard to understand in regards to the Hatsune Miku issue:

Crypton Future Media, the proprietor/official licensee of 'her' software, have the name officially stated as Hatsune Miku in a first to last name basis; with the source I am utilising for this claim to be their online shop. This details product information for the vocaloid software and even Wikipedia (who always rearrange into a standard English format) have it listed as such.

Sources:
Crypton Future Media - http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/do/prod?id=29880
Product brochure - http://www.crypton.co.jp/download/pdf/info_miku_e.pdf
Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsune_Miku

The only inconsistency that Wikipedia had was in the image tag for the software box, this should have read as; Hatsune_miku_cover.jpg instead.
ziin
so kagamine rin and kagamine len have the same first name?
Scorpiour

ziin wrote:

"kagamine" is Surname of course, same as all other asians.

Now i think Surname->Given name would be a good choice because somebody told me that "ah...Rie kugimiya is heard weird if you're a japanese.

So, with another reason that Asians have no middle name, i would like to write artists' names as Surname,Given name as well.
HakuNoKaemi
We should go for the "correct" alternative presented in covers.
If there are two covers names for an artist, then use the more famous one. Though if they're equally used, then choose the more consistent one.
And this should cover all cases.
ziin

Scorpiour wrote:

ziin wrote:

"kagamine" is Surname of course, same as all other asians.

Now i think Surname->Given name would be a good choice because somebody told me that "ah...Rie kugimiya is heard weird if you're a japanese.

So, with another reason that Asians have no middle name, i would like to write artists' names as Surname,Given name as well.
Ampzz is saying that Hatsune is first name, Miku is last name.
Scorpiour

ziin wrote:

lol

Hatsune = 初音 as surname
&
Miku = 未来 (or ミク)as given name

it could be easily to know via google.....
Ekaru

Scorpiour wrote:

ziin wrote:

lol

Hatsune = 初音 as surname
&
Miku = 未来 (or ミク)as given name

it could be easily to know via google.....
This. It's also easy to know by knowing that in Japanese fiction, surnames are typically written in kanji while first names are typically written in katakana, and that is the case here. Also, just to be clear, those pages are referring to the product "Hatsune Miku", not the persona Hatsune Miku. Product names are treated differently than personas and people. It's wonderful, ain't it?

EDIT: My stance on the rule is, "Who cares?" Just go with what makes the most sense for that artist.
ziin

Ekaru wrote:

Also, just to be clear, those pages are referring to the product "Hatsune Miku", not the persona Hatsune Miku. Product names are treated differently than personas and people. It's wonderful, ain't it?

EDIT: My stance on the rule is, "Who cares?" Just go with what makes the most sense for that artist.
This makes sense and is obscenely stupid.

I will only agree to 2 methods: Firstname [Middlename] Lastname or a transliteration of the name in the countries origin. When Japan switches the way they say names into a western style is when I will want Japanese artists to be listed that way.

This matters because of how osu sorts artists and how osu tags work.
emergist
I prefer obeying the countries origin.
HakuNoKaemi
not to the artist preference?
show more